Why become a member? ×

The very clever Mr Stuart Copeland..

bubinga5

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I don't know who quoted him as 'just another session drummer', but whoever it was needs himself shot!

Quite. He argued with Sting because they both cared so much about the music. Without his drumming the Police would have sounded nothing like they did. I saw them at the Mayfair in Newcastle just after the release of the first album. Copeland was a revelation, the following weekend I went out and bought myself a drum kit. He inspired me that much.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Brilliant and very talented drummer. . . though probably not the easiest person for Sting and his ego to be in a band with.

There, fixed.  :) Two immense talents in a band without the shared vision doesn't often work.  

1 hour ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Copeland is just so awesome!  I feel quite humbled at the number of things he's got going on there and still keeps perfect time.

He always says that keeping time is his biggest weakness.

One of my favourite drummers. I’ll never forget as a teenager hearing my dad, who hates anything that isn’t Jazz and thinks that all non-Jazz drummers are rubbish, comment when the Police came on the car radio, “who is this drummer? He’s really good”.

• Like 1

I've never been a Police fan, on the other hand the few things by Copeland alone I happened to listen to were much more interesting. I really liked the soundtrack for "Rumble Fish".

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

'Just another session drummer'? Copeland is a great and unique player, but being a freelance drummer is hardly insult-worthy.

Indeed.

Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta , JR Robinson, Hal Blaine, James Gadson, Jeff Porcaro, just another bunch of session players.

:D

• Like 1

I always thought he was a good drummer who didn't really get a chance to shine in The Police because they were so awful. It was nice to hear him playing with Stanley Clark in 'Animal Logic'. He did the drums for Stanley's 'Night School' show a few years back and absolutely smashed the kit. 

As my mate likes to remind me, he also wrote the score for the PS1 game 'Spyro the Dragon'. 

• Like 1

Copeland got involved in writing scores for film and tv many years ago, musically a lot of it sounded very samey but still creative and different to what was around at the time.

For those not aware of this complete curveball album check out The rhythmatist here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoznqZqYGyM

He did the Buddy Rich 'bang on a rock in Africa and see if it resonates' thing, which even then in the 80's he was criticised for for being ever so slightly pretentious. Loved it when it came out as i was exploring Worldmusic.

I’ve always loved his drumming.

In a previous band the guitarist and I wanted to play Message In A Bottle. Our drummer moaned that the drumming in it was ‘easy’ and ‘crap’. That drummer didn’t last much longer. I don’t think I’d ever heard such ridiculous musical rant ever.

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

. . . and Earl Palmer, Al Jackson and Roger Hawkins.

There should be a great drummers thread - may be already , for all I know .

Jeff Porcaro , was awesome , as is James Oldaker . Not forgetting Steve Ferrone - one of our own home grown