Why become a member? ×

Pre EB Stingray 78/79 Sold please lock
£1750

PRE EB BASSIST

Available for £1290 shipped within the U.K. 

Beautiful ‘78/‘79 Olympic white, Pre EB Stingray. 

This bass when I purchased it in the states was in a real shambles, all original with the exception of two additional holes in the neck plate (?) and it had been totally abused in terms of aesthetics, so had her professionally refinished in classic Olympic white by Eugene McLaughlin in Dublin and had a new rosewood fretboard and era corrrct frets installed by Luthier Tony Thompson with a full set up. 

Neck plays like a dream, really fast with fully functional truss rod.

Black epoxy pre-amp, so that great original MM tone and growl, all working as it should. 

Olympic White finish is faultless and she looks stunning with the rosewood board.

Serial number on the neck plate, original Patent pending stamp on the string through body bridge. Mute pads are original and show signs of same. 

Sale only please, price incl. U.K. shipping. 

Any further questions, please drop me PM

Edited by PRE EB BASSIST
Price drop
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think that for many people who would buy this kind of bass...it's the experience of everything the bass has been through that's part of the appeal. A refinish and a new fretboard take that away. 

It's not the same thing i know...but I've had a life long love affair with old VWs and given a choice between a 65 beetle with a new interior and new paint against a 65 in OG paint with all it's life on show...it's always gonna be OG. My gut feeling is that it may be the same kinda thing here.

It's a personal thing y'know.

Edited by Bobby D
  • Like 1

On 24/01/2019 at 21:41, Bobby D said:

I think that for many people who would buy this kind of bass...it's the experience of everything the bass has been through that's part of the appeal. A refinish and a new fretboard take that away. 

It's not the same thing i know...but I've had a life long love affair with old VWs and given a choice between a 65 beetle with a new interior and new paint against a 65 in OG paint with all it's life on show...it's always gonna be OG. My gut feeling is that it may be the same kinda thing here.

It's a personal thing y'know.

Ah, maybe your right, but if you’d seen how bad this bass was, it really needed some TLC. Think of your VW beetle, riddled with rust and a botched repair job 😱

I’ll give it another week here and if there’s no further interest I’ll withdraw her and use it live and in the studio as it plays and sounds superb.

On 24/01/2019 at 22:00, PRE EB BASSIST said:

I see same era/colour basses for sale on another site, is my pricing wrong? 

https://rvrb.io/1979-stingray-bass-em3

https://rvrb.io/1979-stingray-bass-gbt

That prices on the links are relatively high especially with respect to the conditions of the basses. In italy a good condition 1978 stingray all original is sold for 2200-2400 euros. Modifications on vintage basses can affect seriously the value. 

Well, your bass looks really nice, but as the body has been refinished and the neck with a new fretboard is not original anymore, this has serious effect on the value of your instrument.

It will never be a collectors item, but just a nice player.

And I agree, the prices on the links you added are very high, especially the second one will never sell for that. 🙂

Edited by maut