Why become a member? ×

Morning finger stiffness?

41Hz

Anyone else get this?

left hand finger joints are stiff first thing in the morning if I’ve played the bass the day before, initially can’t make a fist. Wears off within a few minutes of wriggling my fingers. Just want to make sure I’m not doing any damage or starting with arthritis!

If its only on the day after playing it is more than likely strain on the fingers.

Do you play hard ?

Could be your technique ?

How long have you been playing bass ?

How long are you playing the bass for the day before ?

Arthritis i'm sure usually affects either both hands or both sets of joints wherever it occurs so doesn't sound like that.

My main advice is go see your GP if its happening too often and its worrying you. Very unlikely that anyone on BC is qualified to diagnose the cause.

Dave

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

If its only on the day after playing it is more than likely strain on the fingers.

Do you play hard ?

Could be your technique ?

How long have you been playing bass ?

How long are you playing the bass for the day before ?

Arthritis i'm sure usually affects either both hands or both sets of joints wherever it occurs so doesn't sound like that.

My main advice is go see your GP if its happening too often and its worrying you. Very unlikely that anyone on BC is qualified to diagnose the cause.

Dave

Recently got back into playing a few months ago after a bit of a hiatus, probably just overdoing it as some days I’ve been playing for a couple of hours or more - the longer I’ve been playing the day before the stiffer my fingers the next day. 

Yep sounds like you are simply over-doing it a little. Try playing for just an hour max at any one time. 

I'm retired now so i'll play throughout the day maybe an hour at a time. with couple of hours in between or an hour in morning, hour in afternoon and an hour in evening.

Other days i'll play for half an hour then go have a coffee or a break and then go back to learning whatever song i have on my list for that day.

Currently working on Time Warp from Rocky orror Picture Show for next rehearsal in January along with 4 other songs but this one has a lot of bass runs to remember. Nothing hard but just a lot of movement. Loving it tho.

Dave

3 hours ago, 41Hz said:

Anyone else get this?

left hand finger joints are stiff first thing in the morning if I’ve played the bass the day before, initially can’t make a fist. Wears off within a few minutes of wriggling my fingers. Just want to make sure I’m not doing any damage or starting with arthritis!

I've suffered for years of some kind of juvenile arthritis caused by frequent tonsillitis. Stiff fingers every morning, couldn't make a fist, etc. Luckily I haven't had any symptoms for 15 years or so, now. If you only have these symptoms when you play too much, I don't think it's your case, I agree it would affect both hands, and symptoms would appear regardless of what you did the day before.

But I'd talk about it with a doctor anyways. You want to be 100% sure everything is ok, don't you?  ;)

Edited by oZZma