Why become a member? ×

Wall hangers - good or bad?

LITTLEWING

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Although I probably wouldn't (and I would love one of those), I don't see that you wouldn't be able to use a hanger if you could find one wide enough

The headstock doesn't widen like on a bass, and all the weight would bear on the first pair of tuners... Probably less than ideal!

17 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Some basses don't lend themselves to wall hangers. Obviously headless basses, but Telebasses aren't a good idea either with the thin headstock. The cut of the headstock can also make the bass want to hang to one side.

I use the "swing string" ones. They pivot, and the bass will hang naturally, whatever its shape.

• Like 1

Mine are fixed to a strip of wood with screws into plasterboard fixings and additional screws into the wooden batons behind the plasterboard. I added them later as i found the weight was pulling the plasterboard screws from the wall over time. The heavier woodscrews did the job and i check them regularly just in case. 5 basses on top strip of wood and 2 on the lower strip . See pic

bass room 002.JPG

I must admit they look cool hanging. However for some reason I don’t like doing it. I keep mine in a triple ‘Scott Dixon’ road case which lives at the far end of my desk. When closed it protects them from temperature fluctuations and dust. 

I didn't have cases for them all and its a small bass cave not big enough to have them all on floor stands. Obvious choice was wall hangers.

I only keep 2 hard cases and one soft case for my basses. Hard cases for gigging and soft case for rehearsals as less risk going to rehearsals as i don't take amps.

Dave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I didn't have cases for them all and its a small bass cave not big enough to have them all on floor stands. Obvious choice was wall hangers.

I only keep 2 hard cases and one soft case for my basses. Hard cases for gigging and soft case for rehearsals as less risk going to rehearsals as i don't take amps.

Dave

Yeah my hard cases are in the garage but the triple case I have is really narrow, much less than three cases and considerably less so than one of those ‘racks’ you can get. Works quite well. But yeah if you’ve got no floor space then the walls are next. When the walls are full you’ve got the ceiling!

AE63F8F3-788D-4D06-A5B8-46284130FF19.jpeg

• Like 2

The only downside to wall hangers is that if your instrument is finished in nitrocellulose lacquer, as the rubber on the hangers reacts with the lacquer.

Used to have mine hung up in one of the old houses, can't do it here though unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I don't understand the use of "basses as decoration". Mine live in their cases unless I need to play them.

I don't have cases for all my basses. Not for decoration, its to keep them stored somewhere and floor area is too small 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Any bass of mine in a case doesn't get played. If it doesn't get played it gets sold. Therefore if I put a bass in a case it means that it is going to end up sold!

Sometimes I will pick up a bass and play it for a minute and put it back because I have an idea I thought about - if there was a case in the way that would stop that. I guess it works for people in tidy or big houses, I have neither!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Any bass of mine in a case doesn't get played. If it doesn't get played it gets sold. Therefore if I put a bass in a case it means that it is going to end up sold!

Sometimes I will pick up a bass and play it for a minute and put it back because I have an idea I thought about - if there was a case in the way that would stop that. I guess it works for people in tidy or big houses, I have neither!

That's true enough as sometimes i get a notion for something on a fretless or if i need to work something out and just need to spend a few minutes with a bass. It would be more a nuisance for me to open up cases or where you have several cases find the one you're looking for before opening.

I guess its each to their own and what you're used too If the room was bigger i might have gone down the route of floor stands. When i just had the 2 or 3 basses i used floor stands but they kept getting in the way or i kept knocking basses together if sitting down as room is a small bass cave