Why become a member? ×

What are you learning / working on right now?

Crawford13

3 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I should probably add, in relation to the original post, that it means I am working on picking songs out from the record as there are no guides, scores or tabs. I'm loving it at the moment and I've not even done a rehearsal (just an audition).

Can’t leave us hanging, any dates? Name of the band?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I should probably add, in relation to the original post, that it means I am working on picking songs out from the record as there are no guides, scores or tabs. I'm loving it at the moment and I've not even done a rehearsal (just an audition).

I loved that challenge when I joined my current band! It really got my transcribing chops together. Before when transcribing if I was stuck I would find the dots or the tabs, but having no where to turn for answers it really helped my ear!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I remember doing "In The Beginning" in my first proper band and it was great fun to play.

Sounds like a great idea for a tribute band too. I'd go see that.

Dave 

To be honest, Magnum were a band that kinda passed me by at the time and the only song I really knew was ‘Storyteller’s Night’. However, I was asked to join this tribute that had a load of great local players involved, so I am currently learning a set of new (to me) tunes. After two rehearsals it is certainly lots of fun and sounds great.

I would never have thought of Magnum as a viable tribute, but I have been surprised at the interest that has been generated on Facebook, etc months before we are even going to play a gig! Seems to be a band with a larger following than I imagined…

1 minute ago, peteb said:

To be honest, Magnum were a band that kinda passed me by at the time and the only song I really knew was ‘Storyteller’s Night’. However, I was asked to join this tribute that had a load of great local players involved, so I am currently learning a set of new (to me) tunes. After two rehearsals it is certainly lots of fun and sounds great.

I would never have thought of Magnum as a viable tribute, but I have been surprised at the interest that has been generated on Facebook, etc months before we are even going to play a gig! Seems to be a band with a larger following than I imagined…

At the beginning they were a very cult following band as their kind of rock had seen its day just as they were coming into it but they persisted and have quite a few albums now.

While other bands went down the route of Iron Maiden heavy metal style they stuck with the prog based style of rock. Some fantastic songs to play. Met them in their early days and quite an odd band. Keys player Mark Stanway was fantastic and thoroughly enjoyed talking with him. Original bassist was the one i preferred. He had a nice sound with his Jazz bass before moving on to his Aria basses.

Think it will be a very interesting project. Keep us posted on how you get on with them and any gigs up Scotland would be nice.

Dave

1 hour ago, Angelus said:

Can’t leave us hanging, any dates? Name of the band?

The tour hasn't officially been announced *yet* and as it isn't my gig, I am a bit reluctant to go too public right now but when it does I will probably do a thread. I will say we start in Edinburgh on Feb 13th and run through London and a few Midlands / Northern dates before going onto to Italy. I'm hoping I can be a bit more public when I rehearse next month as I am really excited about it.

• Like 3

Piece Of My Heart, Dogs Of War and Valerie (Zutons original) in the song department. I'm also working through the Hal Leonard Bass Blues book I treated myself to on Chrimble Eve. I'm a fair way through it already, which has been a huge encouragement as it shows I know a wee bit more than I thought I did. 

I'm also working out some Passions basslines by ear. It's harder than I thought it would be, but I'm getting there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Are you pulling the right 'bass faces'..? The secret's there. :|

I think so, my lips are about an inch and a half further out than normal... is that about right? 😡

Actually, I'm beginning to think that the "small girl" above is a bit of a hustler... she can also play Mt Everest (What Is Hip). 😌

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I think so, my lips are about an inch and a half further out than normal... is that about right? 😡

Actually, I'm beginning to think that the "small girl" above is a bit of a hustler... she can also play Mt Everest (What Is Hip). 😌

She's been practising. Have you..? :|

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

This... not as naturally easy (for me) as it looks...

Why does my playing sound so "wooly", when that small girl can play it just fine??

Where's my short scale bass... 😌

They're all hustlers, cover vids i mean....All about hits/views.

On 27/12/2018 at 07:06, thebigyin said:

Monster bassline

On 26/12/2018 at 18:32, Cicero said:

I've also been considering this as a 'longer-term' piece to get started on...

Bass playing aside, the most impressive thing about this song is Ian's knowledge of world geography 🌍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Because she's clearly playing it (or learning to mime it that exactly would mean she could play it anyway). And, she's a lovely young lady.

I'd rather pick up basslines from her than somebody that looks like Lemmy. 😁

She seems to be suffering from a bad case of 'look at me aren't i wonderful'..... Yeah, well done lass, you can play something you had no part in writing, great....

Though that's a completely different conversation.

Edited by John T
  • Like 1

On 26/12/2018 at 14:35, mikel said:

Living in the Past and Bouree, both by Jethto Tull. I like the rhythmic and melodic lines in both songs and by coincidence they are both in 5/4 time.

For 2019 I have a few resolutions:

- learn 12 songs (one of which is Bouree) 

- play jazz blues in all 12 keys (tbat one book, figured I would spend a month on each key) 

- get better at walking bass, since it's such a big part of my current playing style. 

In addition, I am slowly working my way through the Wonderworld album (Uriah Heep, of course). The late Gary Thain never ceases to amaze me!! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, John T said:

She seems to be suffering from a bad case of 'look at me aren't i wonderful'..... Yeah, well done lass, you can play something you had no part in writing, great....

Though that's a completely different conversation.

So, nobody should play what they didn't write themselves? Or just pretty young ladies shouldn't? Or if they do, they shouldn't appear to be "happy" about it?

😁

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

So, nobody should play what they didn't write themselves? Or just pretty young ladies shouldn't? Or if they do, they shouldn't appear to be "happy" about it?

😁

That's a completely different conversation.

Edited by John T
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Wouldn't music be interesting if that were the case. 

I suppose publishers don't give a hoot unless there's real money being made... they probably see it as good publicity... like the old saying goes: "Ain't no writ without no hit".

Whether let's say, a successful Queen trib band should pay up to Sony - I dunno... I dunno if they already do... as my honourable friend from Worcester suggests - that's probably for a different thread. :)