Why become a member? ×

Is it just me?

kevvo66

4 hours ago, peteb said:

Funnily enough I never rated that at all, but I was hooked as soon as I heard 'Man With The Child In His Eyes'. 

One of my 2 favourite singles, and in my top 5 tracks of all time. I believe she wrote it, or the bones of it at least, when she was 13. Genius. 

• Like 1

Despite being far far from my usual sort of music I have a few of the earlier albums and find that generally the singles are the worst ones on there. But I struggle with her as a person as every interview I have heard with her shows her to be a whinging self obsessed plonker and that’s does slightly detract from the music for me.

17 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Despite being far far from my usual sort of music I have a few of the earlier albums and find that generally the singles are the worst ones on there. But I struggle with her as a person as every interview I have heard with her shows her to be a whinging self obsessed plonker and that’s does slightly detract from the music for me.

Just goes to show. I always think she comes across as lovely, and extremely serious about her art (which I see as a positive).

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Just goes to show. I always think she comes across as lovely, and extremely serious about her art (which I see as a positive).

It’s the complaints about giving interviews and doing the ‘media circus’, whilst I appreciate the media can be intrusive, the nature of her business means that she clurtsbthe attention at times and then moans about the Very means of her publicity the next. I stopped listening to her albums for a year or so after one interview where she was particularly self indulgently annoyingly which bugged me. Then there are her political ramblings, I don’t need to know she is firmly in the right wing camp as it will just annoy me, whilst I appreciate she has a right to an opinion, as does Gary Linekar, or anyone else, but it doesn’t need to be aired publicly perhaps.

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

It’s the complaints about giving interviews and doing the ‘media circus’, whilst I appreciate the media can be intrusive, the nature of her business means that she clurtsbthe attention at times and then moans about the Very means of her publicity the next. I stopped listening to her albums for a year or so after one interview where she was particularly self indulgently annoyingly which bugged me. Then there are her political ramblings, I don’t need to know she is firmly in the right wing camp as it will just annoy me, whilst I appreciate she has a right to an opinion, as does Gary Linekar, or anyone else, but it doesn’t need to be aired publicly perhaps.

Have never had a problem with people airing their views publicly. I’d probably do the same. It’s up to others to either take on board or ignore, agree or disagree. As for being self-indulgent, that’s pretty much the nature of what she does and is something that could be aimed at any artist worth their salt. Still, I come from a fine art background so it’s all perfectly normal to me. 

8 hours ago, 4000 said:

Have never had a problem with people airing their views publicly. I’d probably do the same. It’s up to others to either take on board or ignore, agree or disagree. As for being self-indulgent, that’s pretty much the nature of what she does and is something that could be aimed at any artist worth their salt. Still, I come from a fine art background so it’s all perfectly normal to me. 

I generally agree with you, the exception is anyone with very right right/ far right wing views as I do not wish to support people of that nature in any way. I suppose it’s very selfish of me really to what to appreciate the music but without the ‘baggage’. I think what I was getting at more is not that they shouldn’t air those views if they choose to but that they should appreciate that if those views are extreme or unpleasant, or even just very different, to someone else’s then it may affect the listeners views of them. I would not personally buy any products from people advocating racist, extremist, homophobic etc views, and the vile way she discussed the immigration issues in this country fell into that category for me and the idea of her as this sort of slightly bonkers, whimsical genius was shattered and a very unpleasant individual was revealed. Very sad as a couple of her albums are on my favourites list with sensual world being a work of genius to me, even though I am normally listening to punk, grunge, hard rock.

Agreed I wouldn't give any artist the time of day who airs there political views, and especially those who are extremist, with their outdated Victorian views on life this we don't want at all in any shape or form, and if you do put in your music, but whining about you've run out of caviar for breakfast probably isn't a strong selling point for music!!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T-Bay said:

I generally agree with you, the exception is anyone with very right right/ far right wing views as I do not wish to support people of that nature in any way. I suppose it’s very selfish of me really to what to appreciate the music but without the ‘baggage’. I think what I was getting at more is not that they shouldn’t air those views if they choose to but that they should appreciate that if those views are extreme or unpleasant, or even just very different, to someone else’s then it may affect the listeners views of them. I would not personally buy any products from people advocating racist, extremist, homophobic etc views, and the vile way she discussed the immigration issues in this country fell into that category for me and the idea of her as this sort of slightly bonkers, whimsical genius was shattered and a very unpleasant individual was revealed. Very sad as a couple of her albums are on my favourites list with sensual world being a work of genius to me, even though I am normally listening to punk, grunge, hard rock.

Well I’ll admit I haven’t heard her making comments anything like that. I’d be interested to read them as they would very much go against my grain and it would very disappointing. I’m also rather surprised, as that doesn’t seem to marry at all with the person I’ve seen interviewed many times.

Still, trust the art, not the artist, as they say.

