Why become a member? ×

What do you play at sound check?

oldslapper

3 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Got to be a strong possibility! Did you ever share a bill with a female-fronted group called Cherry White?

I did so many of those gigs, invariably to no-one, and I might have been enjoying some of Camden’s other offerings I can’t remember. However, I recall a band at the carnarvon castle circa 2003/4 doing something like that. 

30 minutes ago, scalpy said:

I did so many of those gigs, invariably to no-one, and I might have been enjoying some of Camden’s other offerings I can’t remember. However, I recall a band at the carnarvon castle circa 2003/4 doing something like that.

Ah, in that case there's another bassist who's been using the same party trick - CW didn't come into existence until nearer 2011!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scalpy said:

I think I might have been on the bill with you then! Can’t be many people soundchecking with that. I won’t have slapped by the way.

Not that I've ever played Camden, but I used to play that sometimes at soundchecks! Never know what it was called until I looked it up on YouTube just now...  

Does my frickin’ box in when a bassist slaps the living feckery out of their bass during soundcheck then doesn’t play even a passage of slap in their set. Amazes me how often this still happens. Completely pointless.

personally though, a few runs of whatever I feel at the time and playing as hard as I do during a set which, perish my right hand, is hard and right in the sweet spot of a Precision

• Like 1

It's been rather a long time since the last PA-supported gig I did but it's generally been plunk plunk a few times when soundman says "just play a note" and then make up something in the general region of where I play most stuff and played at the volume which I use for most of my playing.