Guest MoJo

Mike Rutherford bassist or musician   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you see Mike Rutherford as :-

• A bass player who also plays guitar
    • A guitar player who also plays bass
    • A musician neither associated strongly with bass or guitar
    • Other

I have a friend who is a huge Genesis/Rutherford fan. He wonders why Mike Rutherford doesn’t appear as highly regarded in the bass playing community as say, Geddy Lee. My theory is that he is seen as a musician, in the broader sense, who plays bass and guitar. 

What do you guys think?

9 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Oh yes, he had/has a large selection of double necks to choose from!

image.png.c744fc1732f2c3d04a3321b9650cd81c.png

I always wanted one of those Shergolds. Although would be perfectly happy with a Ric twin neck. 😊

One of my biggest influences on bass and 12. I see him more as a songwriter who plays bass and guitar, which is kind of what I aspire to. He’s written some fantastic tracks. 

Some of his bass lines were rather "written by a guitarist" if you see what I mean. But that made them quirky and go places they otherwise wouldn't have done. Agreed that his bass-playing went downhill when he took over guitar duties from Steve Hackett. Anyway, still got my Shergold from when I used to do Genesis tribs, Moog Taurus just out of shot under right foot.

rev_tony3.jpg.105133b0b319604d1171a805f4900100.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

His bass parts certainly have a “made by guitarist” feel to them, so I went with guitarist who also plays bass. Regardless, what a great great great band...... 

I love his rhythm parts, but his lead.. not so much. Some nice bits, but he always sounds tentative to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I think Rutherford is underrated as a bass player because his parts are generally so musical and never in your face. Catch some of his playing on this from 1984.

That's pretty much what got me into the band ... that Slipperman section around 13 minutes in, wow

3 hours ago, HazBeen said:

His bass parts certainly have a “made by guitarist” feel to them, so I went with guitarist who also plays bass. Regardless, what a great great great band...... 

Well my understanding as a Genesis fan is that he became adept at bass a long time before guitar, so I'm not sure that's the correct way round. I always put him in the "melodic bassist" category, like Chris Squire, Jon Camp, Geddy, Macca et al, although he's probably not quite as in your face as Geddy and Chris. I learned to play bass long before guitar, but I always had a similar approach. Although as I was listening to a great deal of Genesis, Yes and Rush, and grew up with The Beatles, that's not entirely surprising. ;)

Check out The Lady Lies from And Then There Were Three for some tasty playing. Along with everything else of course!

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

Originally i thought of him mainly as a bassist but once i got more and more into Genesis i realised he was far more than a bassist. His writing with Genesis and Mike & the Mechanics is 2nd to none in my book. Met him a few times and he was a genuine nice guy to talk with.

Dave