Why become a member? ร—

6 String Bass Project

Jimothey

I got the cavities all capped off, arm carve and routed out for the neck and pickups...........ย 

_20190128_135651.thumb.JPG.95dce689ef80f19b79929aaad0a219b3.JPG

And the veneer is rough cut, I had a go at steaming and bending the veneer over the chamfer but to no avail it just split!! so I think it's going to now be cut to the top not wrapped over........ ๐Ÿ˜€ย 

_20190128_140207.thumb.JPG.57243b4484bd281d7235b4af5a3c1782.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

The veneer is all glued (apart from one little bit) up and dried overnight so I started trimming and sanding it back today.......... ๐Ÿ˜€ย 

_20190130_131234.thumb.JPG.2ee089b18c67089d1379f2106a6632d3.JPG

I'm in two minds whether to stain the Sapele black I don't know if it will be too much of a contrast or whether to use the tinted Danish oil I used on one of my other builds??

_20190130_133653.thumb.JPG.07db85ad463bc2ef64bd321a2786d116.JPG

The top will be just normal Danish oil....... ๐Ÿ˜€ย 

ย 

Edited by Jimothey

• 2 weeks later...

After a few stupidly busy weeks at work I finally got some time to do some more!ย 

I've done the matching headstock now and got a few coats of wipe in satin poly...........ย 

_20190218_155414.thumb.JPG.6f2b952323f7848e77e14341d7d42476.JPG

Control cavity is all routed out just got to make the cover and the electrics have arrived so I'll fit them in the next few days then its finishing time!!........

I'm considering getting some block inlay decals for the neck which I think will finish it off nicely ๐Ÿ˜€ย 

• Like 3

I've had an idea that I'm not sure on and need people's opinions.........ย 

Would it be too much if I veneered the tops of the pickups or would it be better to leave them black?? ๐Ÿค”ย 

_20190219_112957.thumb.JPG.eeb8a7acc1a065fb47042494567be487.JPG

ย 

Edited by Jimothey

I've now done 3 coats on the front and 3 on the back and cavity cover which I've veneered just to give the back a bit of colour,ย 

Next job is to solder up the pickups, drill for the ground to the bridge, fit the jack socket plate and strap buttons then I think I'm ready to string it up ๐Ÿ˜

Cor!ย  That looks brilliant.ย  Inspiring thread.ย  I don't suppose someone with very rudimentary woodworking skills, a drill, a handsaw and a chisel could aspire to something like that?ย  I presume you'd need some serious carpentry tools?ย 

Whenever I've seen YouTube videos of people making bass bodies they've always been in a huge workshop passing the thing through industrial sanders and cutting machines.ย  Would that be necessary or am I making excuses for myself? ๐Ÿ˜€

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

Cor!ย  That looks brilliant.ย  Inspiring thread.ย  I don't suppose someone with very rudimentary woodworking skills, a drill, a handsaw and a chisel could aspire to something like that?ย  I presume you'd need some serious carpentry tools?ย 

Whenever I've seen YouTube videos of people making bass bodies they've always been in a huge workshop passing the thing through industrial sanders and cutting machines.ย  Would that be necessary or am I making excuses for myself? ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanksย 

I only use a router, jigsaw, hand tools, orbital sander and a bobbin sander on all my builds, if I had a bandsaw, thicknesser etc it would make life easierย 

I'm sure that if you have basic woodworking tools/skills and took your time you could make your own custom bass body. If you get stuck doing something there will be a number of people on here that would be more than happy to advise/help you?

If you are thinking of doing it I would advise using cheap wood for your first attempt so that if things do go awry then it won't be a costly mistake........... ๐Ÿ˜€ย 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, itu said:

The bass front and back are like B&W or positive/negative. For sure that was naturally intentional.

Yes that was the look I was going for! It's not to everyone's taste but I really like having contrasting colours on my builds............. ๐Ÿ˜€ย 

3 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Thanksย 

I only use a router, jigsaw, hand tools, orbital sander and a bobbin sander on all my builds, if I had a bandsaw, thicknesser etc it would make life easierย 

I'm sure that if you have basic woodworking tools/skills and took your time you could make your own custom bass body. If you get stuck doing something there will be a number of people on here that would be more than happy to advise/help you?

If you are thinking of doing it I would advise using cheap wood for your first attempt so that if things do go awry then it won't be a costly mistake........... ๐Ÿ˜€ย 

Thanks for this. My Dad has a jigsaw I could borrow. I've used it before for laminate flooring and kitchen units so I'm not totally wet behind the ears with it!

Although I've heard them mentioned I had to look up what a router was. I can imagine that's pretty hard to use? I find it hard enough getting a perfectly straight line with a jigsaw.ย 

Yeah I'd definitely use plywood or something first off! I suppose the problem with that would be sanding the edges smooth without it flaking everywhere?

2 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

Thanks for this. My Dad has a jigsaw I could borrow. I've used it before for laminate flooring and kitchen units so I'm not totally wet behind the ears with it!

Although I've heard them mentioned I had to look up what a router was. I can imagine that's pretty hard to use? I find it hard enough getting a perfectly straight line with a jigsaw.ย 

Yeah I'd definitely use plywood or something first off! I suppose the problem with that would be sanding the edges smooth without it flaking everywhere?

Quite a few people don't like using routers as you can easily make a catastrophic mistake with them but I mostly use them with a jig and a bearinged cutter so that does eliminate a bit of the degree for mistakes but even though I've been using them for the last 20 years accidents still happen just look at what happened earlier in this thread!! You can shape the body, round over the edges, rout out pickup cavities, etc easier and quicker with a router but they are not essentialย 

If you buy cheap shuttering ply then you will struggle with tear out but if you go for a WBP ply then generally it won't tear out as much, if it does you shouldn't worry too much as this will only be a test run piece.ย 

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with a build! There's no better feeling than playing your homebuilt bass for the first time and thinking 'I made that!!' but be warned it is very addictive I only did my first one last year and this is my 6th build and I'm already planning the next one!! ๐Ÿ˜ย 

Edited by Jimothey

• 7 months later...

Bit of an update on this project the body is too heavy and a bit uncomfortable for meย to playย so Iโ€™ve decided to refinish the original body in satin black and add a pickguard to make a look a bit different

A85A7E4E-474D-4383-B16E-A275FDEF49D1.thumb.jpeg.e015b3d3faa1715b1faa7e06ad51b199.jpeg

i still need to strip off the veneer and eitherย colour match the headstock or leave it Maple Iโ€™ll decided once the veneer is off.........๐Ÿ˜€

Edited by Jimothey

Hereโ€™s the original body back on Iโ€™m thinking of removing the block as I donโ€™t think they go too well with the body or I might change them to white instead............๐Ÿ˜€

8883EB04-B22C-4DB3-9759-F5E8D0A933AA.thumb.jpeg.b76b649c0028e8275a6403a80873459b.jpeg

i weighed the bass before I changed the body and it weighed 5.4kg and now with the original body back on it weighs 3.6kg...............๐Ÿ‘

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1