Why become a member? ×

Help - Carbon fibre endpin

Burns-bass

Hi all, short story is a guy in my office snapped the endpin on my bass. It was laid on the floor and he walked by and did it. It was an accident.

It’s a Glasser unit and retails for about £60 (https://m.thomann.de/gb/glasser_carbon_bass_endpin.htm)

I could buy another unit entirely, but I thought I’d see if anyone here had a 10mm carbon (or any material) endpin for sale?

Oh and before anyone says, the guy has done a lot of favours for me over the years and while this is annoying, I’m not going to get upset or demand he fix it because it was a genuine accident and partially my fault for leaving it on the floor in a communal space.

Reckon I could fix that for you.  I've some carbon twill weave tube and epoxy resin in the garage.  If you want it done, pm me for an address.  No charge beyond postage .. fixing carbon things is something I enjoy doing for fun.

It won't look quote the same mind, but who's going to be looking down there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, therealting said:

Sorry I wasn’t clear - I have a normal endpin and was wondering whether the Glasser is a worthwhile replacement for reasons stated above.

Ahh, sorry - my fault for misunderstanding.

Yes I’d say they are a good replacement. I left the bass on the floor in a shared space with the pin extended. It broke because it was hit with force, not because it’s partricularly fragile in any way. Carbon is really strong.

Had I used a steel endpin for example the damage could have been more severe.

Entirely up to you but don’t let my experiences put you off. I’d also say that the Glasser company in the States have been really helpful too when I’ve contacted them.

I have a Glasser carbon endpin in my bass. The endpin unit is an excellent device, but I'm not so sure about the carbon pin itself. It's not very rigid, and having changed to using fixed wooden endpins from Ben Bastin, I feel like the bass is louder and more focused, so the carbon pin is surplus. If you want it, it's yours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilp said:

I have a Glasser carbon endpin in my bass. The endpin unit is an excellent device, but I'm not so sure about the carbon pin itself. It's not very rigid, and having changed to using fixed wooden endpins from Ben Bastin, I feel like the bass is louder and more focused, so the carbon pin is surplus. If you want it, it's yours.

That’s very generous. I’ll send you a message. 

• 2 weeks later...

We use carbon fibre on boats because it's light and because it bends a long way before it breaks (which it usually does somewhat explosively) ie it is nice and flexy.  The Glasser pin sent me by Burnsbass is under repair (first attempt failed during load testing sadly); it's a tube with 10mm outer and 8mm inner diameters; it seems pretty stiff but I guess if you have a small bass and or play (modern style) with the bass well out in front of you - then it would flex more than a stout metal or wooden one.  And looking at the girth of Ben Bastin's pins, I am not suprised they are stiff!!!!!

The Glasser pin does have a very nice, very sharp, machined metal spikey bit on the end, which I reckon would make a nice hole in anyone's hardwood concert hall stage (!!) but as we are all obliged to use bits of carpet, rubber ferules and other such devices - it may not come into play unless you were attacked on the way home.

Glasser could use a solid carbon rod (what's called a pultrusion) or better still, a pultruded rod wrapped in cross-weave - THAT might be stiffer, and rather stronger, but would cost him more in materials.  10mm diameter rods and tubes are about £12 /m btw, so most of the cost of a glasser pin is probably that nice metal spike (and the Glasser NY sticker).

PS:  NeilP .. does the rubber end of your Ben Bastin pin stick to the floor well?  It looks too fat to go in an anti-slip device, so I guess needs to work all on its own.  Ta.