Why become a member? ×

It's Bass O'Clock

stewblack

Just now, TheGreek said:

Been itching to play all day...keep getting interrupted by texts, emails, phone calls, etc. Even had a bit of a nap (which is unusual for me).

Probably leave it till tomorrow now.

Don't do it. You'll regret it. All time not spent playing bass is time wasted 🤓

• Haha 2

No bass for me until I get home on the 29th!

But I did see a nice Epiphone 335 in the local crack converters and I've been hankering after a semi acoustic guitar, so I may well buy that tomorrow or the day after to tide me over.

Edited by TheRev
  • Thanks 1

I had a quick noodle on the Hofner violin bass that son #2 wanted for Christmas. Just a cheap Ignition, but actually a very nice little bass which arrived set up, intonated, and even in tune from Anderton's. I've never really fancied one before myself, but it's rather fun

• Like 1

Not a Morning Person myself... after a quiet day and a sedate couple of G&Ts it's time for a play. I've just started a policy of rotating my (now stable I hope) family of five basses, today it's the fretless, for the first time in a while. It's the smallest and heaviest of the five - I need to do some strength training before I gig it again 😞 

5a413be19b2f0_P1030934(1).thumb.jpg.ddd95407a135e70c7309049b2b029177.jpg

Ps half an hour later - I'd forgotten how easy she is to play and how good she sounds! 🙂 🙂 

Edited by josie
added ps
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, josie said:

Not a Morning Person myself... after a quiet day and a sedate couple of G&Ts it's time for a play. I've just started a policy of rotating my (now stable I hope) family of five basses, today it's the fretless, for the first time in a while. It's the smallest and heaviest of the five - I need to do some strength training before I gig it again 😞 

5a413be19b2f0_P1030934(1).thumb.jpg.ddd95407a135e70c7309049b2b029177.jpg

Ps half an hour later - I'd forgotten how easy she is to play and how good she sounds! 🙂 🙂 

Very nice, it has made me want to get the Warwick corvette fretless out :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 3below said:

Very nice, it has made me want to get the Warwick corvette fretless out :)

Warwicks are like Stingrays for me, every time I see one I want one, and every time I pick one up it just doesn't feel good. (A useful GAS limitation 🙂 ) The GMR fretless is the sister of my first ever and still most loved bass, my GMR Bassforce 5, who from the moment I first picked her up felt like a detachable body part and sang in my arms 🙂 Still my go-to bass, as much as I love the others. 

IMG_1039.thumb.jpg.87533b5a7df295772d0f9bd15b0b497b.jpg

On 25/12/2018 at 19:01, Jus Lukin said:

itching like a bugger

Nasty.  It'll be the bottle brush and disinfectant for you then...  heeheehee

Seriously though, I wonder if there is an addictive aspect to playing as you describe.  I mean, you are talking about withdrawal symptoms after all.

Respect.  I float in and out of playing (for myself in practice mostly) daily with breaks of weeks at a time in between.  That said, I get the strong urge to pluck out some beats after about three weeks or so and if I am in a position to practice daily, I'll go for another few weeks of daily sessions.

I suppose you'd call it binge bassing.

Often I find that something I was struggling with in the last series of sessions has somehow fallen into place in the long interval between without further practice.  Funny that.

The bass is definitely an addiction for me, when I’m not playing I’m thinking of Basslines or listening to music to find new ones to play or reading bass books, I have books or tabs in my car , van , on my office desk and at home on the sofa and when I’m not doing all of these ,  I’m on basschat of course 😀

• Like 2

had been playing bass pretty much every day for the last couple of months in preparation of a couple of dep gigs last weekend.  Since they dropped me off in the wee small hours of Sunday morning the basses have sat in their cases in the hallway, to be unpacked at some point.  No real impetus to play right now.  I have, however, spent a bit of time playing acoustic guitar, which has been largely untouched since October, and even a bit of electric.

Then on Christmas Day I was back at my parents place and was summoned round to their neighbour's house.  Her husband had died a few months ago, and did I want his guitar and amp as they are cluttering up the place and I'm the only person they know who plays guitars - a Squier strat and small Marshall MG combo?  A hobby he'd started when he retired, which was only a couple of years ago, they hold no affection or special memories for the widow, and by coincidence I have a friend who was wanting to get a guitar and amp but is about to buy a flat so hasn't had any spare money to pay for it.  So i can find a good home for them, how very generous...

So I spent a chunk of yesterday trying to get the Squier into a fit state to play. It's clearly the cheapest end of their range, playable if chunky neck, but tuning stability is not a strength...I'll have to return to it, and work out whether it's the trem or the tuners that are the problem...

4 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

...and work out whether it's the trem or the tuners that are the problem...

It's the trem; it's always the trem..! 9_9

:lol:

No, really; tuners, even cheapish ones, are rarely that duff, but trems are a dark science from another dimension. If the recipient is not a 'Shadows' fan, I'd suggest 'hard-tailing' it; that, at least, will show up any failings in the tuners..! Cut a cork to suit and jam the trem at its stops; that'll make the guitar playable. Trems, eh..? Whoever thought they were a Good Idea..? :/
Generous indeed, on your part too, I'd say. :hi:

Edited by Dad3353

I think the tuners on those Squiers are poor quality, so I wouldn’t rule out having to replace them.

But yes, first thing is to block the trem, and see how the guitar tunes up after that.

I personally think the trem/whammy on a Strat, well set up, is delicious and spine tingling. YMMV etc etc.

i'm with the others, my money's on the trem.

The standard Fender Strat style trem is an intrinsically flawed design.

It might be worth adding an extra spring or two to see if that stabilizes things before resorting to blocking it off completely.

Outside bet on knackered strings.

Edited by Cato