Why become a member? ×

Bands you just discovered that made you go “Wow!”

TrevorR

On 04/01/2019 at 16:48, xgsjx said:

Cheers. They sound right up my street.  I’m big into ambient electronica stuff such as Orb, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis (Blade Runner is possibly my fave album) & so on.

Ive had a little listen to Modeselektor & Aparat, but not had a proper listen as yet. 

Nice to find another BCer here into ambient electronica. I didn't mention Woob and his two must have albums 1194 and 4495. There are a few of us around here not many but that's ok.  Do you like the Bladerunner 2024 soundtrack too? It's excellent. Worked brilliantly in the cinema. I too like John Carpenter's soundtracks. Prefer him as a composer than film maker though.

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Nice to find another BCer here into ambient electronica. I didn't mention Woob and his two must have albums 1194 and 4495. There are a few of us around here not many but that's ok.  Do you like the Bladerunner 2024 soundtrack too? It's excellent. Worked brilliantly in the cinema. I too like John Carpenter's soundtracks. Prefer him as a composer than film maker though.

The 2049 soundtrack is excellent. They did a brilliant job of it.

I'll need to have a listen to Woob.  Really liking Solar Flares.  

On 05/01/2019 at 00:12, Yukimajo said:

I have just got in to the Swiss Garage band The Jackets:

The Jackets are great. The Terrortones were supposed to support them a few years back but their drummer got turned back at immigration because he didn't have a working visa for the gig.

• Like 2

Like others here I very rarely get the 'wow' moment when listening to music that's new to me these days, especially as I'm not involved at the sharp end any more. I guess the closest I've come in living memory would be Guthrie Govan's Erotic Cakes CD. Guthrie gets the limelight of course, but brother Seth is a mighty fine bass player IMHO.

In the dim & distant past I remember seeing Free play live at the Lees Cliffe Hall in Folkestone in 1970 and being mightily impressed even though they never played 'All Right Now' at any point in the set. In a similar vein I recall first hearing 'In the Court of the Crimson King' while at school and liking it quite a lot. Zappa's 'Hot Rats' would be a broadly similar vintage IIRC.

I don't doubt there's some great music out there that I still haven't discovered yet so who knows...?

Edited by leftybassman392

On 02/01/2019 at 09:48, AndyTravis said:

TTB are recent for me, I really like Nathaniel Rateliff & The Nightsweats. Might be worth a listen.

Love Nathaniel Rateliffe & The Night Sweats. 

Off to see then at the Barrowlands next week in Glasgow.  Cannae wait.  Think they are the only band me and my wife agree on. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2019 at 23:23, Old Man Riva said:

I stumbled across White Denim on 6Music a few years back and was blown away.

Not too keen on recent records but the albums D and Corsicana Lemonade were played to death.

Great band. Check out the album ‘last day of summer’ it’s their best imo. 

After Corsicana lemonade the drummer and guitarist left to work with soul artist Leon bridges, which would explain the drop in quality. They were both great musicians but the drummer was outstanding

On 19/01/2019 at 14:07, alexa3020 said:

Great band. Check out the album ‘last day of summer’ it’s their best imo. 

After Corsicana lemonade the drummer and guitarist left to work with soul artist Leon bridges, which would explain the drop in quality. They were both great musicians but the drummer was outstanding

Cheers for the recommendation! I’ll give Last Day of Summer a go.

Hadn’t realised the drummer and guitarist left - agree the drummer was especially good. There’s a version of At the Farm on YouTube featuring those two that is just so good - shades of Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac in the guitar playing.

On 04/01/2019 at 11:18, Max Normal said:

Rival sons. Have had two bass players and both are great.

I saw them as support for Black Sabbath 'The End' at the O2 Arena.  Fab band!

I liked this an awful lot when I first heard it, still do.  Seen them a couple of times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

Cheers for the recommendation! I’ll give Last Day of Summer a go.

Hadn’t realised the drummer and guitarist left - agree the drummer was especially good. There’s a version of At the Farm on YouTube featuring those two that is just so good - shades of Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac in the guitar playing.

Live at the ghost room - possibly my favourite 7 minutes of anything on YouTube