Why become a member? ×

Cheap cabs alert

Mudpup

I used that set up at the gig on Saturday. First time since owning the Rumble that I have actually felt the bass on stage. Don't get me wrong,you can certainly hear the Rumble 500,in fact I get told to turn down all the time! Just can't seem to find the sound that suits me. Adding the Warefdale cab made a differance,but I still have to fiddle about with the tone on the Fender a bit,it was a bit.....errm,bassy!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, theplumber said:

I used that set up at the gig on Saturday. First time since owning the Rumble that I have actually felt the bass on stage. Don't get me wrong,you can certainly hear the Rumble 500,in fact I get told to turn down all the time! Just can't seem to find the sound that suits me. Adding the Warefdale cab made a differance,but I still have to fiddle about with the tone on the Fender a bit,it was a bit.....errm,bassy!!

I was the same when I had a Rumble, couldn't get the sound I wanted, not something that's easy to put into words but I thought it was a bit thin sounding when in a band setting, doesn't cut through somehow

• Like 1

I have not had seperates for years,after a long lay off of about 20 years,I got back in to playing,buying a 1 x 15 Trace Elliot combo. Big sound,300 watts,used it at jam nights and gigs. Too bloody heavy,but what a sound. Moved it on bought the TC Electronic combo,1 x 15,again good sound,in fact there is one in the pub we rehearse,and I like the sound of that.But I have tried for 2 years with the Fender Rumble,venues large and small,never really getting the sound I want. It tends to be over loud without depth. Very,very loud!! When adding the cab,it totally changed the sound,with all the eq set flat,ie in the middle. But an issue with the PA and sound,ment I had no time the other night to do anything about my sound. Another gig this weekend,which will tell me which way I need to go.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, theplumber said:

I have not had seperates for years,after a long lay off of about 20 years,I got back in to playing,buying a 1 x 15 Trace Elliot combo. Big sound,300 watts,used it at jam nights and gigs. Too bloody heavy,but what a sound. Moved it on bought the TC Electronic combo,1 x 15,again good sound,in fact there is one in the pub we rehearse,and I like the sound of that.But I have tried for 2 years with the Fender Rumble,venues large and small,never really getting the sound I want. It tends to be over loud without depth. Very,very loud!! When adding the cab,it totally changed the sound,with all the eq set flat,ie in the middle. But an issue with the PA and sound,ment I had no time the other night to do anything about my sound. Another gig this weekend,which will tell me which way I need to go.

Might be worth getting shut of the rumble and buying a separate head to go with the cab. I'm currently waiting for my new Veyron to turn up. Cent wait to try it with the Wharfdale stack. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Might be worth getting shut of the rumble and buying a separate head to go with the cab. I'm currently waiting for my new Veyron to turn up. Cent wait to try it with the Wharfdale stack. 

That's my plan now. With the cheap cabs and the veyron amp,I can give it a shot,then sell the Rumble. Great wee amp,sadly,not for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theplumber said:

That's my plan now. With the cheap cabs and the veyron amp,I can give it a shot,then sell the Rumble. Great wee amp,sadly,not for me.

I don't know if anyone has the Veyron in stock currently. Thomann has a 2-3 week wait on the Mosfet version and 6 weeks plus on the tube version. 

In the meantime I'll be happy to report back on how it all sounds when mine finally turns up. It should hopefully be here by the weekend at the latest. 

• Like 1

Well the Veyron finally arrived and I've just given it a blast through the Wharfdale cabs and........ Oh my God it sounds good! The Veyron is superb, it can give you pretty much any (clean) sound you're looking for and the power of the thing is unbelievable. It seems to be a pretty good match with the Wharfdales as they're also very clean and neutral sounding, and leave plenty of room to shape your tone with the amp, guitar and effects. It's an absolute monster rig in both tone and volume, and for a total cost of £425 brand new! That's just ridiculous value! I'm one extremely happy bunny. 

IMG_20190118_172543_000.jpg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Well the Veyron finally arrived and I've just given it a blast through the Wharfdale cabs and........ Oh my God it sounds good! The Veyron is superb, it can give you pretty much any (clean) sound you're looking for and the power of the thing is unbelievable. It seems to be a pretty good match with the Wharfdales as they're also very clean and neutral sounding, and leave plenty of room to shape your tone with the amp, guitar and effects. It's an absolute monster rig in both tone and volume, and for a total cost of £425 brand new! That's just ridiculous value! I'm one extremely happy bunny.

Looks brilliant that.  I'm jealous of you having the 2x10 as well as the 1x15.  I bet it sounds really good.  No way could I justify the extra £120 quid though as I'd never be bothered carrying 2 cabs and a separate amp to gigs, never mind practice!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Unknown_User said:

Looks brilliant that.  I'm jealous of you having the 2x10 as well as the 1x15.  I bet it sounds really good.  No way could I justify the extra £120 quid though as I'd never be bothered carrying 2 cabs and a separate amp to gigs, never mind practice!

Luckily practice is at my place so I only have to move everything when we eventually start gigging. Although we're not planning on being out every weekend anyway. We're more of a birthday, beer and barbecue band. What's worse is my wife is the singer in the band so we've got to PA to shift as well. 😏

• Like 1

On 16/01/2019 at 22:57, Newfoundfreedom said:

I don't know if anyone has the Veyron in stock currently. Thomann has a 2-3 week wait on the Mosfet version and 6 weeks plus on the tube version. 

In the meantime I'll be happy to report back on how it all sounds when mine finally turns up. It should hopefully be here by the weekend at the latest. 

2 x 10 now ordered. 

• Haha 1

On 18/01/2019 at 18:03, Newfoundfreedom said:

Ha ha. Good man! You know it makes sense. 😉

It's arriving tomorrow,used the 1x 15 with the Fender Rumble last night,the whole set up sounded ace. Managed to get the time to mess around with settings,so it worked a lot better. Still going to sell the Fender though.

• Like 1

I've had

3 hours ago, theplumber said:

It's arriving tomorrow,used the 1x 15 with the Fender Rumble last night,the whole set up sounded ace. Managed to get the time to mess around with settings,so it worked a lot better. Still going to sell the Fender though.

I've had a proper chance to play around with the Veyron today thorough the cabs and for probably the first time ever I'm totally happy with my sound. It just sounds epic! 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, la bam said:

These look to have been re labelled now by PMT to Albion?

Steve Grindrod created Albion, they have been around for quite some time. The Wharfdale stuff is a partnership between Wharfdale (who provided the speakers) and Albion (for the cabs design and combo amps) to mass produce what was essentially a boutique amp / cab. 

• Like 1

Well,practise over. It worked out well! Everyone in the band noticed the difference. The guitarist loved the new amp smell coming off it! Well at least it wasn't smoke! Big difference over the Fender Rumble. Plenty of lows and highs. I went for  mid settings on the the amp,had the compresser on and the high/treble on. Very well balanced tone,could hear every note I played. I better brush up on the set! Looking forward to gigging it over the next few weeks.

• Like 1