Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Bass Strings

WHUFC BASS

On 21/12/2018 at 07:58, police squad said:

Does anyone remember Rotosound Spacer strings? roundwound and black coated? used them a lot in the early 90s but I don't remember what they were like, they looked cool

I had them on a bass when I was about 16 or 17 so that would have been around 1991ish. The black coating came off very quickly so they ended up looking patchy and grey. I also remember them being rough as toast

Being still at school and only making paperboy wages I had to keep them on for ages until I could afford another set

Edited by Delberthot

I managed to get a set of Rotosound R66 Swing Bass strings and put them on the Spector.

A few initial observations:

1. Noticaibly less zingy than D'addarios which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing at the moment. Usually with brand new strings (especially the DR Hi-Beams) there's a little too much zing for my liking.

2. Slightly rougher feeling than other D'addarios although not to the point that they're uncomfortable. I don't know if this is going to have an effect on the frets long-term but I'd be surprised if they did.

3. Quite aggressive and "big" sounding without too many overtones.

On 22/12/2018 at 16:56, Marvin said:

I find Rotosounds quite rough feeling. Also, they don’t seem to last very long, the zing disappears quite quickly.

I love that rough feeling. I’m not generally that keen on smooth feeling strings, one of the things I hate about flats.

• Like 1

I have used D'Addario for years and never saw reason to change until a tousled hair Orang Utan started making noises in Washington. Shortly after I swore, no more American goods ... not an easy decision because there is so much quality and innovation. I strung my 2nd bass with Rotosound Swings and my first reaction was why did I ever change? Very good. For no reason than fun, my 2nd bass has become my 1st and the strings have been on it for 10 months and still sound fine (I'm not a brightness fan). I'm going to try the nickel set next but no more D'Addario for at least the next few years!

I generally find out what strings work for whatever bass I have a mind to use. A while back, I was exclusively using my Wal and was using D'Addarrio pro steels. When they went off, I took out a set of roto66 swing bass. After putting them on I played them for maybe 10 minutes and took them off. Awful. They'd already started going off after 10 minutes and had none of the complex, rich harmonics and overtones which I want. Just not as alive as you would expect straight out of the packet. Maybe I got a bad set, who knows.

Ironically, the nickel rounds were great on my Wal, and I use steel rounds on my 8 string which work very well. DR blues turned out to be the sound of me and my Wal in the end.

I hasten to say, when the octave G on my 8 string set snapped whilst I was putting it on (I'd only got to C# whilst tuning up) Jason sent me 2 the next day. Customer service and then some.

I bought some roto 66 nickels the other week when I wanted some 40-100 for my jazz.

I used to use them all the time when I was about 20/21.

I have to say I’m disappointed, they’re just duff strings.

I need to restring all 6 (soon to be 7) basses with the same sets soon.

Where do I get good bulk discount? Might have to get in touch with my mate who has d’addario strings in his shop.

NYXL’s bit of a treat.

I put a set of Rotosound 40-100 nickels on my Maruszczyk Elwood. They were nothing amazing. Very high tension for 40-100 probably the same as a standard set of 45-105 strings. I had them on my bass for six months so they didn't owe me anything once they were done. The problem arose when it came to changing the strings out. The fretwear presented to me was on par with what my 14year Lakland has that has only ever worn Prosteel and Elixir SS strings it's whole life! This is from 6months usage of the nickel set! I can't imagine how bad itd be from using Rotos flag ship Steel strings!

Edited by Smythe
Grammar/ spelling
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Smythe said:

...The fretwear presented to me was on par with what my 14year Lakland has that has only ever worn Prosteel and Elixir SS strings it's whole life!...

This ^^ could also be explained by difference in fret material, perhaps..? :/

Hmmm ....

Did a full set back to back with self practising today (around 3 hours playing) and really noticed the rough feeling of the strings which after a while began to affect my concentration. Not had that before on any other set of strings I've used. Surprises me Rotosound haven't addressed this issue, simply by comparing with other sets of strings from different manufacturers. Also noticing they're starting to sound a lot more dull in a comparatively short space of time. I really want to like Rotosound but they're making it difficult at the moment.

On 29/12/2018 at 11:08, Dad3353 said:

This ^^ could also be explained by difference in fret material, perhaps..? :/

Same material. Nickel frets on both. The Elwood had Dunlop Super bright  Steels on pretty much from when I bought it 8 months prior to installing the Roto RB40's  with tiniest signs of fret wear underneath from the Super Bright Steels. The Roto's caused significantly more wear in their time scale on the bass (around 6 months) . Fortunately, the frets don't require a dress yet, they just have slight flattening of the crowns where the strings go over them. 

Edited by Smythe

• 3 weeks later...

I can only use stainless steel strings, as I suffer from an allergy to nickel. It's not a bother though, as I prefer the bright sound of steels. I always used to use Elites, but they became so expensive that I changed to Rotosound 66's. If I'm feeling really skint, I will buy Coban stainless strings £ 5.99 a pack.