Why become a member? ×

Why do Pros use a P Bass...

TheGreek

52 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I'm sorry if I've upset anyone - I wasn't intending to slag off any pro musicians in this and in my youth I was interested broadly in any recorded or performed bass parts - including those on Nana Mouskouri or even the Singing Nun records - still do I guess. However it was the Andy Fraser/Jack Bruce et al that inspired me to actually start playing in the first place - rock music - that was the point I was making. Interesting to hear session still exist - clearly nothing like the 60s or 70s (93 commercial studios in London down to less than 10 I believe - if that).

Now if you focus on dance and pop music you'll find some stonking bass parts around even now - I'm sure they're not all played on Precisions - even bass guitars though!! 

Well no offence here DrT, none at all - sorry if it read like that 🤘

Interestingly those session guys I quoted (East, Pino & Pratt - a solicitors near you) all most famous for not playing a P..  

Re new music - way too contentious for BC (!) but thought last night's TOTP special had some brilliant moments (and bass) within. 

8 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I haven't watched the video (I've often disagreed with some of what he says in the clips I have seen, and while he seems a lovely chap, any kind of 'Youtube positivity' doesn't jive with my own general grumpiness) but this whole thing is starting with the assumption that producers do insist on a Precision.

It's quite normal to work with whatever comes in, although heavily EQ'd actives aren't always appreciated, as they can very well tie the tech's hands when it comes to the mix. A P-bass is easy to work with for a mix engineer, but the times I can recall I've been asked to play a different bass I was using a passive Stingray, and was asked to try a Jazz (which may have sat better, but it wasn't as well set up as my Stingray, so I stuck) or was using a P and was asked to use a Stingray, which was definitely worse for the blues-rock we were recording (and once again, was worse set up).

The entire notion that there are any absolutes here is kind of a straw man in the first place.

Q. Why do pro's use a P?

A.  They don't, necessarily.

@Jus Lukin - interesting points brought up here.

I'm assuming that if you do pull out an active bass on a studio date, the engineer just wants all the eq on the bass flat?

I think there's a Janek Gwizdala video on YT that mentions a recording session he did, where he ended up using a Fender Musicmaster in preference to his Fodera or any other name bass he might have had on the session. Can't remember if it was someone else's recording date or if it was for one of his own projects, but I suppose it proves that a P bass isn't the only passive bass out there that can do a job.

I've met Scott a few times, and he is a good bloke. I respect the fact that he's a working class guy made good, and he's worked hard for it. I agree that some of his recent YT videos have "gone off topic" in places, but his heart is in the right place.

2 hours ago, rollie 55 said:

thats ok i kinda new at this. 

Then... welcome! And I wish you good luck controlling GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)... I spent more money in the first two years after joining BassChat than in the previous 20 together 😛

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I spent more money in the first two years after joining BassChat than in the previous 20 together 😛

We all did that! What everyone must remember is that you've all agreed in the T&Cs when you signed up that none of you can sue us! It's like the law or something. :sun_bespectacled:

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

We all did that! What everyone must remember is that you've all agreed in the T&Cs when you signed up that none of you can sue us! It's like the law or something. :sun_bespectacled:

well on my way with that mr banker get your chq book out 😎  😎 

6 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I'm at the worrying point of being happy enough with what I'm getting from my bass and other gear that I can rarely be bothered plugging pedals in, let alone looking around for anything else!

I wonder if it'll last?

Edited by Beer of the Bass

16 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I spent more money in the first two years after joining BassChat than in the previous 20 together 😛

:D

6 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

And I thought it was just me! This is good news... Safety in numbers! 😁

11 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

I'm at the worrying point of being happy enough with what I'm getting from my bass and other gear that I can rarely be bothered plugging pedals in, let alone looking around for anything else!

I wonder if it'll last?

Enjoy it while it lasts! In my experience it's short lived... although you seem to be one of the most sensible types around here, hopefully the blissful periodwill last longer with you.

;)

I love my Jazz but i bought the PJ bass to get that "P" sound. I've tried the neck pick up on its own with my Jazz and altho its a close tone to a P it doesn't carry the same depth of tone with everything else on the amp remaining exact same.

I'm a Jazz fan but a P bass definitely has a sound of its own. I think it simply sits better in a mix than a Jazz bass and it fills out the sound better. Jazz has more edge and clarity for my own personal taste tho.

