Why become a member? ×

Bros Doc

Frank Blank

1 hour ago, Stylon Pilson said:

I'm not a fan of Metallica - will I still enjoy the film?

S.P.

Same, I like some (very) heavy music although not a fan of Metallica at all, but Some Kind Of Monster is a brilliant film. Same deal as the Bros docu really, they're totally dysfunctional at the point that the film is being made, just makes for brilliant viewing!

Si

• Like 1

Some Kind Of Monster is a great film, I could hardly believe they allowed it to go out... :)

Bros film is hilarious too - although they are both twits I changed my mind who was biggest about half way through.

The most awful doc I’ve seen (in a good way) was about Bucks Fizz - that guy from Dollar had bought the band name and was trying to pass his version off as the real one  while remaining members of the original band were trying to stop him. Really awful. Not sure if it’s available anywhere. 

Edited by tedmanzie

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:49, Sibob said:

Not least the hired band REALLY deserved to get a cool arena show out of it after what seemed like a horrendous rehearsal period.

Just watched this and realised the guitarist /MD is an old mate from this area, Gary Miller. I was (briefly) in the same band with him, and he's an amazing musician as well as being a lovely bloke too. He went on to work with loads of big names ( Lionel Richie, George Michael) and thoroughly deserved to do well. He's now a Malibu resident, and comes home occasionally to see family and friends - last time he popped in to see our band play!  It looks like his saintly patience would have been tested a fair bit after watching the rehearsals in the Bros documentary...

• Like 1

I watched Some Kind Of Monster recently and it was incredibly interesting, though I wouldn't agree with Beedster's comment that it is like the "real life Spinal Tap". I found most of the band members to be generally fairly intelligent, articulate and respectful of each other. James Hetfield is certainly a lot more stable once he gives up the drink.

S.P.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stylon Pilson said:

...I found most of the band members to be generally fairly intelligent, articulate and respectful of each other...

And I retained a contrary opinion. I watched it the other day (bought as being recommended as a good documentary, despite not being a fan of their music...). I took them to be almost incapable (on film, at least...) of expressing any real feelings without being misunderstood, or fudging around for fear of being misunderstood, or finding meanings where there were none, and more. The 'shrink' seemed to be manipulating the propos much of the time, and clouding whatever issues they may have wanted to bring up with all sorts of hocus-pocus. For me, the film failed to show just how they get to work stuff out, between the laying down of a rather mundane riff and a basic 'four on the floor' back beat, with a sprinkling of shouty cigarette-packet 'lyrics', into an almost coherent stage performance. Either the interesting parts were left on the cutting-room floor, or were not filmed at all.
Still, it was cheap enough, s/h from Amazon, so no regrets, really. I'll not be studying it closely for tips on people management, though.

4 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

I watched Some Kind Of Monster recently and it was incredibly interesting, though I wouldn't agree with Beedster's comment that it is like the "real life Spinal Tap". I found most of the band members to be generally fairly intelligent, articulate and respectful of each other. James Hetfield is certainly a lot more stable once he gives up the drink.

S.P.

I was a massive Metallica fan until I watched that documentary. They say you should never meet your heroes. I would add, you should never watch a documentary about them either. James and Lars especially came off as total and utter bellends. Jason Newstead always seemed like the exception. But then he's a bass player so that's only to be expected. 😋

Bros on the other hand. Well I always thought they were a couple of bellends anyway so I actually enjoyed their documentary. 

10 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I was a massive Metallica fan until I watched that documentary. They say you should never meet your heroes. I would add, you should never watch a documentary about them either. James and Lars especially came off as total and utter bellends. Jason Newstead always seemed like the exception. But then he's a bass player so that's only to be expected. 😋

Bros on the other hand. Well I always thought they were a couple of bellends anyway so I actually enjoyed their documentary. 

