Why become a member? ×

Tried a Dingwall combustion NG today

mingsta

Not that I'm looking, but my mate was trying some stuff out at andertons so we had a fiddle with about a dozen basses in the throne room. 

Lots of nice basses but nothing really grabbed me apart from the Dingwall, it's a fricken monster! Super playable, lightweight and killer punchy tone. Reminded me of a bongo, so I wasn't surprised when I found out it was basswood. 

Anyone got one of these beasts?!? Let's see some pics! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saved said:

The funny thing is that,all the "wood experts" dont like basswood because its used in cheap basses.My vig cobra is basswood and it sounds amazing

Turns out it's alder. Not that i perved it on the Internet as soon as I got home or anything. But as a bongo owner, I'd agree that there's nothing wrong with a bit of basswood. It's even got bass in the name FFS! 

Edited by mingsta
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mingsta said:

Turns out it's alder. Not that i perved it on the Internet as soon as I got home or anything. But as a bongo owner, I'd agree that there's nothing wrong with a bit of basswood. It's even got bass in the name FFS! 

Yup, like Alder there is good and there is bad. Basswood has been a good choice for some really full sounding guitars over the years. 

• Like 1

Though you make sense in a way I don't totally agree:  swapping some bodies and necks on basses I had (Stingrays)  let me hear huge différences that will be still hearable with  active electronics corrections and  lots of effects behind.  Core tone of an instument is a big deal soundwise.

1 hour ago, garyt said:

I played a load of basses in Andertons the other day, and the Dingwall NG2s were probably my favourite.   It just seems wierd when you look down. 

Yup the fanned frets freaked me out but I can see how you'd quickly adjust. I'm not a big fan of how the bass looks, but it was bloody amazing to play.

Did you see that £7k Warwick? They're brave just hanging it on the wall like that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21 December 2018 at 23:32, mingsta said:

Yup the fanned frets freaked me out but I can see how you'd quickly adjust. I'm not a big fan of how the bass looks, but it was bloody amazing to play.

Did you see that £7k Warwick? They're brave just hanging it on the wall like that. 

Yes, I saw the £7k Warwick.  I did think about playing it, but then thought better not - I could afford the deposit and the interest free payments are just about manageable (that's the mental thoughts that we're going through my brain as I thought about playing it, luckily sanity kicked in).

I will go back for another play on the NG2s .  Love that low B .