I might develop GAS for a full on P bass in 2019 methinks but it will have to be a good one

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Most engineers that I know will favour a Precision style bass, simply because of the quick turnaround times between acts at festivals etc; it’s a sound that works and doesn’t require too much monkey business to get it to sound good in the mix.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I love my Jazz but i bought the PJ bass to get that "P" sound. I've tried the neck pick up on its own with my Jazz and altho its a close tone to a P it doesn't carry the same depth of tone with everything else on the amp remaining exact same.

I'm a Jazz fan but a P bass definitely has a sound of its own. I think it simply sits better in a mix than a Jazz bass and it fills out the sound better. Jazz has more edge and clarity for my own personal taste tho.

I might develop GAS for a full on P bass in 2019 methinks but it will have to be a good one

Dave

My sentiments exactly. My main instrument is an old Jazz and I bought a PJ to have the best of both worlds. Versatile, but it doesn't quite do the full-fat P bass sound, so I built a bitsa P (simple enough, with only around 35 bolts/screws to do up and some very basic soldering), put La Bella flats on it and bingo. When you need 'that' sound, nothing else will quite do it. 

Edited by Dan Dare
idiocy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

My sentiments exactly. My main instrument is an old Jazz and I bought a PJ to have the best of both worlds. However, it doesn't quite do the full-fat P bass sound, so I built a bitsa P (simple enough, with only around 35 bolts/screws to do up and very basic soldering), put La Bella flats on it and bingo. When you need 'that' sound, nothing else will quite do it. 

I'm finding the same thing with the Precision Deluxe i bought couple years ago. Its good and it does a lot of sounds but it still doesn't do that P bass thing even on passive mode with full P pick up its not quite as full.

What did you use in your Bitsa bass out of curiousity

Was thinking maybe a Squier and update the pick ups might be an option.

Dave

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm finding the same thing with the Precision Deluxe i bought couple years ago. Its good and it does a lot of sounds but it still doesn't do that P bass thing even on passive mode with full P pick up its not quite as full.

What did you use in your Bitsa bass out of curiousity

Was thinking maybe a Squier and update the pick ups might be an option.

Dave

I used a Squier body, no name neck (but decent - nice flamed maple with a good rosewood board. Had to file/smooth the fret ends and level a couple, but simple enough to do. Plenty on eBay), Grover tuners, Gotoh bridge (not high mass), Seymour Duncan regular P p/u (not the high output version and don't bother with the Antiquity, because the spec's are identical to the cheaper regular one), CTS pots, orange drop cap, Switchcraft socket, that 'vintage' cloth wound cable and silver solder (tried to make everything absolutely bog-standard P bass). It worked a treat and cost me les than £250. Oh, and I put a 'Dinky Toys' decal on the headstock (you can get them off eBay). None of that using a Fender one 😊

Edited by Dan Dare
speeling
  • Like 2

Pro bassists favour the Precision because it produces a pleasing sound and is visually appealing in almost every colour scheme*. The controls fall easily to hand and the instrument can be field-stripped and reassembled by an average player in under ten minutes. 

Most importantly: research has conclusively proved that bass players are 42% more likely to get laid if they appear onstage with a Precision than any other bass. This is because the Precision is a manly instrument which combines earthy sexual power with a sensitive vulnerability which appeals to women of all ages and social classes. Gig a Stingray or a Rick and the only date you'll be having is with Mother Thumb and her four daughters.

* Excludes Antigua and International Blue

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, Dan Dare said:

I used a Squier body, no name neck (but decent - nice flamed maple with a good rosewood board. Had to file/smooth the fret ends and level a couple, but simple enough to do. Plenty on eBay), Grover tuners, Gotoh bridge (not high mass), Seymour Duncan regular P p/u (not the high output version and don't bother with the Antiquity, because the spec's are identical to the cheaper regular one), CTS pots, orange drop cap, Soundcraft socket, that 'vintage' cloth wound cable and silver solder (tried to make everything absolutely bog-standard P bass). It worked a treat and cost me les than £250. Oh, and I put a 'Dinky Toys' decal on the headstock (you can get them off eBay). None of that using a Fender one 😊

Any chance you could send me a wee pic 

4 hours ago, Drax said:

Well no offence here DrT, none at all - sorry if it read like that 🤘

Interestingly those session guys I quoted (East, Pino & Pratt - a solicitors near you) all most famous for not playing a P..  

Re new music - way too contentious for BC (!) but thought last night's TOTP special had some brilliant moments (and bass) within. 

Pino? Are you sure?

Have you seen this?