Why become a member? ×

Wall hangers - good or bad?

LITTLEWING

I'm not at all sure about hanging my basses on wall hangers or best storing them in cases any more. I have kept two cheapie 'go to' guitars on the wall for a couple of years and my other two giggers in their cases. Lately, the two on the wall have both developed the dreaded 'ski jump' at the last frets above the neck joint even though they're never in direct sunlight or near a radiator. The radiator in the 'music room' is only half on at this time of year to keep all the gear from getting cold and tarnished or damp.  My case bound basses are still absolutely bang on despite varying temperatures over the year and only require the usual rod tweak as they move a little in summer and winter.

Anybody else come across this wall hanging thing or Is it coincidence or is there some scientific gravity reason?

Most of mine hang on the wall and have always been fine ,I’ve a few in cases , and a few on a rack, I’ve found the worst thing for them is temperature change, I keep an old fender jazz bass in my summerhouse which gets cooler at night and always needs re tuning so the neck definitely moves.

8 minutes ago, Groove Harder said:

One of my wall hangers fell off the other day taking my Rickenbacker 4003 with it. Landed right on the edge of a slate hearth as well 😩 Bleeding plaster lathe walls! 

Strangely, the bass was tuned perfectly to drop d after the fall 😂

Tuned to “dropped” :P

slate hearth - your Rick wasn’t “fireglo” by any chance ?

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Makes them pretty secure but hard to get them off the wall when you want to play them!

Them = “the hangers”

having fixed the wood strip you can play with the spacing without drilling lots of holes in the wall  

Can't find the old thread about this... agreement was, make sure the wall is solid and the screws are long enough, and don't hang them on an outside wall where the temperature and humidity will vary more. Finding an internal wall which is solid enough might not be easy depending on the age and build quality of your house. 

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Is there any benefit to the bass itself (in particular the neck) from being "hung" rather than stored in a rack?

Being the sort of person that sits and thinks about this sort of crap, I'd say yes, although so small it's negligible. 

The strings are constantly trying to pull the head and bridge together. If a bass is stood on something, stand, floor whatever, then the bottom is supported and gravity will help the head move towards the bridge under string tension. If the bass is hung then the head is supported and gravity (the weight of the body) will help resist the pull of the strings. 

Very basically, if stood gravity tries to compress your bass, if hung gravity tries to stretch your bass. String tension tries to compress your bass and anything to counteract this has to be good, no? 

In reality the forces are so small it's not worth worrying about, but that's the way I see it. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Maude said:

Being the sort of person that sits and thinks about this sort of crap, I'd say yes, although so small it's negligible. 

The strings are constantly trying to pull the head and bridge together. If a bass is stood on something, stand, floor whatever, then the bottom is supported and gravity will help the head move towards the bridge under string tension. If the bass is hung then the head is supported and gravity (the weight of the body) will help resist the pull of the strings. 

Very basically, if stood gravity tries to compress your bass, if hung gravity tries to stretch your bass. String tension tries to compress your bass and anything to counteract this has to be good, no? 

In reality the forces are so small it's not worth worrying about, but that's the way I see it. 

I agree, in theory the weight of the body should keep the neck straight because when it’s hanging the weight is at the bottom