Why become a member? ×

What are you learning / working on right now?

Crawford13

On 27/12/2018 at 09:55, Maude said:

I really have struck gold with the band I'm currently in. It's Mod/Northern Soul/Ska so plenty of The Who, The Jam, Specials, Toots, etc and most Northern Soul has great basslines. The band actually want to the bass to be upfront in the mix as well. In 'The Real Me' I was told "more overdrive and louder". 

Happy Days. 

Used to do Substitute with old band, a real lead part right there, trying to persuade  current band to do it..seeing as I've learnt it!  Also mini bass solo in there too...and I hate soloing!!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Used to do Substitute with old band, a real lead part right there, trying to persuade  current band to do it..seeing as I've learnt it!  Also mini bass solo in there too...and I hate soloing!!

It's a great song to play on bass isn't it. 

There's so many bass-centric songs in our set, it's great, Pinball Wizard, The Real Me, Down in the Tubestation, Town Called Malice, Keep on Running, the list goes on. We've got a reasonable following and they all know what the bass does, it's quite uplifting compared to the average pub goer who has no idea. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Maude said:

It's a great song to play on bass isn't it. 

There's so many bass-centric songs in our set, it's great, Pinball Wizard, The Real Me, Down in the Tubestation, Town Called Malice, Keep on Running, the list goes on. We've got a reasonable following and they all know what the bass does, it's quite uplifting compared to the average pub goer who has no idea. 

Used to do Pinball Wizard too, until the guitarist complained it hurt his fingers and sulked until we dropped it...*sigh*

12 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Interesting ! Our drummer uaed to want to do this back when he and I played in a different band. I may bring it up again. Will need to actually sit down and learn the parts... 

Oh, who am I kidding, I learn all my parts standing up anyway! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EddiePlaysBass said:

Interesting ! Our drummer used to want to do this back when he and I played in a different band. I may bring it up again. Will need to actually sit down and learn the parts... 

Oh, who am I kidding, I learn all my parts standing up anyway

LMAO!!! 

Its also a great excuse to get loud and trebly! á la Entwhistle's tone, something I don't often do :)

• Like 1

On 28/12/2018 at 18:55, John T said:

She seems to be suffering from a bad case of 'look at me aren't i wonderful'..... Yeah, well done lass, you can play something you had no part in writing, great....

Though that's a completely different conversation.

I haven't watched the video but being in a covers band I find bass cover videos massively helpful for learning songs.  Play on I say.

On 27/12/2018 at 12:03, Unknown_User said:

This.  I've only dabbled with it but it's not easy at all.  I've tried to get my covers band to add it to the roster (so I would have to learn it) a couple of times now but they aren't having it!

Footloose = Nathan East. Nuff said...

Not easy at all at first given the recorded tempo and the fact that live it’ll always come out faster. I just learnt it in sections and forgot about the slight variations he makes towards the end of the song. I used a great vid on You Tube from Greig Fairweather to get this one down.

Right now for me it’s Back Togther Again by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway as a new challenge for our female/male vocalists. Fairly sparse main groove but with that tasty fill up at the 14th-16th fret which is tricky to then get back down to the low F# in time, plus some slides and octave pops. Also the 2nd bass overdubs throughout can be a bit confusing so need to choose which stay in and how.

Edited by Captain Bassman

This week oi 'ave been mostly workin on ....

two bars !

Solo upright 1275727890_Georgiaquote1.PNG.ee52391e004fb8b55eb83960fadd7c78.PNG
whilst singing :
1172102085_Georgiaquote2.PNG.7b68c0c68a0a45fa9c6a825614f36484.PNG
I had difficulty in pitching the G against the Fminor in the second bar , but in the two weeks over the Festive Season I worked on it every day and it is better now .
- If I knew how to do the spoiler thing here I would indicate the lyric . ( Bars 5 & 6 of a standard ). More fun if someone guesses .:)

( Just an ) Old sweet song keeps Geor(gia  on my mind ) [ /spoiler] 

Edited by DaveFry
add spoiler
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, DaveFry said:

...- If I knew how to do the spoiler thing here...

Open square bracket '[', type 'spoiler, close square bracket ']'

Type text or whatever to be hidden...

Open square bracket '[', type '/spoiler' (note the preceding slash '/' this time...), close square bracket ']'.

Hope this helps ...

• Thanks 1

I'm finding it interesting, following this thread, how many peeps are trying to learn the exact bassline from a classic recording of a song. I guess if you're in a covers band, or even more a tribute band, that's what you have to do. It can also be a very good way to learn - I've had some wonderful "lightbulb moments" when I've figured out "Oh, that's how to play that riff I've heard so oftenl!" 🙂 

We mostly play little-known early blues songs (and they're not all 12-bar!), and some others, and for me there are two stages to learning every song - (1) nail the root notes and the groove, so it's minimally giggable, (2) where do I take it from here? How do I develop this, decorate it? Which bass works best, do I want maximum sustain? Do I need a low B, or a high C string?  

And possibly (3) bass solo? We do Stormy Monday as a "signature" long free-flowing semi-improv (think Allman Brothers, though we're on a lower planet!) and I'll have a solo on that as soon as I've nailed exactly what I want to play, but I'll definitely need the 6 for it. At this point what I'm working on is becoming a confident creative musician. 

This is in no way meant as any sort of negative reflection on peeps who are working on classic lines! On the contrary, it would be good for me to do more of that 🙂 

• Like 4

Some classic 70s/80s heavy rock stuff.....in the process of learning Snowblind, The Wizzard by Sabbath....Run with the wolf by Rainbow....Fool for your loving Whitesnake….Straight thro the heart by Dio…..hoping time permitting to learn lots of what I consider classic heavy rock/metal songs just for fun and maybe gig with a future band lol...I doubt it though...happy new year folks this is my new years resolution.

Know what? I can proudly say I've been practicing Hit Me With Your Rhytym Stick daily, and am now playing it at almost full speed. Have to say I'm quite pleased about that, especially as I've only been playing bass less than 6 months (OK, but with many years of guitar behind me). I didn't think my fingers would ever be able to do this 😃

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Foolishly I decided to transcribe Pump it Up by Elvis Costello at my last bass lesson, and I’ve been practicing it ever since, blimey Bruce Thomas was some player.

Great bassline. Loved playing that one in my last covers band.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Foolishly I decided to transcribe Pump it Up by Elvis Costello at my last bass lesson, and I’ve been practicing it ever since, blimey Bruce Thomas was some player.

I wonder, Frank - Did you go for the instant gratification of playing the verse riff down by the nut, or the long game of playing it properly at the 7th fret? 😁

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

The chorus always used to trip me up for some reason. I knew exactly what to play and the phrasing etc high up on the D and G strings, but I really had to concentrate, it never came naturally. 

Great bassline though. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I've just bought a J bass, so I'm trying to play this right now 😲

I want my action like that (fnarr), and that tone...

I haven’t heard that song before... Going to have to transcribe that now. I properly love a bit of Bruno Mars

• Like 1