Why become a member? ×

What are you learning / working on right now?

Crawford13

Here's my list for the next Open Mic in early February:

Instrumental - Ghost riders in the Sky - Duane Eddy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMz8XRGxZdY
The Way it is - Nicole Atkins - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_NVsPM87eI
Me and Bobby McGee - Pink - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwmUMvhy-lY
Fall At Your Feet - Boy And Bear - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-1vQ7sf7VE
Chaos and Clothes - Jason Isbell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkCI19vfVIc
Johnny Got A Boom Boom - Imelda may - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhogVvwbwkw
Touch Feel Lose - Ryan Adams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CRs-4CEcZg
Always Remember us This Way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vheNbQlsyU

Most are a key change apart from Mr Eddy
Edited by yorks5stringer

22 hours ago, HengistPod said:

Smoke On The Water, which I've never actually learned properly.

Turns out Roger Glover's bassline is a whole bag of fun to play, although it took me a wee while to figure out what he's doing with those pentatonics behind the solo.

In the end, Songsterr was a great help! :)

Always one of my favs to play if the band is really into it. Think i had the bass tab for that somewhere and agree the bass behind the solo is nice to play.

Dave

• 2 months later...

I am revisiting a couple of instrumentals by The Shadows with the wonderful Alan Jones back in his prime...."Going Home" and Summer Love '59".

I need to keep reminding myself about the importance of being "in tune" with the music that is being played. No matter what Alan Jones plays, he does it with such great musicality, tone, feel, authority and timing. Every note is placed perfectly. I always get the impression that if Hank Marvin played bass to these two tunes, he would play the same thing Alan plays.

I live in Canada and discovered Alan Jones' playing on YouTube about 10 years ago when I watched a live show with Cliff Richard in Birmingham back in 1984. I remember thinking ..." now THAT is the way I want to hear the bass played!" Still feel the same way even though the only Shadows music I play is for my own enjoyment. I am retired and play mostly country and acoustic music in a couple of bands.

51 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I had a go at Black Dog earlier. Tricky one. That John Paul Jones is a bit good.

The interesting bit is where the guitar riff and bass go out of time with the drums, seen a lot of bands cover the song and put that bit back in time, a lot harder to play it out of time as per recording.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, steantval said:

The interesting bit is where the guitar riff and bass go out of time with the drums, seen a lot of bands cover the song and put that bit back in time, a lot harder to play it out of time as per recording.

I imagine it must be tricky for a band to play. I read somewhere that they deliberately made the time changes awkward so that other bands would find it hard to cover.

• Like 1

Loads of new original material for a new band. Really happy with my ability to learn new parts (been making up my own for last few years), and surprised myself at getting my fingers around some fairly compley bits where bass plays unison with guitar. Looking forward to first rehearsal on Tuesday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Damn Blue Collar Tweekers by Primus.

Not easy because it isn't very clear on my little computer speakers, but I think I've got the main riff now.

Put this on hold, I now have twelve songs to learn of which I more or less know  seven!

Fiorst to go - Blackberry Way and it's an AWESOME line by Trevor Burton.

Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith, starting diff on bass is really tricky, lots of left and right hand technique.

Its one you cannot pink torpedo up on a live gig because the bass plays the intro almost alone for quite a bit of time.

Edited by steantval

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:56, HengistPod said:

Smoke On The Water, which I've never actually learned properly.

Turns out Roger Glover's bassline is a whole bag of fun to play, although it took me a wee while to figure out what he's doing with those pentatonics behind the solo.

In the end, Songsterr was a great help! :)

SOTW was one of those songs on the "banned" list in my local music shop years ago, along with Stairway to heaven and Smell's Like Teen Spirit. :D

Alice Merton, No Roots. Chosen by our drummer - the deeply demoralising thing is that at the moment he can play the bassline and drums at the same time better than I can play just the bassline. It crucially depends on that off-beat, I just need to stay stuck into it and sooner or later I'll get it. Needs to be sooner rather than later as we're gigging it next week... 

• Like 2

I've started working on a very large personal set list - 140 songs across several genres. The plan is to get them to a stage where I can record some showreels and stick them on YouTube before chasing round trying to find another band. I've had another couple of tedious experiences with JMB numpties, including one who thought that Dakota would be too 'challenging' for me before disappearing into radio silence.

Anyway, after I'd got over my sulk, I did a bit of soul-searching and decided to build up a decent repertoire of songs I like. I'm doing them in groups of twenty, with a mix of easy and hard songs in each one. Some of them have to be done by ear.

If something turns up in the meantime, all well and good. But for now I'm concentrating on things I want to do, rather than scrabble about looking for yet another wannabe covers band.

Aye, I am still a wee bit peeved. But I'll get ower it! 

54 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

We are going to have a go at Blondie's One Way or Another. It's the first time we have looked at one of there songs.

We do that one.  Lots of root and 5th in it.  Personally I think it gets a bit boring.

I made myself an iPod playlist of songs I either want to learn or enjoy playing.  Currently trying to learn Wake Me Up Before You Go Go but it's probably a bit advanced for me.  I need to try and dedicate some time to it.

31 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I have an accurate TAB of WMUBYGG if you need it. When you see it laid out in front of you it looks a lot less daunting I promise. I’m sure you’ll crack it 👍.

Thanks for the encouraging words!  I'm up to the end of the second chorus but haven't really practised it for about a week.  In between getting home from work and the kids being asleep I have a small window for making noise and my time in that window is generally taken up with more pressing matters!

I've been using this Songsterr link.  To my ears it seems pretty good so far.  My transcribing skills are pretty hopeless, which is another thing I'm hoping to work on with that playlist I've made.

18 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Songster drives me round the twist. I can't even bring myself to look at it. PM your e-mail address and I'll send it over.

Haha!  I know what you mean.  It's a fantastic resource but can be a bit frustrating to use.

Cheers mate, I've sent you a PM.