Why become a member? ×

Why do Pros use a P Bass...

TheGreek

Imagine: Washed up on a deserted beach with Robot Palmer's band from 1986 (frozen in time), and all their touring kit. So that includes the 5 hotties, drum kit, keyboard, a couple of Strats, white P bass with maple fretboard.

Plus there just happens to be a huge 6 bedroom deserted log cabin, with fresh water supply and sanitation, plenty of food / generator and fuel etc, for at least 100 years.

Happy? 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its certainly putting me in the mood for another P bass as i find the Fender P/J just doesn't do a proper P bass sound no matter what i do with the EQ, pan settings or Passive setting. Nothing sounds quite like a P bass and i'm a Jazz man myself so i don't know what's going on there.

Dave

A P bass, and by that I mean a split coil in the right position, any make/manufacturer will only sound like one.

The minute you rout anymore wood out, pop something else in there, it will lose some essence.

This is of course IMHO, but if we believe in resonance, altering that surely has to have some form of effect, even before we add in other sonic signals

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its certainly putting me in the mood for another P bass as i find the Fender P/J just doesn't do a proper P bass sound no matter what i do with the EQ, pan settings or Passive setting. Nothing sounds quite like a P bass and i'm a Jazz man myself so i don't know what's going on there.

Dave

The problem with a typical PJ is that the J pickup & potentiometer is in the circuit even when you turn it down entirely, and changes the way the "P"sounds. 

But one can rewire so that both pickups are isolated, and it'll sound more like a Precision... because it will be one. That's why I consider a P and a PJ distinct (somewhat similar, but distinct) and not because of the range of sounds that having two pickups give you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

A P bass, and by that I mean a split coil in the right position, any make/manufacturer will only sound like one.

The minute you rout anymore wood out, pop something else in there, it will lose some essence.

This is of course IMHO, but if we believe in resonance, altering that surely has to have some form of effect, even before we add in other sonic signals

Sure there will be a change... but if you take 1000 random Precisions, there will be enough variability there that cutting a bit of wood in one is not going to make it jump outside the "Precision population".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mcnach said:

The problem with a typical PJ is that the J pickup & potentiometer is in the circuit even when you turn it down entirely, and changes the way the "P"sounds. 

But one can rewire so that both pickups are isolated, and it'll sound more like a Precision... because it will be one. That's why I consider a P and a PJ distinct (somewhat similar, but distinct) and not because of the range of sounds that having two pickups give you.

Mines has the active circuit (Precision deluxe model MIM) so is seperating the pick ups an option with an active circuit so that i can get that P sound

Dave

43 minutes ago, mcnach said:

So put a switch on the j volume knob, then that takes it out. Or get an active circuit.

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

That’s exactly how mine is wired up so you can have full on P, J or both. Makes a big difference. Oh and it’s up for sale too 😉😆🤪

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Mines has the active circuit (Precision deluxe model MIM) so is seperating the pick ups an option with an active circuit so that i can get that P sound

Dave

Yes, of course. How to do it will depend on the circuit you have... If the pickups are blended first and the signal fed into the preamp, a switch could do that. Some preamps already allow each pickup to be used independently... I have no idea how the Fender one is designed.

Edited by mcnach
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, walshy said:

That’s exactly how mine is wired up so you can have full on P, J or both. Makes a big difference. Oh and it’s up for sale too 😉😆🤪

I have a passive Maruszczyk Jake, a P/JJ. The double J pickup can be split by pulling on the tone knob. The controls are VVT. With the P volume all the way open, and the JJ volume all the way off, splitting the JJ with the switch makes a very noticeable change to the sound, even if the JJ pickup is 'off'. I keep toying with the idea of installing a switch to isolate the bridge pickup entirely... it's a great bass, but I don't quite get the Precision sound I want out of it (it has other really good sounds ;) ) Maybe I should just go ahead and do it..

Trick question... a real pro would use anything to hand.

I suspect Scott was just looking to get a cash injection into his Youtube earnings knowing full well that this sort of convo would spawn. How many people have gone to Youtube to view his video from this convo alone?

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Trick question... a real pro would use anything to hand.

I suspect Scott was just looking to get a cash injection into his Youtube earnings knowing full well that this sort of convo would spawn. How many people have gone to Youtube to view his video from this convo alone?

Do I win a prize for not even bothering to watch the video? 

• Haha 1

Why are people getting their noses out of joint because there’s a video where someone at the top of their game in a particular field is telling you an observable fact about his job?

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Why are people getting their noses out of joint because there’s a video where someone at the top of their game in a particular field is telling you an observable fact about his job?

Si

Didn't realise that social media likes equals talent in your field.