Why become a member? ×

Bands you just discovered that made you go “Wow!”

TrevorR

I’ve got to that age we’re I suspect that my brain is almost full up with music good and not so good. So it’s very rare these days that I come across new music in and genre that makes me go “Wow!” like so many bands did for my in my teens and twenties. However, just this last couple of months I’ve come across a few different bands that tickled my ear like in the good old days and made me sit up and get into them in a big way.

A chum leant me Greta Van Fleet’s album. Considering I find Led Zep very dull these days and simply don’t listen to them any more these guys really impressed me with their sheer energy! OK, they’re are more Zeppish than Zep ever were but still...

I do like a bit of souly Acid Jazz type music so this review CD from Richard Hawley’s cousin and the ex-Weller drummer really floated my boat... love the Bond theme vibe on this one...

More acid jazz... heard this band on the PA at a Pret A Manger and just had to Shazam them... I think that The New Mastersounds are my New Favourite Band!

And now for something completely different. Another review CD by Sinnober blew me away. All About Eve meets CSNY round at early Fairport Convention’s house... lovely swirly music.

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

I will certainly drop some video links in later, but off the top of my head the latest squeeze is a band called VOLA.

I also love everything that a chap called David Maxim Micic produces, especially the BILO EPs.

Not a new album, but I still smile every time I listen to Audioplastik’s “In The Head Of A Maniac”. I know the band very well which makes the album even better :)

I will also have to add the 2018 release from Ostura called “The Room”. Yeah that’s a blatant plug, I know.. but honestly I’m still amazed that it was possible to pull off this album. I’ll do a post about it later in this thread, but even if you don’t like the genre it’s still an incredible feat of production no denying!

• Like 2

The last band that did that for me was Booze & Glory. Was at the Rebellion Festival in 2015 and there was one period on Fri/Sat eve where I didn`t know any of the bands that were playing, so decided to check them all out, popping my head in each stage for a song or two. Well once I was in The Arena where B&G were on, that was it, I wasn`t going anywhere else. Fast forward a few years and we were lucky enough to do a few gigs with them, which was great, playing gigs with my now fave band.

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I haven't "discovered" anything new in years. Vulfpeck and Tedeschi Trucks were the last guys who I "found", but that was years ago.  

TTB are recent for me, I really like Nathaniel Rateliff & The Nightsweats. Might be worth a listen.

• Like 2

I'm always discovering something new. My drummer is mostly into technical death metal and grindcore, so lately I have been exploring these genres. Honestly I was a little  biased and I didn't think I could enjoy this stuff, but I had to change my mind. Many are really on the weird, dissonant, avantgarde side I like... Pyrrhon, Gorguts, Ulcerate, Baring Teeth, Nasum, Exit 13, Demilich are all pretty mindblowing! :)

2 hours ago, Dood said:

I will certainly drop some video links in later, but off the top of my head the latest squeeze is a band called VOLA.

I saw those guys at Damnation last year, they were one of the surprises of the day, really good.

• Thanks 1

Saw Turbonegro at Download last year - I swear I must have seen them before as they seem to have toured with bands that I like but I had absolutely no memory of them.  Blown away!  Straight on to eBay, Amazon Marketplace and Discogs to pick up their entire back catalogue for a few quid, and it's brilliant stuff.

The other one that I have had on constantly last year was Primitive Race, specifically their Soul Pretender album.  I picked it up after reading an obituary of Chuck Moseley at the start of the year which mentioned that he was on the album (but not actually in the band).  I was expecting him to be on a couple of tracks, but it turned out that he does all the vocals for the whole album, and they have used his contribution brilliantly, really using his vocal drone as a real strength

Guest bassman7755
3 hours ago, TrevorR said:

I’ve got to that age we’re I suspect that my brain is almost full up with music good and not so good. So it’s very rare these days that I come across new music in and genre that makes me go “Wow!” like so many bands did for my in my teens and twenties. However, just this last couple of months I’ve come across a few different bands that tickled my ear like in the good old days and made me sit up and get into them in a big way.

A chum leant me Greta Van Fleet’s album. Considering I find Led Zep very dull these days and simply don’t listen to them any more these guys really impressed me with their sheer energy! OK, they’re are more Zeppish than Zep ever were but still...

Wow nice find, also listed to this ... 

Took me back to when I first heard the Song Remains The Same at 15 YO.

Dont believe I have heard a band or artist for decades that have made me think "Wow". A few interesting and entertaining acts but nothing that makes me jump up instantly buy it. Christine and the Queens doing tilted on the Hootenanny would be the last performance that made me shiver, but that was the music and the dance moves combined.

Basschat has become the source for all my new musical finds.. the recent ones that stick out include:

- Electro Deluxe

- The Foals

- Jamiroqui, not a new discovery but they passed me by at their peak.  Stuart Zender's baselines on the early stuff is great.

Edited by PJ-Bassist