Why become a member? ×

Patch cables. What do you use ?

danny-79

Just a random post to ask/see what patch cables you use and why you chose them ? 

I’m using the Daddario solderless kit. (I’m after a couple of ft of cable if anyone has any spare they are willing to part with) but I’ve been looking at making my own, pancake jacks with Van Damme cable

solderless vs soldier do you notice any audible difference? 

George Ls solderless. I also use a long one to connect my pedal board to the amp.

EDIT: Re tone. If this system is good enough for the tone hound that is Eric Johnson, it’s good enough for me. I’ve done side by side aural tests with other long leads, including monster and I prefer the George Ls. I’ve been using them for over 20 years.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

I've used George L's for years. I've had them for so long I can't remember why I switched, but recently a guitarist friend of mine used a cheap "6 for £10" patch cable to jumper channels on his amp and everything went dark. 

I leant him a George L one I had spare and hey presto, great tone returns. 

Solderless cables of this calibre are an absolute MUST if your pedals are mounted on a board and there's minimal movement between the pedals.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2018 at 11:03, danny-79 said:

Just a random post to ask/see what patch cables you use and why you chose them ? 

I’m using the Daddario solderless kit. (I’m after a couple of ft of cable if anyone has any spare they are willing to part with) but I’ve been looking at making my own, pancake jacks with Van Damme cable

solderless vs soldier do you notice any audible difference? 

I may be able to sort you out with some spare D'addario cable if I can find it all out. I switched to George L's and no longer need it.

• Thanks 1

On 29/12/2018 at 13:49, danny-79 said:

Just got around to watching this. Nice one thank you 

Could you provide a summary? I hate to sound like a modern-day moron, but I don't have 35 minutes. I can actually focus for that long, but I will not have that much uninterrupted time for a while!

4 minutes ago, JimBobTTD said:

Could you provide a summary? I hate to sound like a modern-day moron, but I don't have 35 minutes. I can actually focus for that long, but I will not have that much uninterrupted time for a while!

There was/is no perfect cable. Everything is a trade off, bigger plugs better insulation, less room on board etc etc 

A couple of screen shots of the summing up at the end 

2FCBA494-BA7B-4F4E-AC38-DA4AFB043859.jpeg

B126620D-4381-4C64-9AD0-553BF2D10BC9.jpeg

11 minutes ago, danny-79 said:

Right at the start he listed a load of companies that he approached who for what ever reason were unwilling to participate in the test MXR was one 

Aha...they would explain it. 

I can’t blame them. I was asked a million times in my last job to provide test access for people doing comparisons, quality checks etc etc. Most were not really serious about it.