Why become a member? ×

Why do Pros use a P Bass...

TheGreek

Just now, stingrayPete1977 said:

Even Deacon knew the P couldn't cut the mustard for AOBTD :hi:

he was going for a specific, Bernard Edwards 'Chic' sound, so you've got to whip out a Stingray for that. Doesn't mean Precisions are poo.

You wouldn't have a toolbox with just spanners in it. I see different basses (and amps, and playing techniques) as different tools for different jobs. Good luck trying to get a JJ Burnel style middly P bass type grind with a plectrum, out of a Stingray. Ask me how i know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Lord said:

he was going for a specific, Bernard Edwards 'Chic' sound, so you've got to whip out a Stingray for that. Doesn't mean Precisions are poo.

You wouldn't have a toolbox with just spanners in it. I see different basses (and amps, and playing techniques) as different tools for different jobs. Good luck trying to get a JJ Burnel style middly P bass type grind with a plectrum, out of a Stingray. Ask me how i know.

How do you know? Lol

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

It is quite interesting that the Precison being ubiquitous coincides with music with either inaudible or ill defined bass - not sure if that's down to the players, the producers or the instrument - probably a bit of all of them!! 9_9:o:lol:

glad you put a smiley after that statement might have thought you were trolling :)

56 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

See most of the music I grew up listening to was punk, and Paul Simenon, JJ Burrell, Bruce Foxton to name a few really brought bass, especially the Precision to front of the mix. And as said, John Deacon with Queen also had the bass - again a Precision - very up there. Def not inaudible imo, but I suppose it depends on era of music. Those of us who went through the 70s and 80s got some pretty good up front in the mix bass, and more often than not ‘‘twas the humble P-bass.

Me too, never a big fan of Simonon's bass sound, perhaps because it was low in the mix till the remasters, but Bruce Foxton and JJ among my major influences, sound wise anyway, and I know Foxton used to use a Ric but I suspect that was more to do with the symmetry with Wellers Ric rather than the sound, he soon went onto Precisions, did he always record with them? 

Edited by PaulWarning

In all seriousness, a P has a low mid push that makes it sit well in almost any mix. Not very nice when played solo, but very useable in a band setting...... “easy” eq-ing. I think that is why they are often used. I quite like them, but always end up selling them when I buy them.

36 minutes ago, Bob Lord said:

Dannit, I've run out of daily "Likes" already! ☹️

31 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

In all seriousness, a P ... I quite like them, but always end up selling them when I buy them.

@Lozz196 has exactly the same experience with J basses.

Does that mean if you two were to occupy the same space at the same time it could lead to a distortion in the space-time continuum that could result in the complete annihilation of Bass-land?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

@Lozz196 has exactly the same experience with J basses.

Does that mean if you two were to occupy the same space at the same time it could lead to a distortion in the space-time continuum that could result in the complete annihilation of Bass-land?

We will always have stingray.

Personally I like to mix it up and have a variety of different basses but I will say a P-bass works in everything from reggae to blues to Iron Maiden. Showing up for a Hard Rock gig with a Hofner (okay one or two exceptions) or a Folk gig with a Thunderbird might raise an eyebrow or two. Ultimately you should be able to play anything on any bass but image has rightly or wrongly always been a part of modern music.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I know Foxton used to use a Ric but I suspect that was more to do with the symmetry with Wellers Ric rather than the sound, he soon went onto Precisions, did he always record with them? 

No Bruce used P Basses, Epi semis & still used the Rickys sometimes on the Albums. (Sometimes used flats & Black Nylon string too) sometimes over dubbing two of them. He may have used His Aria Pro 2 on the last Jam Album (have a listen)

Edited by Sonic_Groove
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

Just because a producer is narrow minded and would rather I use a P bass so they can go and smoke a joint doesn’t mean I’m going to pander to them!!

I expect that's why you're so in demand as a session player...

A P bass works. It may not be good for everything, but it does the job a lot of the time.