Why become a member? ×

The very clever Mr Stuart Copeland..

bubinga5

Personally never liked SC's playing, but nevertheless appreciated his skill.

There's an upcoming programme on BBC4 featuring him on Friday January 11th , details here  https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2019/02/on-drums-stewart-copeland

It's part of a series of three programmes featuring drums, guitar and bass!

On 22/12/2018 at 11:41, Jus Lukin said:

'Just another session drummer'? Copeland is a great and unique player, but being a freelance drummer is hardly insult-worthy.

I don't think anyone suggested it was. The issue for me was the "Just another". I think most people see a session musician as being able play what the songwriter or producer wants. Dont bring anything to the table. Copeland's style was so recognisable that you would only use him if you particularly wanted his unique style. If you wanted just a good solid drummer you would use a session guy. One of the most significant drummers, he swings and grooves and makes even the simplest of music interesting and exciting. Listening to him made me play the drums again, and made me a better bass player.

21 hours ago, petebassist said:

Great musician. Always thought Aaron Copeland was his dad, but just googled it and he wasn't.

You might be thinking of 'Aaron Copland', the great American composer?

Stewart Copeland's dad, was a CIA officer, 'Miles Copeland'.

Sorry, just a bit of pointless trivia...

:D

1 hour ago, mikel said:

His dad was Miles Copeland Jnr, he of the CIA. Miles Copeland the 3d was Stewarts brother and manager of The Police.

Even more pointless and pedantic trivia.

And there's more. Apart from being a CIA founder, in typical, KGB style spy dezinformatsiya, he claimed to have spent a week playing 4th Trumpet in 'The Glenn Miller Orchestra'....

But, this has been discredited....xD

Edited by lowdown

54 minutes ago, KevB said:

He was in Curved Air for a bit so he's alright by me.

Opened for Curved Air a couple of times on their 2014 tour, liked their arty/proggy/folky thing back in the 70's.

Good muso's especially the bass player who was a really friendly fella...... Ms Kristina and Florian Pilkington Miksa were very aloof though.... wouldn't even acknowledge our presence, no hello, kiss my derrière, nothing....

Yeah, i'm sure it was 2014, maybe 2013....Vaguely remember bassist's name was 'Chris' now you mention it....perhaps SK and FPM had a cobb on that our manager had complained about them spending nearly an hour working on new material while soundchecking preventing us from having one!....Rock and roll eh

Nothing much more to it than that really....We were polite and remained as professional as possible and waited...and waited.....and waited. No access to the stage while they (she) was on it and had to wait to build my kit around their gear when they were done....As a result of this we reduced the set by 2 or 3 songs and i only had time to throw together a scratch kit as they had used up our allocated soundcheck and were bleeding over into show time....The best we could get was a line check.

I appreciate that it was their show as headliners but were totally uncooperative {apart from the bass player fella} to us as a mere support band... The point we made that was relayed to their management and the promoter was - we had sold tickets too and had people travelling a fair way to see us play a 45 minute set reduced to 30....These things happen all the time as it's just the nature of the beast....You roll with it or go back to playing in pubs.

• Like 1

I'm with you there, it can be stressful and shows when you take to the stage to ply your craft....Though punters more often than not see the tension, you and your band know you've had a howler of a gig!

My next gig will probably be a pub and with a different instrument too.....If it ever happens.