Why become a member? ×

Backing with Tolex

untune

Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum to post in!

Over the last couple of years I've been building a mic preamp/instrument amp for bass and I've managed to make a push to finish it lately.

I've pieced together a plywood box (only small - like a small amp head) and I want to back it with some nice Marshall style British racing green tolex I have.

I've never used tolex before and obviously don't want to get it wrong, I know how to overlap and do corners etc, but there are two holes in it - one in the top as a vent for the valves, and one on the back for an input/output plate.  I was hoping someone who had worked on backing amps or cabs could give some guidance of the best way to approach it.  I could wrap the top bottom and sides then try to fold down to cover the gap at the back panel, or there might be a better option.

I've attached a couple of pics - any input is hugely appreciated!

Cheers

IMG_20181213_195914-01.jpeg

IMG_20181213_195926-01.jpeg

Edited by untune

• 3 weeks later...

I think you're on the right lines with the folding down option i.e. place the starting ‘seam’ underneath (hidden), wrap the tolex around the main body of the case and then fold in as necessary.

If you were using edging strips along all corners/edges then perhaps a sheet per side would be the better option.

I’m mindful that you may have completed this project by now as it’s been a while since you posted. I did attempt this myself once with a Trace case using suitable tolex but it was a disaster (think bubbles)! However, the Marshall (elephant skin) stuff covers a multitude of sins. A mate of mine very kindly completed my project using it and it looks great.

Edited by Deedee