Why become a member? ×

Who got plopped on for crimbo?

steve-bbb

We kind of had the opposite to the OP.

We’re doing a Blues Brothers gig where half of the band have never met the other half. Due to availability restrictions there’s no rehearsal beforehand. In itself not a problem as long as everyone is familiar with the material and has their ears on.

However, the drummer, who none of us has met but came recommended, went awol mid-November. No reaction to emails, texts, Facebook etc.  By the time it became apparent that he wasn’t going to reply it was early December. Try finding a decent (no rehearsals) sight unseen drummer for NYE starting early December...

30 phone calls later they found someone. We’ll find out tomorrow what he’s like.🤞 

5 hours ago, police squad said:

Im looking forward to my NYE gig. I live in a wonderful town (Deal, Kent) and we have epic fireworks on the pier at midnight. My gig is 2 minutes away and we break for the festivities, watch the fire works and then do another half hour of 80s stuff.

It's a duo and I play guitar and sing. It's in my local and we are both from the town. I wouldn't have bothered if it was anywhere else.

We're getting 160 quid each. There's virtually no travelling and the pub always buys us a few beers. What's not to like

I gigged there briefly last year, during a quick tour(ette) of Kent.  Very nice place, had a lovely walk about during the day and the local promoter was joy to work for.  Hope your gig goes well!

I have a gig tonight... 

We're doing a ska/reggae version of a Star Wars medley, and also Auld Lang Syne (since we play through midnight) starting slow as usual and then speeding it up ska style...

I was away for the past 2 weeks, just landed last night... I suppose right about now I should be making sure I know the structures of the songs and what to play,instead of being in BC... :D I have some rough notes.... I will be ok... will I? 😛

I depped for a band for a couple of gigs the weekend before Christmas and ticket sales were way down on what was expected - the popular theory was that punters were taking advantage of the short gap until Christmas to set off early if they were going away so it wasn't the best weekend to be playing.  Two venues that the band had sold out last year so I think there's probably something in that - each night was about 100 short of capacity, so OK to play, just not rammed.

The band was getting a fee so it didn't affect our payment (only our egos) but the first of the two venues did contact us and ask if we'd compromise on the rider as they were clearly not getting the ticket money they had anticipated.  Happy to do so, not least because they said they'd give us the promised booze but not the food (and even then they relented and gave us a Buy Out that covered a load of pizzas that we were going to pay for ourselves)

Not especially the Christmas season, but this year is the worst I can remember for short notice cancellations and "misunderstandings" about money. 

Not sure if I'm looking forward to my NYE gig, it's in central London and getting in and out is going to be a nightmare.

21 hours ago, tauzero said:

None of my bands have a NYE gig but Mrs Zero has, so I'll be going to see her. She was originally booked somewhere else but they cried off early in November, and she got this gig as a replacement.

I hadn't quite got this right. She was originally booked at the venue for £800 for the two of them, then the venue cancelled, then it offered to have them for £550. They decided to accept. The venue is the Crown Members Club in Castle Bromwich, just in case anyone should be offered bookings from them.

I literally got plopped on. The in laws have an old cat who can be quite affectionate. He was curled up iny lap and when he get up to leave he left behind a nugget. 

On the music front we played 15th December and got asked if we were available for NYE. Guitarist is away so didn't get to discuss further sadly. Can't believe the venue was leaving it so late, they must have been plopped on.

• Haha 1

NYE gig went well with my originals band Sea Bass Kid... no plopping. People didn't leave to watch the fireworks, staying with us for the countdown and shooting confetti cannons from stage (they're loud too!) and it turns out you can turn Auld Lang Syne into a ska tune very effectively :D

I don't know if anybody filmed that one, but I got this (I think youtube compressed the stinky poo out of it... but you get the idea):

45 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

we've just had a gig pulled for 11th January, because the pub company don't think we'll get enough people there based on the number of people who say they're attending on Facebook, that's a first

We have never had a correlation between the number of people who say they are attending on facebook and the number of people who attend.