I put off watching it for years because I thought it would make me dislike the band that I'd loved - I actually saw it for the first time over Christmas (as I found it on Netflix).  I'm glad I did, because I think I would have hated it at the time - Hetfield is controlling, as is Lars but in a slightly more charming and conciliatory way, Kirk just seems pleased to be there while around the band, and then goes home silently fuming that he's not been given a say in anything.  And the irony of the film - all prompted by a bass player quitting because of how badly they treated him, they recognise that they must do better (as appear to do so when they hire Trujillo - his face when they give him a $1m advance, and when they reject the lawyer's suggestion that he shouldn't be a full partner in the band) but dismiss any suggestion that maybe they should re-hire Newsted (who presumably will never be sending Bob Rock a Christmas card again after he led the discussion about why they didn't need him...coincidentally when he's been playing bass on the new album...).  But watching it now, and especially watching the half hour follow up from ten years later, I think they come out of it OK.  And worth mentioning that in the follow up, Lars concedes that the therapist comes over as very controlling and doesn't get the credit for the work he did holding the band together.

Also, now that I understand what they were trying to do on St Anger, it's made me view that quite differently.  Still no excuse for Lars' drum sound though

• Like 1

I always wondered whether the therapist guy (Phil something?) was intentionally intrusive, as if he was deliberately engineering a situation where the band rejected him as a cohesive unit. At the time I thought that was why he was going as far as suggesting lyrics etc, maybe he was just a complete berk.

6 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

a situation where the band rejected him as a cohesive unit

Ah, you've just reminded me of the scene where they're recording the advertising slot for the radio station. In the previous scene they'd all been at each others throats, but having that shared disdain of whoring themselves out was the most adorable bonding moment. It brought a tear to my eye, I do declare.

S.P.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Also, now that I understand what they were trying to do on St Anger, it's made me view that quite differently.  Still no excuse for Lars' drum sound though

St Anger was the point at which I stopped listening to Metallica, it was total and utter dross (only imho of course) and I haven't listened to anything they've done since. Which is a shame really as I liked pretty much everything they'd done up to that point. I was a massive fan right up to The Black Album, so much so that when I got married my wife walked down the isle to Nothing Else Matters. 

Can only think of this after watching ..

Matt St Hubbins : " How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you ?"

Luke Tufnel : "  There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black. You can't really dust for vomit.  "

Craig Smalls : " We're very lucky in the band in that we have two visionaries, Matt and Luke, they're like poets, like Shelley and Byron. They're two distinct types of visionaries, it's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. "

Edited by fleabag
  • Haha 2

Watched the full documentary last night, as it was repeated. Some total gems: Matt or Luke said in all seriousness, 'Taken my lead from Stevie Wonder, I don't believe in superstition'!

The faces of the musos as they tried to rehearse with this pair of petulant children were amusing, given they had to remain  very tactful. Someone must have put together a lucrative deal for the reunion, as the twins had very real issues with each other ( and reality)!

On 03/01/2019 at 15:35, tedmanzie said:

Some Kind Of Monster is a great film, I could hardly believe they allowed it to go out... :)

Bros film is hilarious too - although they are both twits I changed my mind who was biggest about half way through.

The most awful doc I’ve seen (in a good way) was about Bucks Fizz - that guy from Dollar had bought the band name and was trying to pass his version off as the real one  while remaining members of the original band were trying to stop him. Really awful. Not sure if it’s available anywhere. 

On 17/01/2019 at 09:21, Monkey Steve said:

I put off watching it for years because I thought it would make me dislike the band that I'd loved - I actually saw it for the first time over Christmas (as I found it on Netflix).  I'm glad I did, because I think I would have hated it at the time - Hetfield is controlling, as is Lars but in a slightly more charming and conciliatory way, Kirk just seems pleased to be there while around the band, and then goes home silently fuming that he's not been given a say in anything.  And the irony of the film - all prompted by a bass player quitting because of how badly they treated him, they recognise that they must do better (as appear to do so when they hire Trujillo - his face when they give him a $1m advance, and when they reject the lawyer's suggestion that he shouldn't be a full partner in the band) but dismiss any suggestion that maybe they should re-hire Newsted (who presumably will never be sending Bob Rock a Christmas card again after he led the discussion about why they didn't need him...coincidentally when he's been playing bass on the new album...).  But watching it now, and especially watching the half hour follow up from ten years later, I think they come out of it OK.  And worth mentioning that in the follow up, Lars concedes that the therapist comes over as very controlling and doesn't get the credit for the work he did holding the band together.

