Why become a member? ×

Why do Pros use a P Bass...

TheGreek

That was a great comparison video with great playing (I particularly like watching those who can use a pick well; I'm still learning after 40 years of finger style!) but I suspect the brightness of the 77 is more to do with the pickup and electronics with perhaps some ash body (probably the heaviest) influence than just the maple board. Just imagine the uproar if the video was trying to suggest heavy basses sounded brighter!

I've got a P, a J and a more 'modern' looking bass with twin humbuckers. I've got a lot of basses covered :D 

In the original video there's one point that stood out for me, and that was these preferences seem to be driven by the 'fashion' of the day. There does seem to have been a point where P style basses and to a slightly lesser degree J basses have become all the rage again. When I started playing in the late 80s modern looking basses were much more popular.

It's just the fickleness of fashion. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I've got a P, a J and a more 'modern' looking bass with twin humbuckers. I've got a lot of basses covered :D

Me too:

Yamaha BB434 - P/J;

Squier 70s Jazz - J;

PRS Kingfisher - Twin Humbuckers;

Westone 1A Thunder - P;

Aria Pro II - P/J;

Gretsch Junior Jet II - Mini Humbuckers;

Challenge VP Violin - Humbuckers.

My session playing career is back on track :D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Me too:

Yamaha BB434 - P/J;

Squier 70s Jazz - J;

PRS Kingfisher - Twin Humbuckers;

Westone 1A Thunder - P;

Aria Pro II - P/J;

Gretsch Junior Jet II - Mini Humbuckers;

Challenge VP Violin - Humbuckers.

My session playing career is back on track :D

yes you'v got there. ur on the:tatice_01:

Folks, in the nicest way possible - stay on topic!

I'm always amazed that if you watch Jools Holland and spot all the basses being played you will see that the mode (average) bass is indeed the P-bass in its various forms.  I did this the last three times I watched Jools and the P wins hands down.  These are quite often bassists you've never heard of but are working pros.  In my head I just accept it.  No need to get angry or cross with Scott Devine.  Though to the OP I would say that robustness, simplicity, tone, availability, modest weight and neck feel would be my reasons.

PS, the transit joke was brilliant.

Peace

Davo

• Like 2