Why become a member? ×

6 String Bass Project

Jimothey

1 hour ago, Christine said:

How about colour grain filling the oak? There is a book by a guy called George Frank who developed techniques for that back in Art Deco days, it's worth trying to get a library to track down a copy. He also uses techniques like charring/wire brushing and grain filling too. One I remember was wire brushed, black stained then limed and let to fully dry then light sanded before a red filler was applied which gave a background of black with red filled white grain, spectacular!

Edit, this is the book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Wood-Finishing-Fine-woodworking/dp/091880406X

I just searched for it and I came across this 

_20190117_211101.thumb.JPG.1013256a47240e9602a491033f1a95b0.JPG

Is this the kind of effect you meant??

I not sure about the 3 colours but I really like the red which might be worth an experiment?? 😀

• Like 1

That's the sort of thing, almost the same as modern liming (white grain filling) but with a colour, imagine that with a non natural colour like bright yellow or blue too. I have never done that for real but I did a couple of test pieces about 30 years ago for someone who was thinking about something like that. If I remember correctly I used a sealer coat after the staining coat before filling so I could cut back into the sealer without hitting the stained layer and cutting into the wood again

• Like 1

That's just thrown a spanner in the works I thought I had in my head what I wanted to do but I keep on looking at the macassar ebony veneer that I was going to use a couple of builds back but decided to do Zebrano instead now I just don't know?? 

_20190118_091906.thumb.JPG.df263f7d8f1044b8e9c271290d14890e.JPG

Edited by Jimothey

Due to the expensive outlay for a new oven I've had to shelve the Ash and Panga Panga combo idea and I've decided on the 1 piece Sapele back stained black and Macassar Ebony veneered top finished with some Danish oil 

I cut out the body today and started trimming the body to the template, everything was going swimmingly until the bearing on my router bit decided to explode and ripping a big chunk out of the top horn!! (sorry I forgot to take a pic) so I've got to buy a new router bit and glue a lump of a Sapele on then re rout it😠 

Instead of rounding over the top edge I've decided to chamfer it which I think will look good but I'm going to test it on an offcut first............. 

I'm suppose that no-one ever thinks of putting so much as a single drop of 3 in 1 oil on router bit guide bearings.  They are so easy to overlook and take for granted.

I hope your repair looks as good as @Jabba_the_gut's did after his router farted spectacularly that time.

Bevelled edges can look really good if you get them right.  I reckon they'd look good with the body shapes you've shown us so far.

Edited by SpondonBassed

11 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'm suppose that no-one ever thinks of putting so much as a single drop of 3 in 1 oil on router bit guide bearings.  They are so easy to overlook and take for granted.

I hope your repair looks as good as @Jabba_the_gut's did after his router farted spectacularly that time.

Bevelled edges can look really good if you get them right.  I reckon they'd look good with the body shapes you've shown us so far.

Yeah your right it is a thing that is overlooked 

I can only hope that the repair will look half as good as @Jabba_the_gut's but his skills far exceed mine!!

The body shape I based it on has a chamfered top edge but I'm going to try and veneer the chamfer to get the drop top look (which I think will be an arduous task but worth it!!) 

_20190115_172006.thumb.JPG.0496b7ed0a4c50cb6bafd0d307b2d771.JPG

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Ouch.

Luckily it was in a position where I could just cut off square and glue a peice on so I managed to repair it quite well and rounded off the back and chamfered the top........... 

_20190121_132018.thumb.JPG.a37af22c40952a6698bbe671240fae6b.JPG

_20190121_131957.thumb.JPG.25db209025347088f1de1ce5e263d9ec.JPG

I'll probably start the contouring tomorrow and my veneer should be here tomorrow aswell............ 😀 

I'm thinking I might have to try and contour the back 'al a @Andyjr1515 style' to try and remove some weight as the body is a tad on the heavy side

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

@Andyjr1515 I'm thinking that I would need to take out a little bit less than this but I'm not sure how exactly it will go at the bottom of the neck pocket?? Or is this too much?? 

_20190121_143915.thumb.JPG.7bb3194df94bb99bcaed0053497ce4cd.JPG

There are a few things to consider:

• You need enough depth for: the pickups and fixings; pots; jacksocket or - if planning a top-loaded jack position - the jack itself; neck pocket floor
  • Whatever, I wouldn't go thinner than 25mm at the thinnest point.  Even then, I tend to have to cut the pickup fixing screws shorter so they don't poke through the bottom!
  • Personally, I'm generally comfortable with a neck pocket bottom of, say, 15mm (depending on the wood).  However, if that makes you nervous, you can always taper the carve so the body becomes progressively thicker from the tailstock to the heel

Visually, that looks fine to me - and will take out a LOT of weight - but make those checks and consider the 'how am I going to' aspects of each of the elements.

