Why become a member? ×

Nordstrand bridge pickup advice

rubis

Hi

I was hoping for a bit of advice from anyone with experience of Nordstrand pickups 

I am in the process of building a 5 string bass and have a p-bass pickup (the alnico NP5, I think), I want to add a bridge pickup and will be using with an onboard OBP1 preamp.

I have a 4 string Blingray with a Nordstrand MM style pickup and love it, so I know that which ever I go for, its going to be nice, but the problem is which bridge pickup would pair with the p style the best.?

If it helps, it will be used for home recording, so hum-cancelling would be an advantage. The body isn't yet made, so routing isn't an issue, and I would like a thick sounding pickup which could hold its own against

the p bass pickup (I seem to remember reading somewhere that with pj style basses, the bridge j pickup could sometimes sound a bit weedy in comparison to the p humbucker) 

Any thoughts or advice on a soapbar or j style would be gratefully accepted 

Merry Christmas everyone 

Edited by rubis

Humcancelling would be a great match with a splitcoil, as it is wired in series and therefore humcancelling too. Blending a singlecoil with a splitcoil often results in hum when both pickups are on (and when you're playing the bridge pickup solo, of course). Any stacked-coil or side-by-side splitcoil will mix nicely. Nordstrand has some lovely splitcoils in a J-style casing. 

Nordstrand does not normally make a 5-string version of the NJ4SE, but it sounds like this would be a great match. Might be worth emailing them for a custom quote, as they seem to be open to this. 

https://nordstrandaudio.com/collections/4-string-jazz-bass-pickups/products/nj4se-hum-cancelling