Why become a member? ×

6 String Bass Project

Jimothey

Thanks to @Bassman666 I'm soon going to the owner of a 6 string bass perfect for a project which has got my creative juices flowing....... 

I'm probably going to go one of two ways using a nice Poplar burl drop top I've seen, either using my Quincy as a template and make my own take on a Wick Corvette or just strip the body and top it but I'm not overly excited about the original body shape! 

_20181226_005626.thumb.JPG.6999b686b55a11e10f89290f733c42a3.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I like poplar burl.  It's the mix of quilting and burl that makes it so attractive when the finish is applied :)

Its going for quite cheap aswell £35 + p&p! There's another drop top which has more of the burl on it but it's mostly down the centre so you would lose a lot of it with the pickups and bridge etc!

My other option is some Golden Phoebe that might look quite nice?? 

_20181226_120818.thumb.JPG.88b581888a43f82c9bfe9f87986460e8.JPG_20181226_120756.thumb.JPG.efb494c07951ab16db57a0e2de34da4a.JPG

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Mmmm crinkly.

@Jimothey, I have to agree with Norris, it's my preference too.  I love a nicely spalted timber but the one shown is a bit fussy with the other figuring.

Six string bass now eh?  Geeky.  Heeheehee

Yeah I'm probably going to see how I get on with playing it before I start the project tho? 🤔

Maybe after that I might try and go fretless 😳

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided that I want to try and make a 6 string Wick Corvette (well my take on it anyway?) 

I've done a template by using my Quincy corvette copy to get the shape then increased the body width by 20mm to allow for the wider neck to keep the proportions the same...... 

_20190105_090443.thumb.JPG.a3de74d5876d126c354a4bbcaa5dc773.JPG

I've just marked out roughly the bridge and neck pocket placement but I will use the original 6 string body as a template for exact sizes placement etc.... 

I've got some Sapele left over from a job that I might use but I'm thinking Ash would look a lot better if I decide to top it with the poplar burl of Golden Phoebe ?? I'm also considering a trans black finish?? 🤔 

• Like 1

Well I've just taken delivery of my new 6 string! when I unpackaged it my immediate reaction was 'jeez that neck is huge!!' but I had a little noodle and it's surprisingly really comfortable to play!! 

My plan was to make a new body for it but looking at it closer the body shape is growing on me so I might strip the body first to see what kind of grain etc it's got then decide from then so it might end up looking a bit like this instead?? 

_20190108_195805.thumb.JPG.72837750aaba5286360ce788663c84da.JPG

Edited by Jimothey

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I like the look of that.

I was staggered how normal @eude 's sixer felt to play too.  I think you'll love this.

The more I play it the nicer it feels which surprised me as I've never picked up a sixer before!! 

I've been thinking about finishes and I thought something like this might look cool 

_20190108_222001.thumb.JPG.5ec78f751b746da29c3837089b4bc478.JPG

Wenge or Walnut veneered top but leave the arm carve and back natural (I think it's Alder??) 😀 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I like the look of that.

I was staggered how normal @eude 's sixer felt to play too.  I think you'll love this.

It is one of the comfiest 6er necks I've played to be fair @Andyjr1515 ;), but folks certainly shouldn't be put off trying a 6.
Those out there who struggle with a 5 string neck should steer clear, but us bassists tend to have stronger and more flexible hands then most so it would make sense that we can easily adapt :) 

@Jimothey, I had the precursor to your Washburn Bantam, the MB6, my first 6 string bass! (pic stolen from elsewhere, I only have video footage of my playing mine live - oh dear) >>

washburn-mb6-622622.jpg

Not nearly as cool as design as the Bantams, and very much of its time, but it was a lovely light and easy to play 6er.
Washburn made some cool basses, but they never seemed to hit to mark for most, which is a shame.
Aria were making really cool basses, and 6ers around the same time, early 90's (showing my age...)

Excited to see what you do with this, will you do a matched headstock too?

Eude

@eude I was a bit nervous about trying the 6'er as I haven't got the biggest hands but it seems OK to play, I do struggle to get the B after about the 17th fret but I won't really need to be up that end very often!? 

My first ever bass was a Washburn 4 string I can't remember the model tho I think it might have been either a xb100 or xb200 in the early 90's

I'm not sure about a matching headstock as yet I think after I veneer the body I'll have a look and see what I think? 

I leaning toward a walnut veneer (but I can't decide quarter sawn or burl) as I think the contrast would look really nice? Whatever I choose I'm going to just finish it with danish oil so it will be more of a satin finish 😀 

28 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

@eude I was a bit nervous about trying the 6'er as I haven't got the biggest hands but it seems OK to play, I do struggle to get the B after about the 17th fret but I won't really need to be up that end very often!? 

My first ever bass was a Washburn 4 string I can't remember the model tho I think it might have been either a xb100 or xb200 in the early 90's

I'm not sure about a matching headstock as yet I think after I veneer the body I'll have a look and see what I think? 

I leaning toward a walnut veneer (but I can't decide quarter sawn or burl) as I think the contrast would look really nice? Whatever I choose I'm going to just finish it with danish oil so it will be more of a satin finish 😀 

I wouldn't worry about getting all the way up there on the B, I tend to work my way to another string once I get up beyond the 10th fret max, the clarity of notes higher up the B tends to get a bit mushy on all extended range basses I've played anyway.

I'm a sucker for a matched headstock, so it would get my vote anyway ;) 

Eude

14 minutes ago, eude said:

Trick, but I've always been a sucker for Warwick designs, so that would get my vote...

So am I the corvette is one of my all time favourite bass shapes!! It was my plan all along to do my take on a corvette but I like the original body shape with the quirky arm carve 🤔

1 minute ago, Jimothey said:

I didn't know whether to tweak the horns a bit more so they are a bit more turned in towards the neck?? 🤔 

Not on this design I wouldn't (but that's just my view - you have to remember that with your own designs, it is only your own preference that actually matters ;)  )

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Not on this design I wouldn't (but that's just my view - you have to remember that with your own designs, it is only your own preference that actually matters ;)  )

Yeah I know but because I've made some bad judgement calls on previous builds I like to get other peoples opinions 😁

My ideas of woods for the body is 32mm Ash back (Chambered) with 6mm Panga Panga or African Walnut top and a 2mm demarcation line of some sort in between......... 

Edited by Jimothey