Why become a member? ×

Best Female Bassists - Top 25

Cestrian

5 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

LOL, point taken. But I hope this thread won't continue to feature videos of 'cleavages' or 'legs' playing bass or guitar - you know, not for us to ogle, oh no, just to show what poor musicians the women in question are, but LOOK AT THEIR ASSETS, they'll get a lot of views, WON'T THEY? 😉

I do feel ashamed to be a man sometimes, the young lady in that clip clearly didn't want any attention other than for her musical performance. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JellyKnees said:

How about some videos of sad overweight middle aged men playing mediocre cover versions of awful 1980 tunes in a selection of grotty little venues in a variety of dire Brexit voting market towns? Something like that maybe?

I resent that - I am not even slight unhappy!

6 minutes ago, JellyKnees said:

In that case show me the video... you'd better be smiling!  😁

I said happy, not a Childs TV presenter (or in our case, the singer), I occasionally manage a look of quiet contentment, or sometimes even amusement - no-one wants a smiling bass player, it unnerves them.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I said happy, not a Childs TV presenter (or in our case, the singer), I occasionally manage a look of quiet contentment, or sometimes even amusement - no-one wants a smiling bass player, it unnerves them.

Probably not as much as this though...

este-haim.jpg.c623ece1d235ecefc12005a39bbca366.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich said:

How about videos of bass players who just happen to be really good?

I have always wondered why people don't feel compelled to point out continuously if a male musician/athlete/whatever is hot

3 hours ago, Rich said:

50. Revd. Kate out of Gogglebox
49. The Vicar of Dibley
48. errm...

Can I nominate my lovely chum, Mickey (Michaela)? She’s currently President Of the Methodist Conference, head of the Methodist Church. Does that count as one of the UK’s top female vicars?

Edited by TrevorR

Just now, Skinnyman said:

In my case, with very good reason

All jokes aside: I don't know how British media speak about such things, but in Italy when they speak about a successful female athlete/artist/etc journalists and the likes always make some stupid comment such as "bella e brava" (beautiful and good). Sooo condescending

Needless to say, they never make such silly comments about males

1 minute ago, oZZma said:

All jokes aside: I don't know how British media speak about such things, but in Italy when they speak about a successful female athlete/artist/etc journalists and the likes always make some stupid comment such as "bella e brava" (beautiful and good). Sooo condescending

I think what you're describing is pretty much universal, sadly

1 hour ago, oZZma said:

I have always wondered why people don't feel compelled to point out continuously if a male musician/athlete/whatever is hot

I think that depends on the sexuality of the commentators. Two hetero' women watching men's athletics or sport - do you really think they wouldn't be likely to comment "Oh, he's hott" or "he's good looking"?

Of course that is just as likely as two hetero' males watching female wrestling on TV.

Or two gay guys watching a men's rugby match.

And importantly - which ever way around,  admiring somebody who you may find attractive is not being "sexist"... at least not yet it isn't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oZZma said:

speak about a successful female athlete/artist/etc journalists and the likes always make some stupid comment such as "bella e brava" (beautiful and good). Sooo condescending

That's true.

When I was gigging, after the show, people never said 'wow - you're so hot' or 'what a fox'.

They might say 'meh, you were okay' or 'oh, have you been on yet?'

It saddened me :(

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I think that depends on the sexuality of the commentators. Two hetero' women watching men's athletics or sport - do you really think they wouldn't be likely to comment "Oh, he's hott" or "he's good looking"?

Of course that is just as likely as two hetero' males watching female wrestling on TV.

Or two gay guys watching a men's rugby match.

And importantly - which ever way around,  admiring somebody who you may find attractive is not being "sexist"... at least not yet it isn't.

Yeah but it's sexist in "supposedly" neutral-professional contexts (tv, etc), especially when it's blatant that such comments are always and only about women. 

4 minutes ago, oZZma said:

Yeah but it's sexist in "supposedly" neutral-professional contexts (tv, etc),

Can you quote professional guidelines to backup that supposition?

especially when it's blatant that such comments are always and only about women. 

That's a straw man argument as well. I don't watch much TV, but I bet you a fiver that (for example) a presenter of something like "dancing on ice" would compliment male skaters as well as females on their appearance.

Please don't make me youtube for evidence! 😁

• Like 3