Why become a member? ×

So, I’m thinking about a new head, Class D with a valve pre....

Wilco

I have had the GK MB Fusion 500 since 2014 or thereabouts. It replaced the GK 700RB and I have not regretted it at all. I use it with a TKS 212 and I love the sound it makes. 

Sorry...I cannot see your signature. I think I turned them all off when we changed to the new BC software. 

Hiho,I,ve been using the old Terror head for almost 6 years now.I wouldn,t change it for anything.It floats my boat perfectly and I have used the other Orange heads and most of the cabs.I normally use an OBC 115 as well as a SP212 and I,m a happy bunny,never short of headroom or volume and the sound is perfect for me.

Try them out and let your ears make the choice just cause it,s perfect for me doesn,t mean it,s perfect for everyone or we would all be playing  Rickenbackers through Orange stacks with a Thunderbird as a backup.

Some good & useful comments so far, so thanks for those. Particularly interesting was those about the ‘valve’ sound comes more from the power amp tubes rather than the pre amp ones, & that preamp valve tones can be easily replicated by solid state electronics. 

After a bit more research & consideration the current leader in my thoughts is the............

Genzler Magellan 800

So neither of the two I started with in my head & no valve pre!!

Fantastic reviews everywhere on that head. I like it’s drive section, the contour control & flexible eq with mid freq select. Apparently built to a very high standard too. Just the sort or size & weight I was looking for, with loads of power on tap.

That could be the one.... 🤔

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Magellan is a nice amp. Try an Aguiilar AG700, too. I bought one after I found I preferred it to the Magellan when I was looking at heads.

Too late - spotted a great price on the Magellan last night on Anderton’s website so went for it! Should turn up towards the end of next week. 

That Aguilar does look very nice too, but is £250 more.

Edited by Wilco