Hope this helps

Andy

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

There are a few things to consider:

• You need enough depth for: the pickups and fixings; pots; jacksocket or - if planning a top-loaded jack position - the jack itself; neck pocket floor
  • Whatever, I wouldn't go thinner than 25mm at the thinnest point.  Even then, I tend to have to cut the pickup fixing screws shorter so they don't poke through the bottom!
  • Personally, I'm generally comfortable with a neck pocket bottom of, say, 15mm (depending on the wood).  However, if that makes you nervous, you can always taper the carve so the body becomes progressively thicker from the tailstock to the heel

Visually, that looks fine to me - and will take out a LOT of weight - but make those checks and consider the 'how am I going to' aspects of each of the elements.

Hope this helps

Andy

At the moment the body is approx 44mm thick and weighs I would guess 1 1/2 times the weight of the original body so I've got to do something to lighten it and I thought this might be the easiest option?........ 

I was probably going to try and keep it to about 30mm in the centre but I think I will have to taper it to the neck pocket,

Apart from the arm carve I was going to keep the top of the body flat, I'm planning on doing a side jack

So I think it'll end up being a very slow process checking, double checking so I don't mess it 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

2 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Another way is to take a few mm off the whole thickness - maybe down to 38mm? - then do a more modest 'arch' carve?  Probably would take out more weight than just an arch.

Yeah that's a good point and it would probably work better thanks mate 👍😀

1 minute ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Another thing I've done in the past with overly heavy solid bodies is rout a chamber in the back with a 'false' control chamber cover...

I was thinking of possibly doing a chamber from the top and glue in a cover plate out of 4mm ply then veneer over the top?..... 

3 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Another thing I've done in the past with overly heavy solid bodies is rout a chamber in the back with a 'false' control chamber cover...

Like this - 

_MG_4401.thumb.JPG.f605ad0bcd044345df4dba76a20410d2.JPG

The top rhs one is mine - the others came with the guitar ;)

And it hides this:

_MG_4354.thumb.JPG.24f5f8a5a5d5dc1ba0a4a8450a0d4070.JPG

Which took remarkably little weight out, but did it change it from 'unplayable' to 'only just playable' :D

4 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I was thinking of possibly doing a chamber from the top and glue in a cover plate out of 4mm ply then veneer over the top?..... 

Ooooooh….I'd forgotten that you are veneering it! 

Oh absolutely.  Do you remember Harry's Harley Benton bass?

_MG_0257.thumb.JPG.f2decce6b58384fe27a219142bd6430c.JPG

_MG_0263.thumb.JPG.a8c23ffb2650bab7de8cc0d673cb9232.JPG

_MG_0337.thumb.JPG.f05ec0e480ef34973c77ce24dad55ea5.JPG

_MG_0526.thumb.JPG.b99a0d7554f44ac226bd6095faec2cf4.JPG

It is surprising JUST how much chambering you need to do, but this made a big, big difference to the playability.

11 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Ooooooh….I'd forgotten that you are veneering it! 

Oh absolutely.  Do you remember Harry's Harley Benton bass?

_MG_0257.thumb.JPG.f2decce6b58384fe27a219142bd6430c.JPG

_MG_0263.thumb.JPG.a8c23ffb2650bab7de8cc0d673cb9232.JPG

_MG_0337.thumb.JPG.f05ec0e480ef34973c77ce24dad55ea5.JPG

_MG_0526.thumb.JPG.b99a0d7554f44ac226bd6095faec2cf4.JPG

It is surprising JUST how much chambering you need to do, but this made a big, big difference to the playability.

That's where I got the idea from! I knew I had seen it done but couldn't remember where I'd seen it!! 

Yeah that's exactly what I had in mind and if I combine that with thinning the body down a bit that hopefully will take the weight down considerably... ........ 😀 

Edited by Jimothey

9 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

That's where I got the idea from! I knew I had seen it done but couldn't remember where I'd seen it!! 

Yeah that's exactly what I had in mind and if I combine that with thinning the body down a bit that hopefully will take the weight down considerably... ........ 😀 

Absolutely.  

Started the weight reduction today its already considerably lighter than it was! It's now roughly the same weight as the original body,

By the time I've routed the pickups, neck pocket and finished the control cavity I think it will be kinda the weight I was aiming for......... 

_20190123_141719.thumb.JPG.7eca7d455962c1b50c6aa968c528f3d3.JPG

Just got some cleaning up of the sides and do the rebate then I'm ready to start capping it off................ 😀 

• Like 3