Why become a member? ×

Rickenbackers - Overrated?

Ricky 4000

No, not really... differently rated, yes.

It's like, there are bass players, and then there are Rickenbacker bass players.

People think Rickenbacker players are the sort of folks who drive a Subaru Impreza (stereotype - yawn)... well that is simply not true... if it were a Japanese import Impreza, running at least 400/400, then yes, you're probably right. But please don't go judging every Subaru owner to be a Rickenbacker player.

It could be a farmer FFS, and everybody knows a farmer would play a Fender.

Thank you for your time.  😁

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I own a Musicman and a Rickenbacker so everything is overrated 😀

My last car was a 280bhp VW Scirocco R but my current car is a Skoda Rapid 1 litre - I like to keep everyone guessing 😉

I sold my Impreza to buy a microphone.

That's not strictly true, I sold it because I was given a van - but it is similar. 👍

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

It's like, there are bass players, and then there are Rickenbacker bass players.

Are there? If I look at people I know from playing Rics, with the exception of Chris Squire, who mostly played the same ric and wasn't that complimentary about the others, and Lemmy, who just had the one sound, most of them also played other basses as well. 

5 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

Joliet Jake was John Belushi's character who was released from Joliet correctional facility at the start of the movie

My God you're right... of course, it must have been Elwood who sold the Caddy... I had that so wrong - incidentally, like I do with most chord changes. O.o

Edited by Ricky 4000

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Are there? If I look at people I know from playing Rics, with the exception of Chris Squire, who mostly played the same ric and wasn't that complimentary about the others, and Lemmy, who just had the one sound, most of them also played other basses as well. 

Yeah, but it's all about the look... Rickenbackers LOOK great. That is all you need. 👍

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Most of the other players started off on Ricks and moved to other basses. Off the top of my head John Entwistle, John Deacon, Roger Waters, Pete Quaife & Geddy Lee. I think it was either Waters or Quaife who said that the neck ended up like a banana when he changed strings so that was the reason to change

5 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Yeah, but it's all about the look... Rickenbackers LOOK great. That is all you need. 👍

You're right but for me it required a change of playing position, strap height etc to be able to enjoy it to the fullest whereas the Sterling is just a plug and play bass or at least was as after a couple of months of playing the Rick, the Sterling feels odd to play now

Edited by Delberthot

10 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Agreed. But I only really play 5 strings, and even if I did play a 4, they have gone into a price bracket that is way out of what I could justify for a bass like that. 

If those weren't true, I would have one. 

Just now, Delberthot said:

You're right but for me it required a change of playing position, strap height etc to be able to enjoy it to the fullest whereas the Sterling is just a plug and play bass and after the couple of months I've had it, the Sterling feels odd to play now

I'm sure you realise that I started this as a daft / light-hearted counterpoint to the Stingray - Underrated thread.

But seriously for a moment, I'm glad you like your Ric. One of these days I must try out a new / modern version.

Many years ago, mine rescued me from constantly chopping and changing basses in search of the 'right' sound. Although the decision to buy it had nothing to do with sound. I'd always wanted one. Visually. Since I was a kid.

When I saw this one up for sale in a rough n' ready music shop, I was in my 20s, and it was the only affordable (to me) Ric' I'd ever come across, because it was already old (at the time, 70s unfashionably old, not 60s desirably old), rather battered, and with non-original Grover tuners.

I didn't know I'd keep it, but the cure for "always another cheap bass syndrome" just happened to me right there and then.

Over the next nearly 30 years, I never really thought about changing it, and until coming on here, I never really thought or worried about the "faults" (tricky to adjust bridge, low string break angle, neck dive, chunky neck, painted neck!). I just always tried to play it like I wanted it to sound. And trust me, if you're new to the studio side of things, most of the sound you want (or don't want) comes from how you play, not what brand of guitar you have.

Anyway, it must sound OK, because over the years it's been borrowed for recordings and performances (apparently the E string sounds particularly good!), and a couple of times it's been recorded on the very Neve console that Queen recorded Rhapsody on in the 70's (one of those times with me playing it!).

Well now it's old, and probably needs a complete overhaul (like me!), but my relationship with it has been great. Although it's not comfortable to play sitting down (for the right hand or forearm). But there's no other bass I'd rather look at... except maybe one with two pups, four knobs and a chequerboard binding. That would be cool. 👍

Image006.jpg

• Like 1

I think they’re overpriced and the bridge pickup surround on my 4003s is deadly sharp when you take the cover off. The bridge isn’t very well designed either - hard to adjust 

on the plus side, it plays great (other than having to be careful not to bash your hands on the sharp bits), sounds great acoustically and even better when plugged in. I love the looks and if you want THAT SOUND, then nothing else will do

I think they shine most when played with a plectrum. I wouldn’t take it to something that needed fingerstyle

overrated? Some people really want that sound, and they really deliver it. Not my idea of overrated, though they’re not for everyone

• Like 1

I believed for thirty years all of the rubbish that a Rickenbacker is the worse designed Bass ever built. I finally took the plunge this year and purchased a 2018 4003. There have been improvements to the 4003 with the most important for me being the updated twin truss rod design.I now ignore my Fenders and EB's, as it is the Ric that I only want to play.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I'm sure you realise that I started this as a daft / light-hearted counterpoint to the Stingray - Underrated thread.

Absolutely but what I meant was that as soon as I adjusted my playing position to suit the Rickenbacker, it felt the most comfortable of the two basses.

I play mine finger style with Fender flats and it still has that amazing sound. Not in the least bit thuddy 

• Like 2

I really don't get Ricky's or the appeal apart from a lot of early iconic bands played them.. They dont sound great(subjective). They look bad (but iconic, just my opinion) They dont feel great to play, really uncomfortable. And they are expensive. .. And the guy that owns the company is a bit of a penis.. I would still like to play one again mind, just to see how I get on with them 10 years down the line.. 

Edited by bubinga5

Not overrated, but definitely overpriced. New ones (in fact, all of them post '84, I think) come with all the John Hall baggage and for that reason I don't think I'll ever own one.

Big fan of the 70s MIJ copies - many of them, through use of modern finishes, components and adhesives improve upon their genuine 70s contemporaries and eliminate many of the flaws of older Ricks, for a fraction of the price. And quadruple the cool, IMO. B|

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

I really don't get Ricky's or the appeal apart from a lot of early iconic bands played them.. They dont sound great(subjective). They look bad (but iconic, just my opinion) They dont feel great to play, really uncomfortable. And they are expensive. .. And the guy that owns the company is a bit of a penis.. I would still like to play one again mind, just to see how I get on with them 10 years down the line.. 

If you don't like how they look, or sound - and they haven't changed the uncomfortable ergonomics - then I think I can save you 2 grand by saying with some certainty, that you still won't like it. 😁

Sorry about this, Mr Hall. 😌

I've only played one a couple of times and have to say, for me, it blew away the competition on that particularly day (which was Lakland) in terms of tone and looks.

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Can't wait to play mine tonight! It looks great, sounds great, and plays well.

+1 ^^

I guess they are going to be the ultimate marmite bass and whilst I can't stand marmite, I've always thought that Rickenbackers just looked the part!

And if it was good enough for him...

image.jpeg.e4af73a8bcc0a6062885c24c40e4411c.jpeg

..and him

Image result for who played rickenbacker bass

and even him...

Image result for who played rickenbacker bass

Then it's certainly not too good for me!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2