Why become a member? ×

What are you learning / working on right now?

Crawford13

There's threats there may be a jam on the horizon- so I've been given "everlong" to learn. Even though I've been an owner / noodler of bass for 15 years, I never really progressed- so this is a challenge! fingers aren't quite up to full speed so half noting the first bit at the mo.

I doubt my learning at this level will inspire anyone on here! :) 

• Like 4

Just now, Dan_Q said:

Not true!

There's all levels of ability on here, and however acomplished (or not so much, in my case), there's always something to learn.

Enjoy your playing & jam :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dan_Q said:

There's threats there may be a jam on the horizon- so I've been given "everlong" to learn. Even though I've been an owner / noodler of bass for 15 years, I never really progressed- so this is a challenge! fingers aren't quite up to full speed so half noting the first bit at the mo.

Main thing is that you enjoy it. Sometimes i enjoy playing really simple bass lines as i can relax and enjoy the set a bit more. Especially true in a new band or gigging with a new set for the first time. I like to get to a point where i don't need to think too much about what i'm playing and it comes naturally. 

Pretty sure you'll nail this song and have a blast. Let us all know how you get on.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always wanted to learn and play a level 42 tune so I started learning the sun goes down earlier this year but then had to learn 30 soul and Motown numbers for a depping gig (which I've done 4 times this year) and started another covers project which might not be suitable for a L42 tune. Off to the back burner with it.

So Christmas is here and I've got a little time on my hands... it's a lot harder than Mark King makes it look! I'm going to have to break it down and play it very slowly 😊. If I manage it Hot Water next.

6 minutes ago, Teebs said:

I got this for Xmas.

Standing in the Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson

I'll try to work my way through the music when I get home. Made the schoolboy error of not bringing a bass to the in-laws :(

Got that last year and its a great book. Enjoy and have fun with it. Might even dig it out again just as a wee refresher

• Thanks 1

Just now, super al said:

I've always wanted to learn and play a level 42 tune so I started learning the sun goes down earlier this year but then had to learn 30 soul and Motown numbers for a depping gig (which I've done 4 times this year) and started another covers project which might not be suitable for a L42 tune. Off to the back burner with it.

So Christmas is here and I've got a little time on my hands... it's a lot harder than Mark King makes it look! I'm going to have to break it down and play it very slowly 😊. If I manage it Hot Water next.

With him coming from a drumming background he has a more rhythmic approach to playing. I struggle with his style to be honest. Enough so i don't even try nowadays xD

1 hour ago, Dan_Q said:

On the contrary, it can be more inspiring to hear from people who are getting started and stepping up for the first time, than from the old hands with years of experience. (No offence intended to the old hands!) 

On my list - 

Stormy Monday - already one of my better basslines, to the point where the band are muttering ominously about a bass solo. Aaarrgghh.

Women Be Wise (Sippie Wallace / Bonnie Rait) and As You Are (Rag 'n' Bone Man). Both adequate but not particularly interesting at the moment. A bit of slide on Women Be Wise I think. Fun.

And this one, which we've been working on for what feels like forever and just won't click. I don't know why, it shouldn't be hard, but I still can't get the phrasing right. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

Not true!

There's all levels of ability on here, and however acomplished (or not so much, in my case), there's always something to learn.

Enjoy your playing & jam :)

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Main thing is that you enjoy it. Sometimes i enjoy playing really simple bass lines as i can relax and enjoy the set a bit more. Especially true in a new band or gigging with a new set for the first time. I like to get to a point where i don't need to think too much about what i'm playing and it comes naturally. 

Pretty sure you'll nail this song and have a blast. Let us all know how you get on.

Dave

7 minutes ago, josie said:

On the contrary, it can be more inspiring to hear from people who are getting started and stepping up for the first time, than from the old hands with years of experience. (No offence intended to the old hands!) 

thanks all. very kind words- and very encouraging for me, appreciate it.

Great for me to hear what you guys are learning- awesome thread! 😎

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Two songs I'm currently working on are:

• Jamirioquai - Too Young Too Due
  • Vulfpeck - Wait for the Moment

I really like both of these bass lines.

In addition to that I'm working on general jamming / improvising basslines on the fly skills. 

Too Young to Die was one of the first pieces I nailed as a non-bassist. Always wanted to learn more early Jamiroquai, which is what made me start learning the bass in earnest this summer just past.

I’ve got 20 songs for a panto I’m doing at the start of March, everything from Justin Timberlake to There’s no business like show business and 20 songs for a new band I’m rehersing with ( hopefully a gig or two after the panto ). Actually, go your own way is on both lists, so not that bad.