Why become a member? ×

Best Female Bassists - Top 25

Cestrian

8 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

2. Last time I checked, people don't play bass with their genitals

When he was younger, Osiris junior would occasionally drop his britches and proceed to whack my bass with his winky (which for reasons that are not entirely clear he refers to as Steven Spielberg) so it's not an unprecedented technique. 

5 minutes ago, Osiris said:

When he was younger, Osiris junior would occasionally drop his britches and proceed to whack my bass with his winky (which for reasons that are not entirely clear he refers to as Steven Spielberg) so it's not an unprecedented technique. 

Aw cute.  He must have been practising his hammer-ons and pull-offs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Now that he's in his twenties, it's a slightly more rare spectacle, I trust..? :/

21 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Aw cute.  He must have been practising his hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Not quite, he's still (just) pre-teen, so no doubt these are the techniques he'll be focusing on in a year or 2 :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Now that he's in his twenties, it's a slightly more rare spectacle, I trust..? :/

Funnily enough, i wouldn't be surprised if it goes full circle by then :lol:

9 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

2. Last time I checked, people don't play bass with their genitals, 

8 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Men could, though 😅

I bet you there are quite a few young ladies on Patpong Road in Bangkok who'd give it a try too.

• Haha 1

Silvia’s second bullet point was never going  to  take us in a helpful direction.

Apropos of nothing and notwithstanding that gender is irrelevant, three (actually make that four) other bassists whose playing I have always enjoyed are:

• Sheryl Crow - simple but solid.
  • Claire Kenney - Cropped up on TotP so many times and she played a lovely Aria SB too back in the late 80s and early 90s which counted as extra brownie points for me
  • Carrie Melbourne - when she wasn’t playing for the gawd awful Babylon Zoo. Good stick player too. Took over from Lol Cottle in Mike  Oldfield’s band IIRC
  • Jo Wadeson - some great playing with Thea Gilmore and the Waterboys. Really tuneful and powerful playing both on record and live.

And to amply demonstrate how irrelevant gender is in a bass discussion, Jennifer Maidman. Great back in the day with T-Rex, Gerry Rafferty, Paul Brady and the Penguin Cafe Orchestra and now funking it up with the revamped Kokomo. 

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Speaking as a man (of sorts), I can say with confidence that I am far, far better than any, and I mean ANY woman, at urinating whilst standing up.

Ah, so you haven't met mrs bag, then

17 hours ago, Treeb said:

I'm not so sure.  Many years ago, a female friend who was sick of queuing for the ladies toilets at T in the Park, bought a pack of devices to enable her to pee standing up (they look a bit like a kazoo).  She said it took a wee bit of practice in the shower, but she mastered it.  She used the device at the gents peeing trough the following year ... it freaked a few of the guys out!

My wife has also used these when we've been travelling - she says they are much better than squatting in some of the dodgy toilets you find in some places ...

Can she do it while playing bass tho?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Treeb said:

She used the device at the gents peeing trough the following year ... it freaked a few of the guys out!

I'd have been rather annoyed as well as freaked. Why she thought going in the mens' was acceptable in this day and age  is a mystery.

Can you imagine the shyt storm women would have kicked up if a bloke had gone into the womens toilets ?  He would probably have been arrested at the very least

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2

I know plenty of women who have gone in the men's without the use of any device. Just got fed up of waiting.

I also know plenty of men who have gone in the ladies at a certain music club I frequent. It's usually full of old blues men and so the queue for the men's is actually longer than the ladies.

I live such a low, dirty life! Haha.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Carrie Melbourne - when she wasn’t playing for the gawd awful Babylon Zoo. Good stick player too. Took over from Lol Cottle in Mike  Oldfield’s band IIRC

And those are some very serious shoes to fill, whatever one keeps in one's trousers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/01/2019 at 11:09, Silvia Bluejay said:

Epic fail on at least two levels.

1. Define 'best' - best chops, best playing for the song, best songwriting...? Get promptly mired in controversy.

2. Last time I checked, people don't play bass with their genitals, therefore 'female bassist' is as relevant as 'gay bassist' or 'black bassist.'

I think this is somebody playing an instrument, nearly with their genitals...............!