Why become a member? ×

Recommend Me a Cable

WHUFC BASS

I've just had another cable go pear-shaped on me and I'm getting really fed up with it. I've had two Planet Waves circuit breaker cables go bad, a Fender cable that lasted a week, a Monster cable and numerous budget cables over the years. Is there one that had a cast iron reputation for not breaking ? I don't mind paying as long as it's not gonna crap out on me.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

I recently was given a Vovox cable and although sceptical at first (its about £100!) I noticed a clear difference using it. I think they have a lifetime warranty too. But yeah if you’re paying I expect OBBMs cables to be the best VFM

OBBM is the answer, given the brands you’ve tried and not found suitable. 

Should also add that it won’t break the bank at all, probably be better priced than what you’ve already had.

Edited by Lozz196

I have OBBM cables and also Design-a-cable. My only slight leaning towards design-a-cable is the wide variety of colours available. I always buy a range of strange colours so mine don’t get ‘lost’ or swept up in other people’s gig bags and flightcases.

I have been using the same speaker and guitar leads for the past 7 years, one of each from the two companies mentioned above. Top notch kit.

6 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

I've just had another cable go pear-shaped on me and I'm getting really fed up with it. I've had two Planet Waves circuit breaker cables go bad, a Fender cable that lasted a week, a Monster cable and numerous budget cables over the years. Is there one that had a cast iron reputation for not breaking ? I don't mind paying as long as it's not gonna crap out on me.

Stewart Ward, from Award-Session amps, makes really good cables under the name Cleartone. They're not particularly expensive either, but they use quality plugs and cable and workmanship is of course great. I still use regularly some cables he made for me back in 2001.

https://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html

Alternatively, OBMM from this forum makes very good cables too, and very nice he is too.

Design-a-cable are very good too, and offer a wide variety of colours, which may come handy. I think Cleartone also offer some kind of colour labelling too.

edit: I see you already went with OBMM, good choice, but these other choices here may be useful for someone else searching in the future.

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

Quality = reliability: plugs from Neutrik, high quality silicon cable, reasonably long amount of shrink tube in both ends, and a velcro to keep the cable in shape in the bass bag.

http://bassic-bits.co.uk/ seems to have a pretty similar concept. My cables are made by me, except one Monster. It is not so flexible but other than that, works well. My oldest cables are around 30 years old and still going strong.