Why become a member? ×

Who got plopped on for crimbo?

steve-bbb

Seriously though... have lost count of local bands/musos i know and others i see recently posting on local facebook gig groups, who have had gigs pulled by venues doing the dirty and booking someone cheaper(?) with little or no notice to the original booked band

sometimes there is genuine crossed wires between bands and venues but it really does seem like the festive season is giving some event/venue managers carte blanche to act like complete aholes!

We're all MU members, so fortunately we've not had anything pulled that we really care about, (i.e. important gigs, functions etc) mainly because we have a signed contract in place.

I feel for those that have been plopped on; I appreciate that the MU subs might seem expensive at first look, but it only needs to save one gig to pay for itself I suppose. 

Oh and I see no problem with calling out venues/managers/promoters for acting badly. In fact, the MU like to hear about them and their misdemeanours! 

• Like 3

The originals scene usually quietens down a bit over Xmas, making way for parties/functions etc so we`re not gigging until 09 Jan. This sort of thing does irk me though - sure venues are businesses etc, but how would they feel if bands just didn`t turn up cos another pace was paying them more. 

• Thanks 1

Christmas is always a dodgy time for gigs - we had one venue in early December ask us to play quietly in the corner and change our set with a weeks notice to "top 40 party songs as we have a couple of works Xmas dinners in". We're a rock band and they know damn well we are......It was just an unsubtle way to get us to drop the gig so they didn't have to pay a band while they were making money from food.
And then a week later we played to a pub full of whizzed dickheads with no help from the landlord when they started invading the stage, throwing beer around and generally falling over everyone and everything. The landlord just laughed and kept serving them till we stopped playing at 11.30pm and refused to start until he had the situation under control.

I might take next December off........

• Confused 1

We lost our NYE gig, but it was a few months ago, not found anything to replace it with unfortunately, so it's the first New Years in about 7 years without a gig, looks like I'll be watching The Last Leg and Madness.

I wasn't upset with the venue, it was the same social club that we did last year, apparently their haemourraghing money and a band was just too great an expense. Given what the attendance was like there last NYE, I can't say I'm shocked.

I haven't played NYE in years through choice. It's always, without fail a nightmare. People who don't normally drink get sh!tfaced and act like d!cks, couples who don't go out very often go out and argue with each other, people who do go out all the time get territorial and act like d!cks to ones who don't go out all the time, the night never lives up to anyones expectations and it all ends up a very sad, depressing place to be. 

And I'm stood, sober on a stage watching it all unfold. No thanks. 

Merry New Year 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

we got stuffed a couple of years ago, booked in Feb for NYE, cancelled in Sept because the Landlady wanted a band she liked on, it never happened and they finished up with a very average rock covers band on in the end.

We've had a couple of gigs cancelled this year but we tend to roll with it, no point in falling out with the venue if they're still booking you, we just put £50 on the price :)

We've been playing the same venue for their Christmas party nights for the last 3 years so they know us and trust us - enough to pay us in advance for all of the gigs including hogmanay.

I have also noticed in the last couple of days on local Facebook pages that there are a lot of people having gigs cancelled for NYE which is extremely shabby.

I honestly wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't playing as I don't drink alcohol. 

1 hour ago, Delberthot said:

We've been playing the same venue for their Christmas party nights for the last 3 years so they know us and trust us - enough to pay us in advance for all of the gigs including hogmanay.

I have also noticed in the last couple of days on local Facebook pages that there are a lot of people having gigs cancelled for NYE which is extremely shabby.

I honestly wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't playing as I don't drink alcohol. 

There's lots you can do whilst not drinking... or is drinking a goal in itself for most?

1 minute ago, mcnach said:

There's lots you can do whilst not drinking... or is drinking a goal in itself for most?

I don't want to derail the thread too much but unfortunately in our society it breaks down as:

had a bad day? - have a drink

had a good day? - have a drink

does the day end in a "Y"? - then have a drink

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I don't want to derail the thread too much but unfortunately in our society it breaks down as:

You'd be surprised how many don't feel that way. You just need to give it a try, and you realise that you are not becoming the 'weirdo' you might have thought you'd become for going out and not drinking... and that you're not alone.

But you're right...let's not derail too much.

I hope you have a great NYE's gig! 

I hope mine goes well too... we're scheduled to play through the bells, which is ok, we'll insert our little welcome to the new year into our set at the right time... but I fear the place will empty significantly to watch the fireworks outside, 200m down the road... and that many might get distracted and never come back :/ We will see!

• Like 1

Had a great Christmas eve gig - was an afternoon gig for £300, but got given £400 in the end as it went so well. New years we are at the same place in the afternoon, that bit will go well but the evening is a place that we havent' really ever had much luck with, I hope it goes ok!

But no, the only cancellation was one from just before christmas because the pub closed down so it is hard to be that annoyed about that, compared to the people who worked there losing their jobs.

But as said up there, if I wan't gigging on new years there is no way I would be outside on new years, its full of drunk idiots and that isn't anything like my idea of fun.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I hope mine goes well too... we're scheduled to play through the bells, which is ok, we'll insert our little welcome to the new year into our set at the right time... but I fear the place will empty significantly to watch the fireworks outside, 200m down the road... and that many might get distracted and never come back :/ We will see!

In the past couple of years we've played at a different venue and the fireworks at 12am usually meant the end of the night, even though we were booked until 1am as no one comes back in, instead heading for the bar or bedroom

3 hours ago, Delberthot said:

In the past couple of years we've played at a different venue and the fireworks at 12am usually meant the end of the night, even though we were booked until 1am as no one comes back in, instead heading for the bar or bedroom

The place is open until 5am, people will come back (Bombskare is playing after us, they're the main attraction)... but they might not be back until they're due, is my fear... Like you say, if people break for the fireworks they tend to continue being distracted. In our venue, the bar is physically in the same place (elevated stage placed centrally, dancing space in front, two bars one on each side - and then the top floor), so I hope some will come soonish, since they paid etc. But I would not be surprised if they do not come back until 1am when Bombskare is due. 

We save the best for the end, maybe we shouldn't this time! :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ahpook said:

..and they really came from Mars.

Its true. I remember when I was about 6 or 7 I got a bar of top quality Belgian chocolate for Xmas from an Aunt. I thought "What is this sh*t, could they not find a bar of Dairy Milk." The stupidity of youth.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2018 at 18:15, Delberthot said:

Smoke crack instead. Go on have a bit of crack. Just a little bit. Your face won't fall off, honest. 

Im looking forward to my NYE gig. I live in a wonderful town (Deal, Kent) and we have epic fireworks on the pier at midnight. My gig is 2 minutes away and we break for the festivities, watch the fire works and then do another half hour of 80s stuff.

It's a duo and I play guitar and sing. It's in my local and we are both from the town. I wouldn't have bothered if it was anywhere else.

We're getting 160 quid each. There's virtually no travelling and the pub always buys us a few beers. What's not to like

• Like 3