On 17/01/2019 at 10:45, lemmywinks said:

I always wondered whether the therapist guy (Phil something?) was intentionally intrusive, as if he was deliberately engineering a situation where the band rejected him as a cohesive unit. At the time I thought that was why he was going as far as suggesting lyrics etc, maybe he was just a complete berk.

I watched Some kind of monster the other day (well most of it, I still have about half hour left too watch) and found it an entertaining watch. I have the following observations

James Hetfield - Complete control freak, all that crap about I can only work 4 hour days so all of you should only work 4 hour days.  The bit about him hunting bears at the start didn't fly with me either, he was like I killed 2 bears on vacation, one of the other guys asked "can you eat them" to which he replied that you couldn't.

Lars Ulrich - Another control freak, him telling Kirk that he cant play solos on the album, I felt a bit sorry for Kirk, just let the guy play some solos for god sake, he doesn't tell you not too abuse the snare drum on every song

Kirk Hammett - Seems like a nice enough guy, pretty easy going compared to the others, he does actually come across as a nice guy without the huge ego of Hetfield and Ulrich

Jason Newsted - I loved the bit were Metallica went to see his new band and they stuck around to speak to the band after the show and Jason disappeared before they could talk to him, obviously had no interest in talking to them  lol

The therapist - what a complete tool

Dave Mustaine - What a whining self pitying silly billy, decades on and still crying about Metallica sacking him , all this crap about "how do you think that made me feel"

Edited by markdavid

• 4 months later...

Watched this at the weekend, this is without a doubt the funniest film i've seen all year,  I laughed so hard it hurt, it is absolute comedy gold.  I don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it so I wont say too much but my favourite bit was the dog painting.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 03/01/2019 at 15:35, tedmanzie said:

I remember that doc.

Bucks Fizz are a million miles from my type of music..... but by the end of the doc I was rooting for them . They seemed OK people at least and the Dollar guy was a complete twunt. He is exactly the sort of person you don't want to invite into your band.

On 24/12/2018 at 12:25, Monkey Steve said:

I was at school with them - Craig was a great bloke, very bright and I'm not surprised to see that he's made a decent career in music after leaving the band.  The other two were never the smartest tools in the box

Can't quite bring myself to watch it...

My olders daughter was at school with the daughter of one of their kids.  I think its the one whos now bald (the dad, not the kid), but frankly never botherered to ask his name because I couldnt care less.  To be fair, he would often give a cheery "good morning/afternoon" at the school gates and didn't  seem up himself.

On 30/12/2018 at 19:12, NancyJohnson said:

Me and the good lady just watched it.  I'll say from the outset that I never found This Is Spinal Tap remotely amusing and to describe the Bros: After the Screaming Stops as being comedy gold is a bit fallacious.  Sure there's some truly terrible dialogue, but this isn't the Troggs Tapes or a documentary peppered with observational Tufnelesques such as, 'These go to eleven.'

I found it very uncomfortable viewing to be honest; have no idea how much of it was scripted/staged, but some of the rehearsal footage reminded me of situations I'd been in in the past ('Is this what it was like in the Johnsons?' Asked my wife at one point.)  Matt Goss just comes over like a mousy-haired and less-astute version of Jamie Redknapp, whereas Luke seems to be a little more switched on.  Both of them seemed to be prone to turning on the waterworks at the mention of family/money.

Sadly, no mention of Camberley life or Ken Craig (hopefully the lad distanced himself from this, but he seems to have landed on his feet).

One viewing is enough!

So it's  not like Spinal Tap, but it's just like Spunal Tap.  Hhmm.