Why become a member? ×

ebay seller making up the rules...

prowla

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Oh, and it certainly wasn't my intention to include you as "that type of buyer". I didn't think that for a moment.

As you alluded to in your previous posts on this thread - in many scenarios, there actually would have been more "buyer protection" available to you if you had agreed to pay via Paypal in advance, and of course, the fees are applied to the seller... I think most would agree that under the eBay/PP system, there's more protection for buyer's than seller's.

To answer your question(ish) of whether it was odd or unusual for the seller to request PP payment prior to collection - in my opinion, no. It's not unusual.

Of course, some sellers choose to go the other way, by insisting on  "cash on collection only".

I think neither is right or wrong, however it is up to the seller to decide those terms. In this case, the seller's terms seem to have caught you unawares.

Q: If the seller had expressed the payment terms more clearly (perhaps by stating it in the item description) - do you think you'd have still bid for the item after having more time to consider it?

Phil  :)

🙂

Well, regarding that question, that goes back to the thread title...

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:54, paul_c2 said:

As I understood it, this ISN'T the case - "winning" an eBay auction is NOT a contract to buy. Ie if you go to collect the item, you are not obliged to pay/take the item and you can't be sued for breach of contract or whatever if you decide on seeing it you don't want it, or pull out completely etc. Of course, eBay would like you to complete the transaction, and in 99% of cases where there is no further issue such as misdescribed, then it would plainly make sense to go through with it - after all you wanted it right? But that when it comes down to it, legally, there isn't the obligation to do it. 

Happy to be corrected (but please don't simply quote the eBay rules - of course they want you to....and their rules say so!)

Correct. 'winning' an eBay auction is not a contract to buy. eBay likes to imply it is, but it ain't. If you are entitled to change your mind about buying a new item from a retailer, you are certainly entitled to do so over something used you have bought privately. 

I think eBay are doing or have done something to facilitate viewings on collection items and will let you share contact details now, just don't remove the listing soon after or they'll try and charge you the fees anyway. That's what they tried with me, cheeky sods.

EDIT: Although when I used to sneak round the message system I used words for numbers - won, too, free, fore, fife etc.

Edited by lemmywinks

6 hours ago, clivem said:

Would you mind sharing how?

If you want to send your phone number or address,  write it on a piece of paper, photograph it, save as a .jpg, then send via messaging as an attachment.

If you want to be sent this info, ask the seller to do the above

4 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

EDIT: Although when I used to sneak round the message system I used words for numbers - won, too, free, fore, fife etc.

That also works, but rather than have to type all that out for any auction, just do it once, as in my post above.

I have included my mobile number in eBay listings on a number of occasions, most recently for the sale of a Gibson SG.

potential customers can then text or call regarding further info, and it might have resulted in a sale without fees a few times. 

I've done the include my mob number thing sometimes, hoping to trade outside flea-bay, either buying or selling, amazing how  many folk don't grasp it, and then when you push it through messages,  you get the restriction  thing as mentioned  earlier.   Usually  private sales, not shops/dealers who if you Google  them for a phone number will drop the price when you talk as its not through flea-bay anymore with fees.

9 hours ago, fleabag said:

If you want to send your phone number or address,  write it on a piece of paper, photograph it, save as a .jpg, then send via messaging as an attachment.

If you want to be sent this info, ask the seller to do the above

Cool. Thank you.

• Like 1