Why become a member? ×

New old guy

Marc Day

Hi All,

Just signed up and this is my first post. I've played for years, but have been out of the loop for a while and am just getting back to playing again. I'm hoping some of you can give me some help and advice to get me up to speed again regarding gear. Hope you like my little bass collection BTW, more about them later. First I have a question about amps.

Right now I use a Trace MP11 digital pre-amp through an ART effects processor and a Trace RA 250 power amp into a Hartke 4 x 10 cab. Yeah stone age I know, but I love the sound. The only thing I want to change is the power amp, because of size and weight. Everything seems to have gone pocket sized these days and I'm struggling to find a single, unit rack mounted power amp to replace it with without spending a fortune. Suggestions anyone?

On to the guitars. I bought my Wal custom (used) back in the mid 90's and thought it a bit pricey at £1500, but I had to have it  (there was no choice). As I'm getting into playing again I thought I should find out what it and the others are worth for insurance purposes. I looked around and eventually spoke to the nice people at Wal. Since they are not that common, they suggested the best option would be to insure for the price of a new replacement. I won't say much how much that is, but it may well be worth more than my house!

The Stingray was easy enough to value. The third is another matter altogether. It was made for me in the mid 80's by Doug Binskin, who lived near me here in Kent. I hope not, but I think he may have passed now. Doug's guitars generally had his Erskine logo on the head, but for some reason it didn't go onto mine.

Obviously, being custom and a complete one off, it will be hard to value and impossible to replace. Maybe someone could give me an idea of what it might cost to have something similar made to the same spec, which is:  Single piece American walnut body, birds eye maple neck, ebony fingerboard, Schaller machines, Seymour Duncan pickups and Schecter bridge.

Sorry for the essay guys. I'll try to be more brief in future and I'd value any good advice or opinions about any of this stuff.

All the best. Marc.

IMG_1404.thumb.JPG.f3272c76c927f723d994ab012d9e1bba.JPGIMG_1417.thumb.JPG.5fe7e675b3dfd2f80d20e0c60c967cc0.JPGIMG_1425.thumb.JPG.faf86f20a626b6942754e1378ed82a4a.JPG  made to the same spec, which is:  .

• Like 1

Good morning, Marc , and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.
We don't do valuations on this forum (they become too close to disguised 'For Sale' ads, so we refuse 'em all, sorry...). Maybe get a quote for a similar 'spec' from your local luthier..?
Hope this helps. B|

Welcome Marc

Nice basses, nice Trace Elliot (which I wouldn't change). Many Class D owners are finding their way back to "traditional" amps like Trace Elliot, Ashdown and Ampeg. Personally I'd look at a new lightweight cab - Vanderkley/ Barefaced - and stick with what you have...

• Like 1

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments and glad you like my basses. I'm pleased that most of you think I should stick with the old MP11, not that I would change it anyway. As I mentioned in my first post, what I do want to change (hopefully without changing my sound too much) is my old RA200 my power amp,which is just too big and heavy. Not easy for me having been out of things for a few years and I'm not sure what's available or what to go for. I've shopped around a bit and most dealers I've spoken to seem more interested in trying to flog me a whole new rig than helping me to find what I'm after. Again, any suggestions would be welcome.

Marc.

40 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Welcome Marc.

As Douglas mentioned, valuations are best sought elsewhere.  You will however find a lot of pointers here to help you make a more educated guess than you might otherwise.

Being new to the site, there were a few things I wasn't aware of, but I did note what Douglas said and we've spoken since. He now understands that I have no plans to sell any of my basses and was simply trying to get an idea of values to ensure them, which I've now done. I'm thinking I should have been a bit clearer about that in the post.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I like the blue one. 👍

Hi Ricky,

Thanks, I like it too. Even though I was told it was green before I saw it, my first impression was blue. I almost didn't bother going to look at it because of that, but I'm glad I did now. According to Music Man it's actually called teal green. I had a look around recently and apparently it was one of a few custom colours they did to order, but is now unavailable. I don't know if it's all that rare, but it would be kind of cool if it is.

Marc

6 minutes ago, Marc Day said:

Hi Ricky,

Thanks, I like it too. Even though I was told it was green before I saw it, my first impression was blue. I almost didn't bother going to look at it because of that, but I'm glad I did now. According to Music Man it's actually called teal green. I had a look around recently and apparently it was one of a few custom colours they did to order, but is now unavailable. I don't know if it's all that rare, but it would be kind of cool if it is.

Marc

Hi Marc,

Ahh yes, "Teal". A bluey green, rather than a greeny blue. 👍

I do fancy a Stingray, and there's one for sale via eBay in my home town!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ernie-Ball-Musicman-Stingray-Classic-Limited-Edition-Powder-Blue/332795478606?hash=item4d7c28024e:g:SZYAAOSwxn1bkSZA

I don't know if it's a great model / version - but it's been there for weeks, just teasing me! 😁

36 minutes ago, Marc Day said:

Hi Ricky,

Marc

That's pretty similar to mine. I wasn't aware it was a custom colour - I just liked it!

On 24/12/2018 at 23:33, Ricky 4000 said:

Hi Marc,

Ahh yes, "Teal". A bluey green, rather than a greeny blue. 👍

I do fancy a Stingray, and there's one for sale via eBay in my home town!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ernie-Ball-Musicman-Stingray-Classic-Limited-Edition-Powder-Blue/332795478606?hash=item4d7c28024e:g:SZYAAOSwxn1bkSZA

I don't know if it's a great model / version - but it's been there for weeks, just teasing me! 😁

Hi Ricky,

Had a look at that link and it looks nice and probably worth looking at if it's close to you. It could be because of the limited edition thing, but my only worry (assuming it's in good shape) would be the price. It could be why it's been there for a while, so I'd look into that. I can't help much about the model either. It may sound strange, but I don't even know which model mine is. I paid £750 (used) for mine about 5 years ago, which I thought was a good price. It was immaculate, looked and sounded great and was lovely to play, which was the clincher, so I didn't give it much thought at the time, but I have no regrets about buying it. 

