Why become a member? ×

Early 80`s BURNS Bass (Made in Japan, Neck-through), with hardcase
£550

Funky Dave

80`s BURNS Bass (Made in Japan, Neck-through), £550

I selling a extremly rare BURNS Bass (Made in Japan). Made in Morridiara Factory, Japan. Sometimes these instruments appear under "Morris Global Sound" trademark.
Body design similar to early Alembic /J&D bases. Very rare model, not possible to find similar bass in web. Built in in early 80`ties, no serial. In good condition, few scratches on body.
Very amazing sustain on all strings and unique vintage tone. Absolutelly NO any hum or noise in headphones in active and passive mode. This instument is very good for recording as well as live!

Neck: Neck-through, 5-piece walnut/flamed maple
Fretboard: Rosewood with pearl ovals
Body: alder body with walnut top/bottom.
Weight: less than 4 kg.
Scale: 34”
Brass nut (top).
20 frets. Frets are 30-40% wear remaining.
String spacing at bridge: 18.5-19 mm.
Instrument equiped with new two piece Warvick bridge, and it is possible to adjust string spacing/bridge height depending on your needs.

Original single coil pickups, pots and bridge was replaced by luther with new humbucker PU and preamp:

Pickups: Seymour Duncan Passive Soapbar set SSB-4s (ceramic magnets):
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/passive-soapbar-set-phase-ii?__uuid_ref=5bb5e210995e4?__uuid_ref=5bb5e21099628

Preamp: Glockenklang 3 band EQ, active/passive switching by push/pull volume pot.
Volume (passive/active mode push-pull) / Balance / Treble /Middle /Bass controls
https://www.glockenklang.de/en/products/products_bass.htm

Instrument comes with big wooden hardcase.
Instgument will be profesiionally packed for shipping.

Located in Riga, Latvia.
Shipping to EU/UK without problem.
Price: £550 + shipping, depending of destination.

VRP-8521.jpg

VRP-8522.jpg

VRP-8525.jpg

VRP-8526.jpg

This is an interesting bass. I agree that it's a Moridaira build - the woodwork is very similar to Hohner's IB780 Innovator bass - apart from the pickup routes & slightly more Alembic-ish body/headstock, it would seem to be a variation the same instrument.

HohnerMori04.thumb.jpg.14cb1c4d9a143e41987833dd320c7aa8.jpg

I've seen pics of these branded as Morris & HS Anderson as well as Hohner. There's actually a slightly messed-around example of a Hohner on Ebay at the moment - a bit tatty & unoriginal for the money IMO.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Old-HOHNER-through-neck-BASS-GUITAR-/192761317090

There's no record of the UK Burns brand ever being produced in Japan, and the era from which your bass comes (around 1980) is very well documented - I'm pretty sure this is nothing to do with Jim Burns guitars. Many Moridaira instruments were sold unbranded and I can't help thinking it's a possibility that a previous owner's put that logo on at some point in its life.

I think it's a pity the original hardware and electronics have been replaced, that never adds value to a vintage instrument. Do you still have the original components?

Anyway, a very unusual bass & one I haven't seen before. GLWTS!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank, you for information and catalogue page!
I have seen similar Hohner (but with other logo on headstock). Maybe you are right, no any common with "Burns UK". I buy this bass with this logo, and maybe some one put personally.

About hardware: i have original electronics (pots, jack) and bridge (with little rust). Pickups was single coil (in a humbucker frame) and was unfunctional. I`am not shure that that was original pickups of the bass.

regards,

Denis

• 1 month later...