Jodie Bass

Christmas Time Is Here - Bass Arrangement (Vince Guaraldi Trio)

Merry Xmas Basschatters!  Thought I'd share a quick arrangement of "Christmas Time Is Here" by Vince Guaraldi Trio, taken from the incredible "A Charlie Brown Christmas" album.  Always loved Guaraldi's contrast of sweet melodies against unusual harmonies so thought I'd have a go at transcribing a piece finally!

Have a great Xmas when it comes, all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I watch CBC every year. Love it. Due a watch tomorrow as it's Christmas Eve. I was playing around with the soundtrack last night. 

Vince Guaraldi was a genius. He was immensely proud of his Charlie Brown work and rightly so. He had a good voice as well....witness 'Little Birdie' and one of my favourites, the totally legendary 'Joe Cool'! 😎

1 hour ago, rollie 55 said:

excellent and a merry christmas to you

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

Great stuff...

👍

16 minutes ago, spongebob said:

Would love to see this tab'd or a how to video. I'd be really keen to play this! 😀

Thanks all!  Will do my best to knock out a transcription at some point @spongebob  :)

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Richard Jinman
      Up for sale is a G&L SB1 from the late 80s and its original hard case. If I sound a bit vague on the date it's because it seems quite hard to date these precisely. The serial number is B017393. The G&L registery dates a similar number to 1984, but Gareth (the BassChatter I bought this from) says late 80s and he clearly knows his stuff. I bought the bass earlier this year and I do love it, but my modest talent and budget don't support a multiple bass habit so I'd like to sell and replace it with a US jazz with a rosewood neck (if you fancy a trade please let me know). I simply feel more at home with a jazz neck and a jazz sound. When I bought the bass I gave it to a local tech here in Somerset for a full set up. He polished the frets etc and fitted it with Dunlop flats which it's still wearing. I paid £975 for it which, on reflection, might have been a bit punchy, but I'd fallen in love with it so what's a man to do? 
      You'll see from the pictures that it isn't in showroom condition as you might expect in a bass this age. It's got some good honest mojo from years of playing. There's a patch of buckle rash on the back, some dings on the edges of the body etc, but nothing that interferes with the gorgeous sound of the thing. The tech who set it up marvelled at how straight the neck was and it's the first instrument I've owned that made me understand what the term 'buttery' might mean. Something about it just feels right the moment you fret it. The electronics are simple - it has some rather cool radio knobs - but the sound (to my ears) is magnificent. The case looks like it has been through a few airports backwards - plenty of war wounds on the exterior, but the plush interior is in good condition. It's done its job in other words. 
      It's probably a superficial thing, but I also loved this bass because it doesn't have the rather weird (IMO) jagged headstock of the modern G&Ls. I guess that's down to individual taste, but it felt important to me. Anyway, someone will either be on the look out for one of these or they won't, so I'll leave it in the lap of the BassChat gods and if it doesn't sell or trade I'll go right back to loving her. Bass is in Babcary, Somerset and inspection is welcome of course. As it's in its flight case I'm happy to courier at buyer's risk (or we insure). Thanks for taking a look. 
      Been asked about weight. I only have access to bathroom scales, but using the Me plus bass minus Me approach it seems to weigh about 4kg. That's an approximate of course. It's certainly lighter than my BB1100s, but then most things are.

• By funkypenguin
      Hello folks!

Hope you're all well and staying healthy through all madness that has engulfed us all . I've just completed my first lockdown project which is a complete performance of Bach's first cello suite in G Major. The video series is now linked below and should take you to the Prelude and the playlist containing the other 5 movements! The soundcloud link is also below for those wishing for a somewhat better audio representation of the performance!

Its been a long process and a lot of practice prepping this. For those interested in the tech side of things my Warwick streamer LX6 was recorded (flat with passive tone rolled on a little) via DI box, Amp DI (Genz Streamliner 900) and from a mic on one of my vanderkley cabs via a focus rite interface into my computer. Declan Pearson of Colossus studios in Bolton then took care of final mixing and mastering  if you have a spare 20 minutes id appreciate your thoughts!

Hope you enjoy it!

Ben

• By gary mac
      A stunning example of Leo Fender’s G&L P bass.
      It’s a proper U.S. model built in 2016 at the Fullerton, California plant. Hang tag, warranty card, certificate, spec sheet etc is included.

Alder body.
      Finish is cherry burst.
      The three ply guard is more like the lovely old vintage looking tort.
      Saddle lock bridge.
      9.5 radius dark Rosewood fret board. Bone nut. Width at the nut is 1.5/8th”.
      Frets are medium/jumbo and all seated and finished perfectly.
      G&L Alnico pick up
      G&L ultralite tuners.
      Weight is 9lb 12oz.
      Original hard-shell, black tolex case, which looks almost as new.

This bass has not had a hard life, the first owner only used it at home, I’ve gigged it twice.
      Although I believe it left the factory,  with round wound strings, the previous owner fitted a set of flats, so there is no fret wear.
      Condition is near perfect, with just a little swirling/signs of use to the pick guard.

Lovely tight, neck pocket and with six securing screws, the neck/body joint is rock solid.
      I love this bass, it’s comfortable to play seated or standing, looks amazing and sounds great in a band setting.
      My reason for selling? Well a near miss last night, on a crowded stage, when our drummer knocked over a heavy cymbal stand, made me rethink gigging with a pristine instrument like this. I’m going to use my old G&L and a P bass that I built for myself, both of which sport war wounds and genuine road wear.
      Hopefully the photos will give a good indication of the condition. Anything that looks like a blemish or damage to the body finish, is purely down to my photography.

Price is £950.
      I’m in Hoddesdon, Herts. Would really prefer collection but we can discuss shipping if necessary.  

• By badastronaut
      For sale is this G&L L5000. This serie was the last serie Leo Fender worked on (design that is ofcourse). Only around 400 L5000 basses were ever produced and a handfull of them them were fretless.

This 1992 L5000 is in extremely good condition, only a few slight dents (but you really have to search). It comes with the original case. Plays like a dream and with the current d'addario tapewounds it sings with loads of mwahhh. I'm asking 699 GBP.

The bass is located in the Netherlands but safe shipping is ofcourse possible.

I've added a really short video as an example of how the bass sounds. Listening with headphones adviced. I played some low and some high melodic stuff. Not the best video quality but it's better than nothing I guess.

• By dub_junkie
      Selling one of my two Tribute JB-2 basses, this one is a 2008 build in excellent condition with a nice comfy Jazz bass profile maple neck, Alnico J single coils pickups and G&L saddle lock bridge. No playing, mechanical, structural or electronics issues with the bass at all.
      A previous owner fitted a tug bar on the treble side and the bass is now fitted with flat wound strings (can put roundwound back on if preferred) Nice and light in weight
      **SOLD**
       Buyer can arrange their own courier or I will get prices for shipping