Why become a member? ×

Bands that can't find bassists

charic

Weeeelll... all I can say is when I first joined the Norfolk Blues Society jam scene five years ago I was sometimes the only 'floor bassist' all night. Now almost as many bassists turn up as guitarists - also true of the new local funk jam.  And they're all mostly better than me,  which BURNS.  You know?

I blame Scott Devine.

In the West mids area and in the rock genre the last 5 years or so iv'e found decent bassists are in short supply.... Guitarists are everywhere, keyboard players are rare as hens teeth and vocalists that can actually 'sing' are very thin on the ground. There are lot's of kids doing the - whatever that noise they make in the back of their throats is called...If you can filter out the wanna be's with little or no talent or desire to actually 'learn'. It's really not easy around here to find bassists or other musicians that are solid, relatively grounded and a good 'cultural fit'.......

Oh yeah, nearly forgot drummers....They're everywhere, try finding one that can keep time though!

Edited by John T

13 hours ago, charic said:

And now... apparently I'm blocked on facebook for commenting that his remarks are unlikely to attract bassists!

So, before you had an idea, but now you have confirmation of why they can't keep a bass player. They sound like a charming precious lot :D