Left leaderboard
gareth

Tom Waits

I watched this Coen Brothers movie on Netflix recently

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6412452/

Reminded me I hadn't listened to Tom Waits recently.

Been catching up this afternoon

Its his ballads that get to me, so much emotion - and where would music be without emotion?

Id put these all on one cd and great listening to them again, like old friends. 

Edited by gareth
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

An icon 

I seem to remember his voice variously described as though "a family of bucolic tramps had lived in his throat for a year", and  "like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car."

much of his musical persona is put on, as an actor would, but like you say gareth; so much raw emotion there

Edited by Shaggy
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing the link, I'm gonna enjoy watching this 🙂

Not a big fan of his vocals TBH, but he's an amazing song writer, and I love his songs performed by other singers. In an old Americana-type ban, we used to do Chocolate Jesus, and my favourite Temptation in the style of Diana Krall - with Tom's beautiful poetic lyrics.

Rusted brandy in a diamond glass
Everything is made from dreams
Time is made from honey slow and sweet
Only the fools know what it means
Temptation
Temptation
Temptation
I can't resist
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, petebassist said:

Thanks for sharing the link, I'm gonna enjoy watching this 🙂

Not a big fan of his vocals TBH, but he's an amazing song writer, and I love his songs performed by other singers. In an old Americana-type ban, we used to do Chocolate Jesus, and my favourite Temptation in the style of Diana Krall - with Tom's beautiful poetic lyrics.

Rusted brandy in a diamond glass
Everything is made from dreams
Time is made from honey slow and sweet
Only the fools know what it means
Temptation
Temptation
Temptation
I can't resist

Hope you enjoy it, especially the story with Tom

I watched this last week. Excellent. The first story had me roaring laughing. The whole thing was the Coen Brothers on top form.

Tom Waits’  performance was stellar .  

His Ballads  just leave me in tears. Martha, Beautiful When you Dream, One Last Look, the list goes on and on.

• Thanks 1

An incredible song writer, an incredible voice, an incredible story teller, an incredible recording artist and an incredible live performer. 

One of the finest we will ever experience IMHO. 

Will check that out on Netflix.  Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by gs_triumph

There is another thread on here on upright bass playing which prompted me to listen to his early stuff which has been a revelation. When did he adopt the "gravel tone", which is what I associate him with?

Het seems like a really funny and clever person, great character! I just haven't been able to find a single piece of his music that is interesting to me, can't stand the boring stuff!

What a man. Bone Machine is a big favourite of mine. This thread has just decided my Xmas Eve post-cooking afternoon film, Down by Law....

Edited by Frank Blank
Italics
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just downloaded Nighthawks At The Diner because of this thread. Currently enjoying Eggs And Sausage In A Cadillac With Susan  Michelson.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, upside downer said:

Love this. Great bassline, too.

I love the album 'Small Change'. 

In fact I love all the stuff he recorded in the 70s.

It has that Beat Poet kind of vibe.

I like that he is just honest to himself, he can look back and see an anthology of his life in music, I like the primitive feel of his use of the blues, the right medium to get his lyrics and story across, almost Blue note jazz feel to some, not commercial even when this was recorded but relevant to his experiences at the time.  

7 hours ago, deepbass5 said:

For those who will forget to look him up

I do love putting this on the jukebox in various pubs and clubs - you can imagine some of the reactions and comments! :laugh1:

One of the all time greats for blurring the line between artist and art in a way that barely anyone else has approached. I have a collection of his interviews and/or people being interviewed about working with him which is about the closest thing to an autobiography we'll get from him and it's well worth a read. 

My particular favourite anecdote was from a film director who had approached him about a part in a movie - I want to say Jim Jarmusch for Coffee and Cigarettes but can't quite remember. He's trying to arrange a meeting but only has a day in the area, so he can't do an evening like Tom wants; eventually after a lot of back and forth with his agent he gets told to come to Tom's house in the morning. On the day he turns up nice and early at this little bungalow in a perfectly normal California suburb, and he gets let inside and shown down the corridor to this closed door at the end. Behind the door is an almost empty room with all the blinds closed and paper over the windows so no light can get in from outside - Tom is huddled up on a single wooden chair in the middle of the floor wearing sunglasses and his hat pulled down over his eyes alone in this dark room at 9AM, and he looks up at Jim for a second and then exasperatedly gestures at the blocked out window and he growls: "Tell me, does it stay like this for long?" 

Edited by borntohang
  • Like 1

I remember hearing an interview on the radio once in which, when asked where his ideas came from, he replied “God gives them to me for free and then I sell them to you”.

• Like 1

And this from The Ghost of Saturday Night...

As he dreams of a waitress with Maxwell House eyes, marmalade thighs and scrambled yellow hair

Sublime!

Edited by skb558

A friend introduced me via a compilation tape.

Side A's label said 'Tom Waits'

On side B 'Tom's still waiting'

Still makes me smile.