Why become a member? ×

Why do Pros use a P Bass...

TheGreek

I'm a software developer. If someone tells me this job needs to be done using Python, I am hardly likely to insist on doing it in C# am I? It's a job ain't it, if it pays your bills? That's what being a professional is - doing the job to specification. 

Now if was recording my own band, that's a different matter! (Although I am currently a P player through choice :D )

• Like 5

If I had the ambition and talent be a professional session bassist I’d be all over this course from SBL. Unfortunately I don’t, so I have time to join in with this discussion :) > 2 P-basses here, ALL other basses - you know where the door is!!

Edited by tedmanzie

I dunno mind, in the earlier days of youtube, I remember there was this awful redneck bloke, who'd done nothing but put up a few crappy videos of himself ranting about wanting a nice new car while driving about in some old car. Shortly after came his video of going to a dealership to collect his new car (a high spec Impreza or Evo), which he said was all paid for with his youtube money... that's what he said anyway.

At least Scott Divine does bass videos... Only downside is, he refers to himself in the third person, as 'Divine'. :facepalm:

17 hours ago, petebassist said:

F@ck it, when I turn up at the studio I'll have my custom bass & if they don't like it they know what they can do...

image.png.b74c2d625f86f555dd6b0d4850df85bc.png

I hope he's recording direct. Any mics are going to be picking up a hell of a lot of squeaks and creaks from those gig strides.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I have linked my central heating to Basschat and I'm converting all the negativity to energy which is heating my house.

We've been at 80 degrees for weeks. Keep it up.

Nooooooo! :o

The engines cannae take it @chris_b

You cannae mix matter and anti matter cold! :o

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mentalextra said:

Youtube has changed so many lives. Some youtubers have become millionaires for actually doing very little?

I'd wager that running a successful YouTube account - especially those that rake in the million$ - takes a lot more graft and far longer hours than it would appear.

• Like 1

I dare say, the more successful YouTubers are a subset of the public at large who have the necessary skills to present well, be creative enough to come up with in-demand content regularly, and have the tech skills to do the video editing (and especially for music subjects, record the sound decently too - not an easy task). AND they'd need to have a unique sustainable idea/direction in an almost saturated market. If they'd not done it in YouTube, they'd have probably been successful at something else etc.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

I dare say, the more successful YouTubers are a subset of the public at large who have the necessary skills to present well, be creative enough to come up with in-demand content regularly, and have the tech skills to do the video editing (and especially for music subjects, record the sound decently too - not an easy task). AND they'd need to have a unique sustainable idea/direction in an almost saturated market. If they'd not done it in YouTube, they'd have probably been successful at something else etc.

You are Scott Devine & I claim my year's free subscription to Scott's Bass Lessons! :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mentalextra said:

Youtube has changed so many lives. Some youtubers have become millionaires for actually doing very little?

I would say it is like a democratised public service thing. Where you get 'talent' on the BBC getting millions for doing very little just because you have your foot in the door, with youtube, you get paid per view, so if you get millions it is because a lot of people think you are worth listening to.

This is a lot fairer system then broadcast television has ever had.

You can go and get a camera, plug it into a computer, get a free youtube acount and start making your millions from doing very little today.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2018 at 17:52, drTStingray said:

That's sacrilege - I have a VW Golf and most definitely think the Precision bass is the world's most overrated and boring instrument - the Stingray has completely overshadowed it since the 70s IMHO of course!! 

The Precision is more of your basic Ford with rubber mats in place of carpets - reliable but highly boring and many other makes will run rings around it. For those old enough to remember - a Ford from 1957 would have vacuum operated windscreen wipers which stopped when you went uphill - they still sold millions of them!!! 

Why do so many pros use them - they certainly seem to be flavour of the month but I also know that Fender spend a great deal of time and effort (and money) placing their instruments with people.

They were probably the best you could get in the 60s but there again if you claimed a bass guitar was a real musical instrument in the 60s you would have been threatened with corporal punishment by serious musicians (upright players) xD

It is quite interesting that the Precison being ubiquitous coincides with music with either inaudible or ill defined bass - not sure if that's down to the players, the producers or the instrument - probably a bit of all of them!! 9_9:o:lol:

Otherwise they're great! 

mmmm 🤔 ,regardless of endorsement i think the P would be the best seller .Seems to be the other  makes trying to take Fender crown who through loads of gear out for free.I've only dabbled with a P due to buying a Jazz first and having it 20 plus years but it was the absolute killer noise and tone of Jean jacques Burnel that made me know what a Bass was.Around then you had Foxton and Maby playing them too with great tone .Some like simplicity so they can do the magic rather than expect a fancy bass to cover average skill

• Like 1

On 08/01/2019 at 20:35, The59Sound said:

Didn't realise that social media likes equals talent in your field. 

Its views and subscribers that he's judged(and paid ) on .Watched the odd one and he's clearly a great player and seems comfortable in front of a camera .He seems to put out what people watch too  so its hard to not consider him talented and successful

28 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

At social media self promotion but not necessarily bass playing! If a band sells millions of records, does it make them talented or marketable? 

Is this suggesting Scott's not a talented bass player? Because he clearly is. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

At social media self promotion but not necessarily bass playing! If a band sells millions of records, does it make them talented or marketable? 

I can't believe Scott's talent, on bass and otherwise, is put in question here... what next? Is the Sun warm? :D

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I can't believe Scott's talent, on bass and otherwise, is put in question here... what next? Is the Sun warm? :D

I remember a newspaper headline I used as a discussion topic with my students in Finland once - it read 'Global warming caused by sun, climate scientists claim'. So I suspect the sun probably is warm.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I remember a newspaper headline I used as a discussion topic with my students in Finland once - it read 'Global warming caused by sun, climate scientists claim'. So I suspect the sun probably is warm.

Nice! It must have been a fun session (or at least it has great potential to be!)

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Is this suggesting Scott's not a talented bass player? Because he clearly is. 

You answered a question I never asked. 

Does everyone genuinely believe that people with mass social media followings have actual talent? You'll be telling me those idiots who do ASMR are talented next. 

Edited by The59Sound
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Does everyone genuinely believe that people with mass social media followings have actual talent? You'll be telling me those idiots who do ASMR are talented next. 

No - some are better than others... whereas some don't even have the correct mics.