Why become a member? ×

Farewell to HMV

Al Krow

57 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So maybe a happy ending? Canadian Sunrise Records about to pip Mike Ashley for the chain, although looking like the iconic Oxford Street store is going to close... 

Glad for those working there that it has been rescued, although as it has gone down the tubes twice in 5 years and been rescued, maybe it needs some sort of structural change. I must admit to not understanding how it can stay functional. 

On 01/01/2019 at 11:11, NancyJohnson said:

OK, here goes.

Quite a while back I was listening to LBC radio (Robert Elms) and caught the tail end of a discussion in which someone was talking about the north side of Oxford Street. 

The guy was saying that when the old Tyburn Road was being redeveloped into Oxford Street, there wasn't wholesale demolition of the old warren of streets on the north side as Tyburn Road was elevated, higher that the surrounding land.  As a consequence, there was little effort to raise the grade and in particular the location of one of the buildings HMV were using (I'm assuming the original site, but not 100% certain which one) had been built over the old street, literally by driving steel piles over it and that some of the houses and the original street still existed under the shop in the basement.

I found this yarn fascinating, it has to be said.  A while later I heard another radio phone in where someone was describing the houses and they were used for storing stock.

I've not been able to find anything online to verify this; old maps seem to support there were streets and hearing the same thing twice from different sources gives the story a little credence.

Yes this happened a lot in London - partners dad was a LEB meter reader and went to a lot of these places 

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-buried-remains-of-little-compton-street-london-england

Booky

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0349115656/203-3586823-7462350

Edited by Geek99

We have something similar in Brixham (Devon) - the 'new' street was built up over the old harbour area - I've been in the basement of one shop that is on top of the ground floor of an old Harbour property - complete with window/door frame - the shop next door has a deep flagstone 'cellar' & the building is supported by an old ships mast.

😎

16 hours ago, Normski said:

And I get to keep my DAY JOB!!!!!

woot!!!

As an insider, any idea what's going on with the online store?  Seems to have been removed from HMV's website, or rather, the links are all there, but they all bring me back to the landing page rather than taking me to the store and my account

1 hour ago, KevB said:

Anyone know what's happening with FOPP or are they now independent of HMV anyway?

from what I can work out from yesterday's announcement on store closures, they will carry on as part of HMV, unless they have been put on the naughty list.  There were a few on the closure list, but not the one just off Charing Cross Road, so they seem to have closed the main HMV in the West End but left the Fopp

• Like 1