Why become a member? ×

Cheap cabs alert

Mudpup

45 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Cabinet is way too heavy with 18mm MDF but very well constructed

If you think that's overboard Phil,  spare a lumbar though for a Peavey BVX 1x15 cab i used to have.  Something in the region of 22mm and big size, even for a 1x15

I couldnt even give it away. It's in the public recycling depot now

56 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Having said earlier in this thread that my Wharfedale PA speakers had been faultless to date the inevitable happened and a speaker went down. To be fair it is almost twenty years old and blew when someone else borrowed it. However I took it apart and was very impressed with the construction. Cabinet is way too heavy with 18mm MDF but very well constructed, the amp is nicely made and very well over specified with 10 output transistors. The blown driver is nicely made too with a substantial ceramic magnet and a nicely made deep double roll surround. Best news of all is that although this particular speaker has been discontinued for several years Wharfedale still carry spares which are reasonably priced (cheaper than an Eminence or Fane equivalent) and available by return of post. That's great service in my book from an old UK firm (IAG who are Quad, Wharfedale, Audiolab)

If this is their aftersales then I don't think the company is one to worry about

My mental image was of some old 70s cab... then I realised that “almost 20 years old” could be from this millennium. 😶

• Like 1

The cab itself is pretty decent,but at certain gigs I could do with a bit more bottom end. It's a loud enough wee cab and the band do a mixture of small to medium sized venues,with the bigger ones either using venue PA and bass gear or DI the combo through PA.

8 minutes ago, theplumber said:

The cab itself is pretty decent,but at certain gigs I could do with a bit more bottom end. It's a loud enough wee cab and the band do a mixture of small to medium sized venues,with the bigger ones either using venue PA and bass gear or DI the combo through PA.

Bloody hell has it arrived already? 

That was quick! You only ordered it 13 minutes ago. 😂

• Haha 1

I used the cabs at practice today and they performed absolutely superbly. Really clear, clean and punchy, no problems cutting through in the mix. They move a massive amount of air compared to my old single 2x10 cab, and they have loads of headroom to spare. 

All in all I'm well pleased with them. I can't wait for my new Veyron head to arrive now and I'll have a really great budget friendly rig. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I used the cabs at practice today and they performed absolutely superbly. Really clear, clean and punchy, no problems cutting through in the mix. They move a massive amount of air compared to my old single 2x10 cab, and they have loads of headroom to spare. 

All in all I'm well pleased with them. I can't wait for my new Veyron head to arrive now and I'll have a really great budget friendly rig. 

Good stuff.  If I could in any way have justified it I would have really liked to get the 210 to go with the 115.  Mind you I had practice last night and there's no way I'd be carrying two cabs up and down the stairs.  It'd mean four trips with the head and my guitar.  For smaller gigs I might stick to using my old combo to cut down on lugging gear.

The Orange amp and Wharfedale cab sounded great turned up.  Much clearer sound with a thicker low end and more rounded highs.  The rest of the band said it sounded good.  "Boomier" was the word used.  I thought it sounded clear as a bell but still a really smooth sound.  If the build quality is good and the thing lasts then I'll be made up with it for a bargain price.

• Like 1

Well folks,

I scratched the itch and I'm now the proud owner of a "proper" bass amp. As per advice on here I ordered the 300 head with the 210 cab, and then a few days after putting that in I was in PMT and decided that the 1x15 sounded so much different that I had that too.

Bear in mind I've never even had anything bigger than a 1x8 15w combo before- so I thought s0d it, whilst everything is on sale I'll get the lot and I can experiment and try different things! I can personify some of the conversations i've read on here :) 

The 300 is fine through the 210 at bedroom volumes- no matter what type of pickup is used, but through the 1x15 vibrates the room on anything more powerful than a j-bass pickup!

I'm not so concerned about resale values- I bought this because I thought it was time I bought a jam-able amp, hopefully the head will see me right for many years and I'll be able to source a more portable cab should I ever need it, and the cabs can stay where they are. More importantly, I now understand the sound differences between a 210 and 115 cab for starters.

Happy days, and thanks again to those who advised me early in the thread and all others who have contributed. Keep the thoughts coming, I'm interested to hear what more experienced players think of them.

Cheers! :) 

• Like 4

Didn't move quick enough and lost out on the speaker/amp deal. Hopefully they will get the orange amp back in at that price. Just waiting on my 1 x15 to be delivered,it's on the van!!. I have a Fender Rumble 500 combo. Even without an extension speaker,it's pretty loud! That seems to be the trouble. I struggle at times to get a proper bass tone. It always seems to lack depth. Trying out the 1 x 15 to see if it makes a differance. After reading about folk getting hold of the 2 x10 cab and amp has made me want to try something different,so if it works out,I may get rid of the combo,buy an amp and the seperates,maybe upgrading to better speakers at some point. We'll see!!