As you can see, I'm no Stingray expert and can only speak as I find based on mine. You could pay a bit more for custom this or limited that, but I doubt it would play or sound much better than a bog standard one. My advice would be, if there's one about in good shape for the right price, check it out. You'll probably like it. I know I did. BTW what are you playing now?

Marc.

On 26/12/2018 at 02:34, Marc Day said:

Hi Ricky,

Had a look at that link and it looks nice and probably worth looking at if it's close to you. It could be because of the limited edition thing, but my only worry (assuming it's in good shape) would be the price. It could be why it's been there for a while, so I'd look into that. I can't help much about the model either. It may sound strange, but I don't even know which model mine is. I paid £750 (used) for mine about 5 years ago, which I thought was a good price. It was immaculate, looked and sounded great and was lovely to play, which was the clincher, so I didn't give it much thought at the time, but I have no regrets about buying it. 

As you can see, I'm no Stingray expert and can only speak as I find based on mine. You could pay a bit more for custom this or limited that, but I doubt it would play or sound much better than a bog standard one. My advice would be, if there's one about in good shape for the right price, check it out. You'll probably like it. I know I did. BTW what are you playing now?

Marc.

Thanks for your reply, Marc. 👍

Yes, I think if I'm going to become serious about getting a Stingray, more research is necessary! It's just the locality of that particular example is tempting me... but although I'd like to contact the seller to check it out, I don't want to end up buying the thing just because it's close to home - if it's not the best choice for me... and of course, I wouldn't want to pay over the odds either... 

Presently, there's my old (1973) Rickenbacker (which feels like it's become more of an antique than a modern player*).

Then recently, I bought a Westfield P bass for £60. that I'm ridiculously happy with. I just can't stop playing / fiddling about with it*.

Most recently I bought a fabulous miniture short scale J bass* from a superb chap and member on here - for no other real reason other than he had one and I didn't. :facepalm:

Now I feel I need:

J basses - A cheap one, and an expensive one*.

An expensive P bass*.

A Stingray*.

Oh, and a Warwick*.

* This is all since I've been "active" on Basschat. I was quite sane before that. 😁

13 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Thanks for your reply, Marc. 👍

Yes, I think if I'm going to become serious about getting a Stingray, more research is necessary! It's just the locality of that particular example is tempting me... but although I'd like to contact the seller to check it out, I don't want to end up buying the thing just because it's close to home - if it's not the best choice for me... and of course, I wouldn't want to pay over the odds either... 

Presently, there's my old (1973) Rickenbacker (which feels like it's become more of an antique than a modern player*).

Then recently, I bought a Westfield P bass for £60. that I'm ridiculously happy with. I just can't stop playing / fiddling about with it*.

Most recently I bought a fabulous miniture short scale J bass* from a superb chap and member on here - for no other real reason other than he had one and I didn't. :facepalm:

Now I feel I need:

J basses - A cheap one, and an expensive one*.

An expensive P bass*.

A Stingray*.

Oh, and a Warwick*.

* This is all since I've been "active" on Basschat. I was quite sane before that. 😁

Hi Ricky,

I know what you mean about the last thing you said. Very easy to get carried away when you see all the goodies that are around. As for the Stingray, I think you could look at it another way. I think you're dead right about doing some research first, and I get what you mean about being tempted because it's there, but I'd go and check this local one out as part of that research. If you look around, it should be easy enough to find out if it's a bit pricey and could well turn out not to be, but unless you've tried one before, you still don't know if you'd get on with it.  

Before I got mine, like you I'd fancied one for a while, but never tried one out. I hadn't seen mine, but was told about it being for sale and asked if I'd like to check it out. This was also when I was told that it was green, which I didn't like the sound of at all. I tried it out anyway, but was quite prepared to give it a swerve even if it was only because I didn't like the colour. As it turned out I really liked the colour and found great to play so I bought it. The point is that if I hadn't, I'd learned what they played and sounded like, which is the real important bit. Not much point shopping around for one in a colour I liked or in your case a better price before you know that first.

Marc.

• 2 years later...

Hi Marc Day ....I know you posted your first post in 2018, but in it you mention you have a custom guitar made by Doug Binskin and that he used a label called Erskine. I have a custom rosewood strat I bought in the early 80s from Andys of Denmark Street which also had that label. I was told it had been custom made for studio use but that's all I know.  If you know anything about this maker, I'd love to know more. 

Thanks

Mike

Hi Miccus,
I actually went to visit Doug 4 or 5 years ago when he was living near Ramsgate. At the time he had his house on the market and was planning to move back here to Maidstone which is our home town. I haven't spoken to him since, so I don't know how that went. I do know a few people that could help there, so leave it with me and I'll see what I can find out.
   Attached a pic of the bass he made for me around 85. You'll notice that the headstock is bare. Oddly enough, that was one reason for that visit. I was hoping that he'd put the Erskine logo on it, but he didn't have any decals at the time. I'd still like one.
    That rosewood Strat sounds really familiar. At the time he was making my bass I definitely recall him telling me that he'd made one or was making one for someone and that it weighed a ton, but the sustain went on forever. As I said I'll see what I can do.

Marc.

E1.JPG