Why become a member? ×

Geddy in the Guardian

YeastieB

I didn't really love Clockwork Angels...  like a lot of the more recent albums, it was too self-conscious, the production was dense and lifeless, and it sounded like Geddy had to shoehorn the lyrics into the track.

I liked it when the used to write songs, with a bit of space and dynamic. Turn the Page would be on my list of overlooked Rush tunes.

Also, another overlooked album, but the production on Counterparts sounds so alive. Better than the albums either side of it.

I like most of them for various reasons, well, if you ignore the 90s on, until maybe more recently obviously, but that goes without saying.

But which one is my favourite really depends on if I am in a Permanent Waves / Moving Pictures, or Signals -> Power Windows sort of mood.

Was never that keen on Hold your fire, even though I enjoyed the gig. It was the last album from moving pictures onwards that I bought on release day.

Edited by Woodinblack

By-Tor and the Snow Dog obviously their best track. I first got into them when 2112 was released and first saw them with Farewel to Kings tour and have enjoyed their albums ever since. Yes all slightly different with some better than others but that's what keeps Rush interesting.

Think Moving Pictures is probably my preferred album and the one i play most.

Dave

1 hour ago, visog said:

Stop getting Rush wrong! It's Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures that are the best. Not the bland synth Pop of the latter years.

This. That era (Permanent Waves in particular) is the point where they stopped being a mishmash of plagiarised influences and defined their own sound, to my ears.

Never been one for picking "best" or even "favourite" tracks but if I wanted to play a track that represented Rush to someone who didn't know them, it would be Free Will from PW. Hits every defining Rush feature, for me.

Re: the article itself - a bit of a shame that even after Rush being validated by an outrageously successful 40-year career, the Grauniad writer can't get past the sneery put-downs - "widdly-woo music" and the inevitable implication that musicianship & technically complex music are intrinsically valueless.

Seems some dismal & dated music hack tropes are destined to never go away... 9_9

• Like 2

Moving Pictures to me is the essence of Rush, timeless, passionate and a special album for me nostalgically. The production is unbiased, musicianship and songwriting at it's very best, Limelight is still one of the greatest examples of songwriting/musicianship by any band not just Rush.

Hemispheres and 2112 are big faves of mine too

'Turn the Page' from Hold your fire is a gem as is Geddy's bassline....Good album but i really disliked 'Tai Shan' .

They deliver consistantly creatively evolving modern music and it's kind of expected of them but then they have moments of sheer brilliance like 'The Garden'...last track on CA and what a parting shot, i remember hearing that for the first time and i filled up, music does that to me like nothing else.

2 hours ago, John T said:

They deliver consistently creatively evolving modern music and it's kind of expected of them but then they have moments of sheer brilliance like 'The Garden'...last track on CA and what a parting shot, i remember hearing that for the first time and i filled up, music does that to me like nothing else.

Definitely this!

8 hours ago, Delberthot said:

Was it just me that read the thread title as "Geddy in the Garden"?

I thought that he'd embarked on a new career presenting a TV gardening program.

Bringing some lifeson to his geddyolas i'll peart :laugh1:

Edited by dmccombe7