EDIT - well I’ve done a search and all I can find is that she likes Theresa May and is happy we’ve got a female Prime Minister, which isn’t a huge surprise. Whilst that in itself is mildly disappointing, that doesn’t necessarily mean she agrees with every opinion Theresa May has ever held or is in some way “far right”. Can you point me in the right - if you’ll excuse the pun - direction? BTW, links to rags like the Daily Fail don’t count.😉

Edited by 4000
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Well I’ll admit I haven’t heard her making comments anything like that. I’d be interested to read them as they would very much go against my grain and it would very disappointing. I’m also rather surprised, as that doesn’t seem to marry at all with the person I’ve seen interviewed many times.

EDIT - well I’ve done a search and all I can find is that she likes Theresa May and is happy we’ve got a female Prime Minister, which isn’t a huge surprise. Whilst that in itself is mildly disappointing, that doesn’t necessarily mean she agrees with every opinion Theresa May has ever held or is in some way “far right”. Can you point me in the right - if you’ll excuse the pun - direction? BTW, links to rags like the Daily Fail don’t count.😉

I can 100% guarantee it won’t be the daily Fail as I wouldn’t lower myself to read that rubbish, it was an interview given on Dutch radio a few years back (I used to live in the Netherlands) where she was effectively blaming immigration on the problems in several UK cities and saying she didn’t feel safe in Rotterdam for the same reasons. She didn’t use the term immigration but said something like ‘influx of masses of different cultures that don’t get on together’ or something like that. I also remember her being against same sex marriage but can’t for the life of me remember where I heard that.

I will try and find something on it, but it was a few years ago so not sure how successful I will be. I understand what you say regarding art/ artists but sadly it’s hard to separate the two. I wasn’t a fan of Gary Glitter, but I bet the majority of his fans are less inclined to listen to his stuff now (not that I am comparing her comments to Glitters actions obviously, just an example of how it’s hard to separate the person and their actions from their art).

3 hours ago, 4000 said:

This. . .

I know nothing of KB's political leanings, and care even less, but if extreme political views puts you off you should also be boycotting anything made in China, Russia, the Middle East, the Far East and a lot of what is made in the US, Africa and South America. Doesn't leave much, does it? These people are actually doing nasty stuff rather than just talking about it.

Most major companies are run by people you would never ask to tea, and as for politicians and presidents. . . .  if you shot every dictator there would be 10 people fighting to take their place.

Just appreciate good tunes. No matter where they come from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 20/12/2018 at 12:55, kevvo66 said:

Just heard Kate Bush on the radio is it just me I can't understand a word she sings, some xmas dribble of a song, awful pure torture

Totally get what you mean

Dribble is her middle name. Never got why she is so popular, although its seems she is more ‘hip’ than popular. 

Bland self indulgent wailing springs to mind. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

To be honest, there’s not really a lot of point to these kind of threads, either “I can’t stand so and so”, or “so and so is fantastic”. All they ever end up in is a percentage of people agreeing and a percentage of people disagreeing. 99% of the time minds are already made up. All they ever prove is that we’ve all got different tastes, which is how it should be.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

To be honest, there’s not really a lot of point to these kind of threads, either “I can’t stand so and so”, or “so and so is fantastic”. All they ever end up in is a percentage of people agreeing and a percentage of people disagreeing. 99% of the time minds are already made up. All they ever prove is that we’ve all got different tastes, which is how it should be.

Pretty much spot on. 

4 hours ago, DJpullchord said:

Fascist...

Seriously..?

Fascisme ...

"...
Fascists believe that liberal democracy is obsolete and they regard the complete mobilization of society under a totalitarian one-party state as necessary to prepare a nation for armed conflict and to respond effectively to economic difficulties. Such a state is led by a strong leader—such as a dictator and a martial government composed of the members of the governing fascist party—to forge national unity and maintain a stable and orderly society. Fascism rejects assertions that violence is automatically negative in nature and views political violence, war and imperialism as means that can achieve national rejuvenation. Fascists advocate a mixed economy, with the principal goal of achieving autarky (national economic self-sufficiency) through protectionist and interventionist economic policies.

Since the end of World War II in 1945, few parties have openly described themselves as fascist and the term is instead now usually used pejoratively by political opponents. The descriptions neo-fascist or post-fascist are sometimes applied more formally to describe parties of the far-right with ideologies similar to, or rooted in, 20th-century fascist movements.
"

Really..? o.O

It's apparent from articles a couple of years ago that she approved of Theresa May in very strong terms. Given Peter Gabriel's political views, it doesn't seem so likely that she'd have been an ardent right-winger at the time of "Don't give up".

As for the voice and the material - liked the first three or four albums but "Hounds of love" was IMNSHO rubbish.

I read this really interesting article a year or so ago that was talking about Joanna Newsom and Kate Bush and how more individual singing styles if you are a man, and you can be a musical genius with one (Eg Dylan) but with women with individual singing styles they will always be written about a quirky, odd etc 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1