It's here and hooked up to my Fender Rumble 500.Even comes with a short jack to jack lead. Sounds loud and clear. Plenty of depth, but that's the cab now putting out 500 Watts with the extension speaker. Will try it out this weekend, but I think I will get hold of the 2 x 10 cab and start looking at bass heads. Decent finish on cab, as others have said. I might remove the rubber feet and place them on the side of cab whilst I use with the Fender. 

DSC_0763.JPG

DSC_0764.JPG

• Like 2

It's here and hooked up to my Fender Rumble 500.Even comes with a short jack to jack lead. Sounds loud and clear. Plenty of depth, but that's the cab now putting out 500 Watts with the extension speaker. Will try it out this weekend, but I think I will get hold of the 2 x 10 cab and start looking at bass heads. Decent finish on cab, as others have said. I might remove the rubber feet and place them on the side of cab whilst I use with the Fender. 

On 08/01/2019 at 15:57, Newfoundfreedom said:

My cabs finally turned up today. So here's a bit of a review as promised, for anyone who's interested. 

Firstly the weight. Ok to be fair they're not lightweight cabs. But they're certainly not massively heavy either. Certainly much lighter than my current Bugera 2x10. The 2x10 is listed at around 23kg and I'd say that's probably about right. Surprisingly the 1x15 is noticeably lighter. 

Build quality wise they appear to be extremely well made and absolutely rock solid. If have no qualms about throwing them in the car and gigging them. 

Feature wise. They only have a single connector on the back, so no option to daisy chain the cabs. Not a problem for me as I have 2 outputs on the amp but it could be an issue for some. The connector is a dual purpose speakon / jack lead connector though so at least it gives you the option to use either kind of lead. The handles are pretty good, functional, solid and look smart enough. They're also flat and slightly recessed so it gives you the option to use or stack them sideways which is nice. The 2x10 has a built in horn which is angled upwards so it's directed towards the player. I'm not sure if this is genuinely a "feature" or just a gimmick but it seems to make sense. There is no switch or volume control for the horn so it's always on which is a bit annoying, having said that it puts out a pretty balanced sound so as not to be intrusive. In fact it's barely perceivable, but this could be a lot to do with amp setup as I tend to roll the top end down anyway. Maybe it would be more noticeable to people who like a trebly sound or play slap. 

Looks wise. Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I genuinely think they look really good. They look a lot better "in the flesh" than in the pictures or YouTube videos I've seen. The Tolex is well fixed and looks fairly robust, not the paper thin stuff you get on some budget gear. The metal grills are well finished and really solid. The logo's look quite nice and are more golden than they look in pictures. The whole rig, 1x15 and 2x10, is actually reasonably compact, certainly not 80's half stack or full on fridge sized. So no problems on a modest stage. 

Sound. Well it's early days and I haven't had much chance to play through them yet, but first impressions is they're quite neutral. Maybe what you would expect from a company more known for making hi-fi and PA speakers. It suits me as I'm happy to let the amp, bass and effects pedals create the tone, but probably not for someone looking for a particular sound. The drivers appear to be extremely well built. I turned my 300w head up full and gave it the beans and the cabs never even broke a sweat, but the house windows nearly fell out, so I'm pretty confident they'll be fine for any gig I'm likely to throw at them. 

Value for money. I'm very happy with them and I'd say they're an absolute steal for the price they were being sold. Fair enough they will probably have less second hand value than an empty bean can, but that was never the reason I bought them. Even then, at the price I paid I could use them as firewood in a couple of years and who cares? 

IMG_20190108_165710_597.jpg

IMG_20190108_165710_596.jpg

Ref: daisy chaining with single connector; i think i asked this some time ago and unless i am high i’m sure the masterful @obbm has a cable to facilitate just that.

9 minutes ago, missis sumner said:

God, I wish I hadn't seen this...

Is it worth the £99?  How heavy is it in comparison to the Rumble?

I can't compare it to the rumble but they're not mega heavy. I'd estimate about 20kg. The 2x10 is listed at 23kg and the 1x15 feels lighter to me. 

Anderton's still have a few in stock. 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/wharfedale/wharfedale-whb115-1-x-15-300w-ported-bass-cab

5 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

What about putting the Wharfedale badge in the top left corner?  Or am I over-thinking this?!

I was actually going to move mine or de-badge it altogether, but there is an uncut metal plate on the grill under the badge the same shape so it would look a bit naff. I actually flipped the grill over on mine to match my initials "MW". Not sure if I'll keep it like that but I just wanted to see what it would look like. 

IMG_20190110_190412_509.jpg

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

Ref: daisy chaining with single connector; i think i asked this some time ago and unless i am high i’m sure the masterful @obbm has a cable to facilitate just that.

Yeah I'm sure you're probably right. I wouldn't be at all surprised that such a cable exists. I only meant that you couldn't daisy chain them in the standard way as you would with a double cab connection. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I was actually going to move mine or de-badge it altogether, but there is an uncut metal plate on the grill under the badge the same shape so it would look a bit naff. I actually flipped the grill over on mine to match my initials "MW". Not sure if I'll keep it like that but I just wanted to see what it would look like. 

IMG_20190110_190412_509.jpg

I might change my name. :D

• Haha 1