Why become a member? ×

NBD!

uk_lefty

Well this was unexpected! A tax rebate, a few things going well and a quick trip to Denmark street led me to acquiring a brand new, 3 EQ USA stingray! it's a bass I'd always lusted after, but like so many you see your hero's play it but you don't know if it's going to be practical for yourself. I played a Sterling by Ernie Ball a few years ago and didn't think much of it. This USA Stingray has such a punchy and rounded sound, it's like a recorded and processed bass sound but coming from your fingers. As I said to the guys in the shop you can drive yourself mad looking at a plethora of options online, sometimes you just want to play something and go "yep! That's the one". I played a USA Jazz too and really enjoyed that, but felt the Stingray was better suited to playing live in my covers band which is leaning towards becoming an 80's cover band.

So here it is.

IMG-20181207-WA0013.jpg

I also have to say the guys in Wunjo are superb. No pressure sales, gave me a good trade in on my old jazz bass too. Top marks for customer service!

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Waiting for the inevitable "Yes but have you noticed it's back to front, hahaha" comment, in 10, 9, 8.... 😉😎

Congrats, it's beautiful. enjoy. :)

Must have been a left handed photographer then......

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Took it to its first band practice last night. Wow. I know a lot of people love the 2 EQ version but I really like the mid bump I can bring in on the 3 EQ. I read elsewhere that keeping  the mid flat, maxing the bass and  giving a slight treble  boost gets v close to the 2 EQ sound... whether true or not is irrelevant it gives a great tone! I can vary the tones but always get something that cuts through and sits nicely with two guitars. I love the neck too, I don't know of I've got rolled fingerboard edges because I don't really know what that means but it's just so easy to play. I'm finding the fingerboard very flat with the frets looking smaller than I was used to on my jazz. I like the rosewood board too, I think a maple board with the ash body and the huge pickup might be a bit too much, I need to calm the highs on this quite a bit as is, and my Sire is ash/ maple and can sound brittle in the highs.

Overall I'm blown away by this. If I was buying a "recording bass" for studio work (I don't do any) or just playing at home I'd have got a new USA Fender jazz, but for playing 80's covers at functions I just wanted the big, round punchy sound from a bass I know will only ever sound excellent. I'm a happy bunny.

You can see where the extra money goes. I didn't play it but I picked up a bottom of the range SUB on a shop months back and found it to have some sharp fret ends, scraggly bits of pickguard not tidied after cutting and generally plain looking neck wood. I don't think it would have felt anywhere near as nice to play. However if my Stingray love in continues to the point where I can't use anything else I may be buying a SUB as a backup and/ or to de-fret.

Top marks again to Wunjos, it's nice when you feel that someone genuinely appreciates your custom when spending new USA Stingray money, and they accepted my MIM Jazz in trade "warts and all" as it was a well used gigging bass. 

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Took it to its first band practice last night. Wow. I know a lot of people love the 2 EQ version but I really like the mid bump I can bring in on the 3 EQ.

You and me both when it comes to 3 band EQs and being able to give the mids a nudge :) 

Glad it's working out so well! 

Totally agree about Wunjos btw - my favourite little bass shop in town.

On 19/12/2018 at 20:54, Silvia Bluejay said:

Waiting for the inevitable "Yes but have you noticed it's back to front, hahaha" comment, in 10, 9, 8.... 😉😎

Congrats, it's beautiful. enjoy. :)

Sorted

right_way_round.png.bc88423138ef0b2f3517608022e96f5b.png

21 minutes ago, MoJo said:

Sorted

right_way_round.png.bc88423138ef0b2f3517608022e96f5b.png

Great. You've now made me right handed in what is clearly a left handed bass shop!!! I just can't escape this wrong handedness!

Incidentally what software or app did you use to do that? I've got a load of old holiday selfies that are mirrored and I need to re-mirror them so they're the right way round. Ta

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Great. You've now made me right handed in what is clearly a left handed bass shop!!! I just can't escape this wrong handedness!

Incidentally what software or app did you use to do that? I've got a load of old holiday selfies that are mirrored and I need to re-mirror them so they're the right way round. Ta

Software package is called GIMP

Available to download here

• 4 weeks later...

So two gigs in and I'm LOVING this bass. Not in the way we all love something new and a bit different but I honestly don't know why it took me so long to just get a Stingray. 

Reasons for the deep and meaningful love:

Feel of the neck - the finish makes me play faster, the profile makes me play so comfortably... I see photos from gigs and my fingers are in "correct" formation and my thumb isn't peeking over the top. Winner.

The presence of the sound is huge. I loved my MIM Jazz despite its drawbacks but used to have to dig in so hard I'd badly blister my fingertips. With the Ray I played a long function gig last week and a pub gig this weekend and no blisters at all. I don't need to dig in to get that big, full sound. 

The EQ - I bypass the EQ on my amp now. Despite having a huge and very versatile multi FX I was seriously considering not using that either. I just get a big fat bass sound that sits perfectly, giving me lots of presence in with two guitars without mushing up anyone elses frequency. I barely adjust the EQ when I play.

Weight - I never really got in to all the discussion about weight of basses bit this does feel very light compared to almost all my other basses that I've owned. It's just comfortable to play for long sets.

Looks - it looks great. We were in the background of some professional photos at our last function and the bass looks great. Also with the natural finish and glossy coat I don't get greasy fingermarks like a lot of painted basses. It looks a million times better than my Sire in natural ash and black pickguard too.

The fretboard - the rosewood board takes away any brittleness in the highs. I like some snappy brittleness off a maple board but can do without having to dial it in or out or tame it, so it just isn't an issue now. If I want the highs I roll them up on the EQ.  

Pick playing - I played with a pick this weekend a fair bit more than I usually would and I was really pleased with the output. It was a bit of an experiment but it just gave me that drive a pick can give but without being scratchy and loud and uncontrollable like it can with some basses. 

The only improvement? I want to add a drop D tuner. Then my five string would be out of work. Any recommendations?

None of this will be news to Stingray owners, but if like me you were on the fence about them, or about the cash outlay, I hope this helps.

On 28/01/2019 at 10:17, uk_lefty said:

I want to add a drop D tuner. Then my five string would be out of work. Any recommendations?

Drop D tuners are great - I have one on both my lefty Precision and Stingray. You need a Hipshot BT1, treble side, short key for the Stingray.

The only slight annoyance with these is that it's based on their own HB1 tuner, rather than a MM tuner, so it looks different, and it has a higher gear ratio. 

• Like 1