Why become a member? ×

Pino Pallidino Fender Precision

WHUFC BASS

It’s the law of diminishing returns, you see if for high end pieces in any market cars, watches,hifi etc.   You to pay an incrementally huge premium for not the same amount of increased performance and quality.   If you can afford it and it matters to you, great.   Personally I’d get a used US standard P, a Ray and a fretless Ray for that kinda money and I’d have all my Pino basses covered, so to speak.

54 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I wonder what the modest down to earth Pino thinks about the prices his Fender sig goes for.? 

He’s been commission selling his basses at NKR and the Gallery. Given the heavy ‘Pino owned’ tax I don’t think he’d give a monkeys :) 

edit- and that’s on top of the usual NKR tax! 

Edited by Chiliwailer

Why does any ‘luxury’ item cost a premium, because people naturally want something better/more expensive/rarer/fancier than the next person and will pay for that. There will also always be people in the world who don’t consider 4K a lot of money to put into their hobby/career.

In Fenders case there are a lot of building to keep running, staff to pay, artists to give free stuff to, marketing to pay for and as someone said the pound is weak which doesn’t help us. They also want to make a profit and so do distributors etc so it all adds up for the customer.

Its a dramatically different business to say someone like Overwater or Sei who are small operations selling direct to customer with much lower overheads.

It may well be snake oil and ridiculous to some people and that is fine, but to someone else it may be the greatest most expressive and inspirational instrument they ever play and they may go on to make great music because of it and not play another bass ever again.

I bet there are more that a few folks on here who have lost a few grand buying basses and other kit and selling it on at a loss because of GAS or hype.

I have played crap 3k basses and superb £300 basses and visa versa, just find an instrument you love and can’t live without, that inspires you and buy it if you are fortunate enough to be able to. Then go make some great music and enjoy and stop worrying about why some basses cost a lot of money 😉

Edited by NJE
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...